"WORLD'S GREATEST MUSIC COLLECTION!" ebay-R

124»

Comments

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    I'll bet he has an Andrews Sisters LP "worth $500." Fuck him.

Ive got that one. You can have it for $300.

or $400 next week.

It's the one with the nude gatefold, right? The one inspired by Mama Lion? What a deal! Sounds like you have the Second-Best Collection Ever.

• Rusty stays on his grind

Record Rama collection headed back to eBay
    Thursday, March 13, 2008
    By Scott Mervis, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Paul Mawhinney is ready to give eBay another shot.

The Record Rama archive of nearly 3 million records and CDs -- billed as the "World's Largest Music Collection" -- is going back up for auction on the site next Wednesday, this time with a starting bid of $100.

That's substantially lower than the $3 million it took to get into the bidding when it was on eBay last month. That auction ended on Feb. 21 with a fraudulent bid.

Since then, Mr. Mawhinney and agent J. Paul Henderson have entertained seven and eight prospective buyers at the Ross store/warehouse, which is currently closed.

"We didn't get an offer that was acceptable to us," Mr. Henderson said. "Some did not meet our minimum, some wanted payment terms we couldn't accept."

There will be a reserve on the eBay auction -- which means the bidder will have to meet an undeclared minimum set by the buyer -- and anyone bidding more than $1 million must be pre-approved. Those individuals also will have access to the database.

The auction will end March 29. Mr. Mawhinney is still hoping the buyer will preserve essential elements of the collection as an archive.

• dollar_bindollar_bin I heartily endorse this product and/or event 2,326 Posts
    Rusty stays on his grind

this time with a starting bid of $100.

Let the bungie bidding begin!

• Mr. Mawhinney is still hoping the buyer will preserve essential elements of the collection as an archive.

This self-serving prick has got some nerve.

• hammertimehammertime 2,389 Posts
    damn no one posted the best chapter in this saga:

Record-Rama owner Paul Mawhinney once again thinks he has a buyer for his nearly 3-million-record-album collection.

But he won't identify the bidder -- or the bid -- until it's official.

"I'm not going to say anything until I have something on paper," the 68-year-old Mawhinney said in a phone interview.

Forgive Mawhinney for being cautious about selling his 41-year-old business. A $3,002,150 bid on eBay turned out to be a "fraud," he said.

"The whole thing was a fraud. I think all six or eight bidders were frauds."

Mawhinney said the bidder visited his Ross Township store Monday afternoon and made an offer.

"They just left; they promised to call within an hour" (of leaving), Mawhinney said.

Asked if the offer was higher than the fraudulent $3 million-plus bid, Mawhinney said, "absolutely. Absolutely."

Mawhinney has already closed the business, but said he is still going to the location to conduct a mass of interviews.

Mawhinney also said the bidder plans to keep the location as storage and that the bidder planned to offer songs from the massive collection online for download.

"It's legal," he said, responding to whether the bidder had obtained a license to sell the songs for download. "It won't be (a fraud). He has a license."

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    damn no one posted the best chapter in this saga:

Record-Rama owner Paul Mawhinney once again thinks he has a buyer for his nearly 3-million-record-album collection.

But he won't identify the bidder -- or the bid -- until it's official.

"I'm not going to say anything until I have something on paper," the 68-year-old Mawhinney said in a phone interview.

Forgive Mawhinney for being cautious about selling his 41-year-old business. A $3,002,150 bid on eBay turned out to be a "fraud," he said.

"The whole thing was a fraud. I think all six or eight bidders were frauds."

Mawhinney said the bidder visited his Ross Township store Monday afternoon and made an offer.

"They just left; they promised to call within an hour" (of leaving), Mawhinney said.

Asked if the offer was higher than the fraudulent $3 million-plus bid, Mawhinney said, "absolutely. Absolutely."

Mawhinney has already closed the business, but said he is still going to the location to conduct a mass of interviews.

Mawhinney also said the bidder plans to keep the location as storage and that the bidder planned to offer songs from the massive collection online for download.

"It's legal," he said, responding to whether the bidder had obtained a license to sell the songs for download. "It won't be (a fraud). He has a license."

Wow.

• ...and he's giving me this great bridge too!

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    This guy is the biggest rube I've ever seen.

"My unprotected high-profile 3 million dollar minimum bid
    auction had fraudulent bidders! I can hardly believe it!"

• kwalitykwality 620 Posts

What the fuck is that? Do you sit a test to sell other people's music, the only claim on which you have is buying the record? Or is it just a given right when you buy a collection of junk?

• ariel_calmerariel_calmer 3,762 Posts

....to ill?

• selperfugeselperfuge 1,165 Posts
    just thinking about Paul Mawhinney with those rinked ass Barbara Streisands, and those big ass icons on his computer... just makes me want to burn this motherfucker down.

• SnagglepusSnagglepus 1,756 Posts
    "It won't be (a fraud). He has a license."

This kills me. A license? The 'I can sell anyone's music I goddamned want to because I bought a warehouse full of terds' license?

So I guess all Steve Jobs had to do to get the Beatles' music on iTunes was to buy this asshole's record collection.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    I've been seeing a lot of smaller record store websites "legitimately" selling MP3s on their sites and it doesn't make sense to me

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    Did this guy ever sell this mess?

• Did this guy ever sell this mess?

rumor has it that he did.

ok.
    for sure, everything that's been implied in this thread about this situation is true.
    i have to cop to being a regular (if not frequent) customer of this person, though, and i actually now miss this place as an option. sure pricing and everything were absurd, and it was long-picked over, and sure i would get a smarmy feeling just walking in and forcing myself to bring my talk-game. But you never know what could STILL be found. kind of on some Moerer-shit, where a few things were actually a GOOD buy at the prices that they somehow arrived at, and you could find some nice stock copies etc. I'd been able to still get HEAT there on most visits, and be reasonably happy with the deal (making it easier for me was that i'm not really a 'trendy-record' guy). for example, anyone who may have gotten a S*lhouettes LP from me in the past couple years...

file under: how much are you willing to grit your teeth, grin, and put up with shit in order to get at records that you want?

• pknypkny 549 Posts
    *BUMP*...looks like dude is *still* trying to sell his collection. Baba-booey paid him a visit, they showed himon VH1:

http://www.vh1.com/shows/for_what_its_worth/episode.jhtml?episodeID=205398