STUFF THAT WHITE PEOPLE LIKE!!!

BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
edited February 2008 in Strut Central
http://stuffwhitepeoplelike.wordpress.com/OMG, soulstrut catnip!!!!Witness #69: Mos Def.

Comments

• mandrewmandrew 2,720 Posts
    bicycles
    expensive sandwiches
    knowing whats best for poor people
    divorce
    michel gondry

hahahaha, this guy really has us down

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    bicycles
    expensive sandwiches
    divorce
    michel gondry

Wait - I like expensive sandwiches and gondry.

OH SHIT...am I white?

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    bicycles
    expensive sandwiches
    divorce
    michel gondry

OH SHIT...am I white?

Ask Harvey.

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    I'm relatively sure the two dudes behind this are Asian and Canadian. HAH!

Perhsps I can follow in Paul Kariya's dad's footsteps one day.....

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    The only possible negative consequence of this thread[/b] is some white people might think ???I wish I had posted[/b] that first.???

Wha?

C'mon, you know you thought it was pretty funny.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    The only possible negative consequence of this thread[/b] is some white people might think ???I wish I had posted[/b] that first.???

Wha?

C'mon, you know you thought it was pretty funny.

so is anyone going to submit soulstrut as #71?

• dollar_bindollar_bin I heartily endorse this product and/or event 2,326 Posts
    If I don't like all of those things, does that mean I can no longer be white?

• bicycles
    expensive sandwiches
    divorce
    michel gondry

OH SHIT...am I white?

I am not saying your first name sounds white, just that everyone I know with it was white.

I am joking. My snarky comments are only AA ball. I am not a good strutter. I need to poast more. Poasting on Message Boards in the 5th element of hip hop, ya'heard.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    this website is v. suspect. apparently white people ... tend to have liberal values

Obviously these are stereotypes.

does that make them not funny?

• waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts
    This is a very comprehensive list of white likes. But I don't think they listed golf yet.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts

It's not funny, cause it's not very funny.

It's not funny, cause it's not very funny.

ho hum. i liked it.

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    So when white people go to concerts at smaller venues, what to do they do? They stand still! This is an important part of white concert going as it enables you to focus on the music, and it will prevent drawing excess attention to you. Remember, at a concert everyone is watching you just waiting for you to try to start dancing. Then they will make fun of you.

The result is Belle and Sebastian concerts that essentially looks more like a disorganized line of people than a music event.

If you find yourself invited to a concert with a white person, do NOT expect to dance. Prepare yourself for three hours of standing reasonably still. It is also advised to get a beer or (if legal) a cigarette so you have something to do with your hands. Although it is acceptable to occasionally raise one hand and point just above the stage.

Note: the addition of the drug ecstasy changes everything.

It's funny because it's true.

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    I like white people and black people. And all shades in between.
    I just don't dig Greyboy these days.

What is it with all this black/white stuff? I don't get it, and don't know why it holds so much fascination for strutters in general.

I am from England. Maybe that's the reason.
    Maybe being remote from any American tensions in this area is the reason I don't feel it.
    For which I am thankful.

• magpaulmagpaul 1,314 Posts

What is it with all this black/white stuff? I don't get it, and don't know why it holds so much fascination for strutters in general.

Maybe being remote from any American tensions in this area is the reason I don't feel it.
    For which I am thankful.

oh because England has no racial divides.

For which I am thankful.

not saying that.
    Just it's not a national pastime in the UK anymore.
    The PC police have taken that game away, and the place is ALL the better for it.
    You find racism on both sides if you look for it, and maybe you don't have to dig too deep, but that game is no longer on the agenda.
    Feels a whooooooole lot better than when growing up in the 70's.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts

For which I am thankful.

not saying that.
    The PC police have taken that game away, and the place is ALL the better for it.
    You find racism on both sides if you look for it, and maybe you don't have to dig too deep, but that game is no longer on the agenda.

You really don't want to open this can of worms on soulstrut.

But you asked. so.

The way I see it, Amercians are hung up on race, in the same way the British are hung up about class.
    If you changed the title of that list to "Things posh people like", it would make more sense to an Brit. You'd have to remove a few things but I think you get the idea.

As for the reason behind this, they're obviously complex, and you wont really find the answer on the internet.

For which I am thankful.

not saying that.

But you asked. so.

The way I see it, Amercians are hung up on race, in the same way the British are hung up about class.
    If you changed the title of that list to "Things posh people like", it would make more sense to an Brit. You'd have to remove a few things but I think you get the idea.

As for the reason behind this, they're obviously complex, and you wont really find the answer on the internet.

and that's why I'm getting the hell out of this thread!

