Reading on the crapper..

Tektonic_PlatesTektonic_Plates 100 Posts
edited February 2008 in Strut Central
My current water-closet reading list includes: and, because my wife left it around, the strangely fascinating And, because a previous tenant subscribed Some people have bathroom-specific books, which seem to be mostly durable, moisture resitant tomes filled with odd facts or quotes, but I haven't been able to bring myself to invest in a toilet-centric book yet. What's on yer shit list?

Comments

• JRootJRoot 861 Posts
    My current water-closet reading list includes:

Willamette Landings by Howard McKinley Corning (1st Ed. 1947)

Howard McKinley Corning, a poet and historian, was poetry editor of the Oregonian from 1965 to 1976. He was also an editor and supervisor with the Oregon Writer's Project of the Works Progress Administration, and it was in that role that he wrote Willamette Landings, a history of the development of the Willamette river. Portland's rise was apparently Milwaukee's fall. Who knew?

JRoot

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    gross.
    i like to get in and get out as quick as possible.
    people that have time to read while pooing give me the heebeejeebies.

• Willamette Landings by Howard McKinley Corning (1st Ed. 1947)

You keep first-editions in your bathroom? What does your bathroom look like?

• verb606verb606 2,518 Posts
    gross.

Oh, this is not the thread for you, my friend!

I have a grip of Remix and Scratch magazines, as well as a bunch of DJ/producer gear catalogs like Sweetwater and shit. If I get deep into narratives on the pot, I tend to stay on a lot longer than I need to.

I also like to have the latest issue of the Onion, if I can.

• high_chigh_c 1,384 Posts
    gross.

there are two kindsa dudes in the world, and I don't trust non-reading crappers. I think they are OCD types who are ashamed of shitting and don't want to be associated with anything unclean. This behavior is actually quite womenly. I also don't trust people who don't drink coffee and/or beer.

• gross.

there are two kindsa dudes in the world, and I don't trust non-reading crappers. I think they are OCD types who are ashamed of shitting and don't want to be associated with anything unclean. This behavior is actually quite womenly. I also don't trust people who don't drink coffee and/or beer. [/b]

Why?? I understand hating on people who think they are too clean for shitting, but coffee & booze isn't for everyone...

gross.

there are two kindsa dudes in the world, and I don't trust non-reading crappers. I think they are OCD types who are ashamed of shitting and don't want to be associated with anything unclean. This behavior is actually quite womenly. I also don't trust people who don't drink coffee and/or beer. [/b]

Why?? I understand hating on people who think they are too clean for shitting, but coffee & booze isn't for everyone...

hehe... ok. that's fine. maybe I should've said I don't trust people without a vice. but coffee? What kinda sicko doesn't drink coffee?

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    gross.

Oh, this is not the thread for you, my friend!

I have a grip of Remix and Scratch magazines, as well as a bunch of DJ/producer gear catalogs like Sweetwater and shit. If I get deep into narratives on the pot, I tend to stay on a lot longer than I need to.

I also like to have the latest issue of the Onion, if I can.

dont get me wrong. i love to shit. but i have time to read a paragraph and im ready to wipe my ass and get on with things.

i dont really get the heebeejeebies, i just wanted to type that word.

• hehe... ok. that's fine. maybe I should've said I don't trust people without a vice. but coffee? What kinda sicko doesn't drink coffee?

I don't. I love the smell of freshly-brewed coffee but I've never liked the taste of it. I'm also not terribly affected by caffeine so I've never needed that morning jolt to get me going. I love me some tea though.

• I never knew people put this much thought into it - I generally grab the first interesting book/magazine I see!

• i cant be distracted when im fighting the demons

• I never knew people put this much thought into it - I generally grab the first interesting book/magazine I see!

I don't put a ton of thought into it, but there's some magazines I prefer to others when I'm gonna be on the shitter. Some magazines have longer articles or deal with subject matter that's a bit more involved than I care to read in the couple minutes I'm sitting on the crapper. Other magazines though are perfect for toilet reading -- short fluffy articles that don't require much time investment. I know I'm gonna be reading for a couple minutes max so I want something where I can read the entire article while I'm sitting down. Reading a 12-page article on the Iraq war or about advances in alternative energies probably isn't what I'm looking for while I'm dropping a deuce.

• JRootJRoot 861 Posts

You keep first-editions in your bathroom? What does your bathroom look like?

