"WORLD'S GREATEST MUSIC COLLECTION!" ebay-R

Comments

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    just got the word that the winning bidder is from ireland?! WTF....

...and now NO LONGER A REGISTERED USER.[/b]

• just got the word that the winning bidder is from ireland?! WTF....

...and now NO LONGER A REGISTERED USER.[/b]

Big surprise. I say 99.9999999% of million dollar bidders are FAKE and

• ostost Montreal 1,375 Posts

"Paul Mawhinney examines a bacon sandwich worth $3.75."

I wish I knew how to hack into that page and change it.
    hahahahaha!

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    this is the worst kind of collector there is - the guy who collects just to "collect"

i dont know this guy's backstory, but something tells me that hes more about accumulating "records" than "music," if you get my drift.

theres a guy named Dave in Seattle who owns Bop St records, same deal. aka the vinyl graveyard where crappy records go to die...

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    I had a similar conundrum with my storage unit. I'm glad those records are in Korea now.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    Oliver, I predict it will go unsold or sold to a FAKE BIDDER[/b]. In about 1-3 years he will then settle for an offer from a local buyer for 1/5 of 1% of how much he's currently asking.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    This whole thing just reeks. If he wants to keep it intact, why the fuck is he putting it on an auction site? There are better ways to go about it if that's what he really wants.

I'll be amazed if anyone buys this.

I'll be even more amazed if this doesn't get mondo fake bids.[/b]

I predicted your prediction. Don't front.

• WoimsahWoimsah 1,734 Posts
    talked to a buddy who's a big time dealer out here who's been in touch with this dude about the collection. shit is beyond stupid. apparently there's a "hidden reserve" on the auction which the owner is not disclosing. so you can technically win the auction for $3,000,000, but then there's an additional fee you must pay in order to actually acquire it. don't know how that's possible - but apparently it is. he's been out there and checked the collection before and it apparently sucks - a lot. the seller is real amped on the fact that he has every Pat Benatar record, etc. And he's seen the Rolling Stones record dude's holding, that exact copy....apparently it's wrecked to all shit. This guy's a deuche.

• waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts
    Seems to me like a person with that many records would have more self-awareness about what exactly he has (and doesn't have). This is not the case of some dude with a couple dozen dollarbin records trying to sell his "collection" 30 years later for unrealistic loot. He should know better.

• None of the strutters that have been there mentioned just how weird the store set up really is. For starters it's in a strip mall, and when you open the first door and youre in this room that resembles some kind of lazer tag arena with a rampy thing and a elevator which takes you down to a basement shop. But, like everyone else said the store is a joke. There are records you can flip through but it's like the worst of the worst records imaginable. And there are clippings all over about the store and how the library of congress want it and other stupid shit theyre so smug about.

Although I did get a whole bunch of nice old 45 boxes for cheap.

• this is worth 3 million on the strength of what? the weight of the vinyl?

• there was this flea market dude in florida who used to get loot recyclng vinyl. he would punch out the labels and make coasters to sell.
    maybe having his connects would make this bullshit worhtwhile.

fuck it, im a go post some comments on this herb

• JectWonJectWon (@_@) 1,654 Posts

dude needs some bigger icons.

Hah, christ that's a great observation....I sort of imagine this dude being the guy behind MyLittleOnyBuiltMyHotRod.....

• From User:
    tripldoubl (225)
    96.7% Positive Feedback
    Member since Jul-09-99 in United States
    Activity with tripldoubl (last 90 days):I have bid on 0 items from tripldoubl
    Activity with tripldoubl (last 90 days):tripldoubl has bid on 0 of my items

Dear jpaulhenderson5a4e,

this has all the appearances of the biggest heap of thrift store dollar bin garbage on the face of the planet. that rolling stones record is trashed, so stop flossing

maybe i missed my window of opportunity. or should have phrased it as a question

"what is the biggest shitheap of vinyl and styrene ever amassed?"

• Seems to me like a person with that many records would have more self-awareness about what exactly he has (and doesn't have). This is not the case of some dude with a couple dozen dollarbin records trying to sell his "collection" 30 years later for unrealistic loot. He should know better.

The bigger the lie, the more they believe.

No seriously though, it seems like the more records a guy has, the less he knows exactly what's in there. I've been there. Many times.

"But sir you gotta understand, you have literally THOUSANDS of records that would have to be junked..."

"JUNK! JUNK? THESE ARE RARE! SOME OF THESE ARE WORTH $20! MAYBE EVEN MORE!"

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    There was a guy in Ft. Worth many years ago that had a barn filled with 78's.

Easily over 100,000

He got ill and had to sell them.

He was asking $20K

A guy from the East Coast bought them and proceeded to pull out about 5,000 records and left the rest behind.

The barn mysteriously burned down about a month later.

• musta smelled good

• JustAliceJustAlice 1,308 Posts
    I searched the entire website looking for grading information but could only find that "over half of the collection is NEW"

I was thinking since the dude is legally blind he would have to use the term Visually Graded rather loosely.

