Cake (the band)

jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
edited February 2008 in Strut Central
Yeah?They had some great rhythms and wild instrumentation. "The Distance" is the shit.

Comments

• i like them.

• i like them.

• JRootJRoot 861 Posts
    I like this band, but "The Distance" is only slightly higher than their cover of "I Will Survive" in terms of songs that I actually want to listen to on that record. I'm much more apt to pull out Stickshifts and safety belts or whatever that song was called that's about the glory of bench seats. "I need you to be here with me, not way over in a bucket seat." Sure it's a gimmick, but so's the distance (and the cover of I Will Survive). So maybe Cake just has the best gimmicks.

• DJCireDJCire 729 Posts
    Yeah?
    They had some great rhythms and wild instrumentation. "The Distance" is the shit.

Yes - they grew on me...

• What about this Cake?

• Meanwhile, Rick James is damn catchy.

• I remember when "The Distance" came out and I *hated* Cake. Not that I thought it was a bad song but it was so gimmicky. The next single being their cover of "I Will Survive" just reaffirmed my belief that the band was too gimmicky.

Then their next album came out and they had "Never There" as a single and I kind of dug it. I checked the rest of the album and thought it was okay but not up to the same standard as the single.

But then they put out their next album, which had "Short Skirt/Long Jacket" as a single and I really dug that. I checked the rest of that album out and something with it just clicked for me. Instead of his normal half spoken deadpan/half sung delivery it actually sounded like John McCrea was making a legit effort at singing and I really liked it. The album as a whole sounded like a bit of a departure from Cake's tried-and-true formula and I found it interesting. Comfort Eagle is still a favorite album of mine.

After getting into Comfort Eagle I decided to reassess Cake's older stuff. I still think Prolonging The Magic was kind of a bland album but I've changed my mind about Fashion Nugget. I still don't listen to "The Distance" a whole lot, but there's a whole lot of other songs on that album that really grew on me. Particularly, I think "She'll Come Back To Me" is a great heartbroken country song even though it's not by a country band. Pedal steel guitar? Yes please. And horns? I'm a sucker for horns in rock music and think more bands should use horns. I think one thing about Cake that really grew on me is the underlying funkiness in a lot of their stuff thanks to the bass parts. Cake is such a bizarre melange of influences that it took me a while to get used to it, but once I did I really learned to love it.

• alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts
    the bass in "i will survive" is serious

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    Yeah?
    They had some great rhythms and wild instrumentation. "The Distance" is the shit.

"the distance" was my favorite song when it came out. great instrumentation. i really wanna listen to fashion nugget right now...

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    the Guitar solo in "i will survive" is serious

- spidey

• really? i feel like the guitar solos are the only weak part of that band.

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    Amazing guitar solo on that song. Perfect.

- spidey

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    Friends is a Four Letter Word.

• their (excellent) guitar player had a side band called Deathray that was good.

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts
    I like...

I like the track Jolene off their first record...

• i kinda like dolly's version more

• I like the first track on the album Frank Sinatra "

• AlmondAlmond 1,427 Posts
    Cake's cover of Bread's "Guitar Man" is

Probably the best band ever to come out of Sacramento.

• i kinda like dolly's version more

As much as it pains me to say it (mostly due to their hipster cachet) I really love the white stripes version.

Cake was one of the segways into genuine funk for me. I had a collection of sounds that I liked, but didn't know where the influence was from. They don't get skipped on the shuffle.

• JRootJRoot 861 Posts
    i kinda like dolly's version more

As much as it pains me to say it (mostly due to their hipster cachet) I really love the white stripes version.

And my preference, if I had to choose just one, is for the Geraldine Fibbers version. They never had much hipster cachet outside of the seven-inch gaylords community, and even that was JRoot created.

Please don't take him, just because you can.

[color:pink](do you ever sing that refrain when you're bidding against someone that you know from their history is willing to bid higher than you?)[/color]

• gambitgambit 906 Posts
    I like Cake, but I dislike their fans. Flippin' hippies...

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts
    I am surprised this band has so many fans on here (though I know I shouldn't be). I had a conversation with someone a couple weeks ago about how I think this is one of the worst albums to ever make it big. I find the music bland and boring, but the lyrics (as well as their delivery) are beyond terrible. I've taken a couple community college creative writing courses. I can't imagine why anyone would want to put the product of such a class out in the world like that.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    I am surprised this band has so many fans on here (though I know I shouldn't be). I had a conversation with someone a couple weeks ago about how I think this is one of the worst albums to ever make it big. I find the music bland and boring, but the lyrics (as well as their delivery) are beyond terrible. I've taken a couple community college creative writing courses. I can't imagine why anyone would want to put the product of such a class out in the world like that.

Thank you.

• knewjakknewjak 1,231 Posts
    the bass in "i will survive" is serious

The bass in ALL the tracks were some shit. He made the band, no question.

The spoken vocals were unique, but I would have liked to hear what the band would have sounded like with a different singer though.

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts
    i kinda like dolly's version more

it's a different song

• jon spencer blues explosion eats cake

• gambitgambit 906 Posts
    I've taken a couple community college creative writing courses.

This really made me laugh. It just seems so random.

• Friends is a Four Letter Word.

Yes. I ride.

• JimBeamJimBeam Seattle. 2,012 Posts
    jon spencer blues explosion used to eat cake, but now their live performances consist of three tired junkies standing in one spot for about 45 minutes and it sucks.

• jon spencer blues explosion used to eat cake, but now their live performances consist of three tired junkies standing in one spot for about 45 minutes and it sucks.

Not to hijack,but