The bathroom in question is meager in size, with walls a rich green, a window to the yard, and a mirror along the wall above the sink and counter. As with my records, I tend to use the books that I have, not merely look at them (that's the goal anyway). So since I have a few minutes to read in the bathroom, I put into the bathroom the book that I'm reading that most lends itself to episodic reading. Right now, that's the Corning book.

You can see it leaning against the wall there atop the throne's tank in the below snap.

Here's a close up on the book for the bibliophiles in the bunch (photobucket blows - it won't let me permanently rotate this image).

Many times, my wife will remove the book from the bathroom because she finds the entire concept of reading while defecating to be offensive. Since she has let this book stand, I trust that something about the binding and the lettering fits with her overall aesthetic sense of the room much better than, say, Frye Gaillard's Race, Rock and Religion.

• The daily news works as a great laxative to me.

Non-reading crappers don't even read while at work? Where there's nothing to do but kill time?

If I'm reading a small paperback I'll put it in my jacket pocket and sneak it in 'cause I don't want anybody seeing me going into the bathroom with reading material in hand. I've spent a good 25-30 minutes on the throne, on the clock and

I don't put a ton of thought into it, but there's some magazines I prefer to others when I'm gonna be on the shitter. Some magazines have longer articles or deal with subject matter that's a bit more involved than I care to read in the couple minutes I'm sitting on the crapper. Other magazines though are perfect for toilet reading -- short fluffy articles that don't require much time investment. I know I'm gonna be reading for a couple minutes max so I want something where I can read the entire article while I'm sitting down. Reading a 12-page article on the Iraq war or about advances in alternative energies probably isn't what I'm looking for while I'm dropping a deuce.

Well, heavy topics like THAT are different.

But, I can look at books or long articles in the terlet if they're entertaining. I can reread passages from Ray Charles' autobiography or an involved band history in Ugly Things and I'm good to go, but reading something about the Iraq war on the mound is like doing your income tax on the bus.

• i cant be distracted when im fighting the demons

• the balance between good and evil rests upon my loins. you really want me reading people magazine during this epic battle?

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    My current water-closet reading list includes:

Howard McKinley Corning, a poet and historian, was poetry editor of the Oregonian from 1965 to 1976. He was also an editor and supervisor with the Oregon Writer's Project of the Works Progress Administration, and it was in that role that he wrote Willamette Landings, a history of the development of the Willamette river. Portland's rise was apparently Milwaukee's fall. Who knew?

JRoot

That's Milwaukie, blood. You should read the Tom McCall bio next. Stumptown represent.

• i need shit to read when taking a dump. no doubt.
    i recently started putting all the articles i need to get around to reading in there with a notebook and pen. every second counts!!!

and i dont drink coffee....what of it?
    im naturally regular

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    i read soulstrut

• Yo, I work for the Government and in those bathrooms there are reclining chairs in the bathroom. I'll walk in to piss and some of the janitors will be sleeping or eating lunch in there. I'm like, WTF, can't you smell that. Dudes crapping and someone is outside the stall asleep.

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    i read soulstrut

True story -- a few times I was stupid enough to bring my laptop into the bathroom while taking a dump; one time I set it too far close to the edge on the sink and it fell off, hitting the ground and denting the fragile titanium exterior. The hard drive was dead.

These days I stick to the newspaper or the New Yorker. If pressed, Lady's Home Journal or a tube of toothpaste.

• My favorite bathroom read:

• The collected works of Gary Larson:

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    The collected works of Gary Larson:

That's quite possibly the greatest shower curtain my eyes have ever seen.

Back on topic I favour a collection of short trivia styled books ( a recent favourite was Check The Technique) or Sight and Sound. That way my reading can be lengthened or curtailed with ease depending on time required.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    The collected works of Gary Larson:

Is she lifting up her skirt? What is hiding behind the books?

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    gross.

there are two kindsa dudes in the world, and I don't trust non-reading crappers. I think they are OCD types who are ashamed of shitting and don't want to be associated with anything unclean. This behavior is actually quite womenly. I also don't trust people who don't drink coffee and/or beer.

I agree with Jaymack, which is why I avoided this thread till now.

I'm not OCD about anything, but the communal pooping book, I don't get.

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    Big bathroom reader.

mostly anecdotal stuff, magazines etc.

every now and then a book will graduate to the throneroom, but it has to be light reading.

Dudes that dont read in the dunny are

• fejmelbafejmelba 1,139 Posts
    I never knew people put this much thought into it - I generally grab the first interesting book/magazine I see!

as long as the paper isnt to glossy to wipe my