Did anyone happen to notice who he has as his references...errraa I mean
    "representatives" in the more information section??

None other than Telma Hopkins

AKA

Who knew??

• I searched the entire website looking for grading information but could only find that "over half of the collection is NEW"

I was thinking since the dude is legally blind he would have to use the term Visually Graded rather loosely.

Did anyone happen to notice who he has as his references...errraa I mean
    "representatives" in the more information section??

None other than Telma Hopkins

AKA

Who knew??

She and Joyce Vincent Wilson are also the backing vocalists on this...

Yeah I read that she had been a back up singer for quite some time before joining TOD. Apparently there is also a lot of controversy surrounding the backing credits on some of the earlier singles for Tony Orlando and Dawn...because there wasn't technically a Dawn yet, he had to find some pretty ladies which took some convincing.

When I saw her picture on the website I automatically remembered her from Family Matters, it was mostly a very high fever that had me up at 4 am reading all this.

• The dude's website claims that the records Telma sung back-up on outsold the Beatles and Elvis combined.

• This just in, the Associated Press is reporting that the winning bidder is actually legitimate. link

What seems quite odd is that after winning the auction the winner was listed as "not a registered user", which means the seller would not have to pay any fees.

The winning bidder has already deposited $300,000, and a bank has confirmed that he has enough money to buy the collection, Mawhinney said.

Aren't the Irish known for their temper? How pissed is he going to be when he sees the condition on these turds?

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    This is insane...if dude had $3,000,000 he certainly could afford to fly to the store and see what he was buying.

As a friend once said to me about ebay back in the 90's.

"It gets me in touch with every moron in the world"

• This is insane...if dude had $3,000,000 he certainly could afford to fly to the store and see what he was buying.

As a friend once said to me about ebay back in the 90's.

"It gets me in touch with every moron in the world"

In this case it's more like ebay put the whole world in touch with a moron.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    I had to end my ban to see what all you all were saying about this. I'm glad to see everyones reaction was the same as mine. He's talking about it being worth 24,000,000 dollars, or about $8 a record, but really a lot less because he has a $10,000 Stones record. What Stones record is that? Some Girls with Marilyn Monroe?

The library of congress, smithsonian, RR HOF all want collections that have some kind of focus.

I also did this piece of math. 50 years collecting divide 3,000,000 records = about 164 records a day. Sounds like he got what was left over after the yard sale.

Does anyone know his buying policy? Did he buy everything that walked through the door?

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    This just in, the Associated Press is reporting that the winning bidder is actually legitimate. link

What seems quite odd is that after winning the auction the winner was listed as "not a registered user", which means the seller would not have to pay any fees.

Story I read said bidder was a hoax. But he says that he hopes no one buys it because it will be worth a lot more money next week.

I can't tell you how many people I have talked to who think their record collection belongs in a museum. Yeah, you have the last copy of Janis Joplin in the world.

• DeeRockDeeRock 1,836 Posts
    This just in, the Associated Press is reporting that the winning bidder is actually legitimate. link

Story I read said bidder was a hoax. But he says that he hopes no one buys it because it will be worth a lot more money next week.

I can't tell you how many people I have talked to who think their record collection belongs in a museum. Yeah, you have the last copy of Janis Joplin in the world.

That statement alone about how he is glad no one bought it because it will be worth more next week, shows exactly what kind of dumb ass he is. Yes, I have also met numerous crusty old dudes who think their collection should be in a museum. I recently seen an ad on craigslist for a priceless record collection for sale. The guy had been collecting for 30 years and had 12 thousand albums and wanted $12K for the collection which he told me was far below market value blah blah blah. He sent over the stock list and it was your typical thrift store terds.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts

That statement alone about how he is glad no one bought it because it will be worth more next week, shows exactly what kind of dumb ass he is. Yes, I have also met numerous crusty old dudes who think their collection should be in a museum. I recently seen an ad on craigslist for a priceless record collection for sale. The guy had been collecting for 30 years and had 12 thousand albums and wanted $12K for the collection which he told me was far below market value blah blah blah. He sent over the stock list and it was your typical thrift store terds.

Exactly. Worth more next week? How is that possible? From the stories I've heard about this man, he deserves some misery for putting his family through the poorhouse for the sake of keeping up this "Best Collection Ever" bullshit of his. If he'd have lowered the prices on the records in his store and/or hired an expert to do his selling for him for the last several decades, he'd have made around $100,000 by now and he probably wouldn't have to sell the collection to, you know, live. The problem is that he's trapped in the "I am a record genius" mode and is using an antiquated, arbitrary system to value his collection's worth. I'll bet he has an Andrews Sisters LP "worth $500." Fuck him.

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    I'll bet he has an Andrews Sisters LP worth $500. Fuck him.

Ive got that one. You can have it for $300.

or $400 next week.