• If I don't like all of those things, does that mean I can no longer be white?
    you wish

• magpaulmagpaul 1,314 Posts

For which I am thankful.

not saying that.

But you asked. so.

the class issue shows how the brits can barely tolerate other white people, let alone different races.

this is a certified 20 pager, so i'm out.

• djdazedjdaze 3,099 Posts

For which I am thankful.

not saying that.

I'm sure it's better than the 70's but at least here in america you don't hear a whole staduim full of people at sporting events chanting, "I'd rather be a Paki than a (black, turk, kiwi, etc)" or other worse shit.

• OMG

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    OMG

Oh shit! I didn't notice that until the second time I looked at it. The crappiness of the photoshopping on the straw only adds to the awesomeness.

• HamHam 872 Posts
    sneaking up from behind with an extra long extended pink straw. that's evil

• I'm sure it's better than the 70's but at least here in america you don't hear a whole staduim full of people at sporting events chanting, "I'd rather be a Paki than a (black, turk, kiwi, etc)" or other worse shit.

I don't know man, you get the kind of thing in Spain, people making monkey noises and throwing bananas on the pitch etc.. but not whole stadiums in the UK, maybe a minority of fans though...

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts

For which I am thankful.

Here's a rather insightful quote I jacked in full from Drewnice in another thread who jacked it in full from an article.

Hamilton showily claims that the "Delta blues" was actually born in the 1940s in a Brooklyn YMCA room, where an eccentric record collector named James McCune educated a circle of acolytes to appreciate Patton, Johnson and others as "voices that were untainted by the modern world." ... "All of them set out to find an undiluted and primal black music," Hamilton writes. "Behind that obsession lay an emotional attachment to racial difference dating back at least to the mid-nineteenth century, to abolitionists' enchantment with the peculiar power of black singers, their uncanny ability to allow their white listeners to experience an unimagined transcendence, a level of emotional intensity otherwise out of their reach." At their best, she grants, "they enriched understanding and broadened white horizons." But at their worst, "they fed on a faintly colonialist romance with black suffering, an eroticization of African-American despair."

Add the fact that Soulstrut is predominantly white and that soul and rap music were created by predominantly black performers. Mix with a healthy dose of awareness of this phenomenon by American white strutters (albeit mostly intuitively).

Voila! Race threads on Soulstrut.

• bluesnagbluesnag 1,285 Posts
    OMG

I DRINK YOUR MILKSHAKE!! I DRINK IT UP!!

For which I am thankful.

Here's a rather insightful quote I jacked in full from Drewnice in another thread who jacked it in full from an article.

Hamilton showily claims that the "Delta blues" was actually born in the 1940s in a Brooklyn YMCA room, where an eccentric record collector named James McCune educated a circle of acolytes to appreciate Patton, Johnson and others as "voices that were untainted by the modern world." ... "All of them set out to find an undiluted and primal black music," Hamilton writes. "Behind that obsession lay an emotional attachment to racial difference dating back at least to the mid-nineteenth century, to abolitionists' enchantment with the peculiar power of black singers, their uncanny ability to allow their white listeners to experience an unimagined transcendence, a level of emotional intensity otherwise out of their reach." At their best, she grants, "they enriched understanding and broadened white horizons." But at their worst, "they fed on a faintly colonialist romance with black suffering, an eroticization of African-American despair."

Add the fact that Soulstrut is predominantly white and that soul and rap music were created by predominantly black performers. Mix with a healthy dose of awareness of this phenomenon by American white strutters (albeit mostly intuitively).

Voila! Race threads on Soulstrut.

Sir you are an erudite and eloquent man. If I were on death row, I'd want you on my legal team arguing for leniency.
    But from my experience, a group of blues fans are not discussing abolitionists enhancements blah de blah, they are air-guitaring with a look on their face like they caught their sac in a zip.
    But it was an interesting read, for sure.

• verb606verb606 2,518 Posts

This is that Newsweek article, right? I thought that was a pretty interesting one. I was going to post it here but caught up with something else.

As for the blog, it's pretty funny. I didn't have time to read it all, but I wanted to point out his comment about Belle and Sebastian shows. Are B&S like the gentlest of gentle indie rock/folk? Who the hell is dancing at one of their shows? If I was there and someone started dancing in earnest I'd have to smack them and tell him to shut up because I can't hear the music over his caterwauling.

As a white dude, I'd rather be among a wall of standing hipsters then at a Greyboy All-Stars show surrounded by a bunch of neo-hippies doing that weird chicken wing dance they all do. That shit embarrasses me.