Lloyd McNeill - Asha
    Barre Phillips/Steve McCall/Siegfried Kessler - Live at Gil's on Futura
    Grachan Moncur III - both LPs on Actuel
    All music by Ahmed Abdul Malik
    Richard Davis - Philosophy of the Spiritual on Cobblestone
    all Prince Lasha
    Sonny Simmons
    Juju - Nia on Strata East
    All Dollar Brand (specially collaborations w/ Johnny Dyani)
    Ensemble Al Salaam
    Longineau Parsons
    Lee Morgan - all the late shit

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts
    I always have thought of "spiritual" jazz being modal and different from the funky electric jazz like on the Black Jazz label, nathan davis "If" that kind of thing, which is really more R&B ish. Are they really included?

i concur. i was thinking immediately of Davis' early Segue LPs - Makatuka etc.,.. not so much IF.

Some things on black jazz though I do consider "spiritual" whatever the term may mean.... perhaps Rudolph Johnson, just 'cause he's meditating with his flute on a hill wearing what looks like a diaper at first glance.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts

add:
    Hemphill - Dogon A.D.
    all Prince Lasha

word. I have always thought it was kinda strange that those gentlemen along with Ornette and Dewey Redman, would come from a cow-patty town like Fort Worth...I mean ,what are the odds that 4 bad-ass out-there sax players would come from a town like that.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    does this record count?

Co-SIGN!

I swear some of you dudes can't see the forrest from the trees....

and this comes in a close second

"The creator has a master plan"

• NateBizzoNateBizzo 2,328 Posts

Those are most obvious.

Those are most obvious.

Because they are that good....

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

That is a great record, and I still enjoy listening to it, despite the fact that King Moist plays it whenever he fires up the sandalwood incense and starts whispering in some chocolate-complected cutie's ear, "You know they built the same pyramids in South America as in Egypt, don't you baby?"

That is a great record, and I still enjoy listening to it, despite the fact that King Moist plays it whenever he fires up the sandalwood incense and starts whispering in some chocolate-complected cutie[/b]'s ear, "You know they built the same pyramids in South America as in Egypt, don't you baby?"

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    does this record count?

I would say that is the first spiritual jazz LP

My vote for the first is Ellington's "Black, Brown and Beige" which predates "A Love Supreme" by more than a decade...featuring "Come Sunday" and Mahalia Jackson.

But I agree that A Love Supreme is the archetypal spiritual jazz LP

• DenmarkVZDenmarkVZ 397 Posts

• I'm also enjoying Carla Bley's "Tropic Appetites" today, though it doesn't fit as neatly into a spiritual jazz bag.

• NateBizzoNateBizzo 2,328 Posts
    I could really use that Jothan Callins LP.

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts

i got copies of the 45 from this if anyone needs.

• YES!

"come sunday" is one of those eyes-closed tunes that i just have to listen to from beginning to end...

• i got that johnathan collins shizt on triumph. thts cool. sloppy lines like by boy cha cha shaw. shitz real.

• Sun_FortuneSun_Fortune 1,374 Posts
    Anyone mention the Coltrane lp
    "Live at the Village Vanguard" -- the track 'spiritual' would have to say is my favorite. obvious, but.

Saw Leon Thomas on here but was then crossed out.
    Leon Thomas "Full Circle," I love the yodelling.

and the boomer
    Ensemble Al-Salaam -- 'The Sojurner.' the track 'music is nothing but a prayer' wins it for me.

• Hey! That's my auction!

Personally, I like James Tatum money a lot better than James Tatum records. They just don't do it for me.

See also:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=306&item=4713647113&rd=1

I dig "spiritual" jazz, myself making the connection between Alice Coltrane records, Doug Carn's stuff, Oracy, some and the heavier Strata and Tribe pieces, and then learning about it as a genre through, at the time, mostly Japanese collectors. Most of the records contain a blend of political activism and non-christian spiritual awareness that I can get with. And while they may get free at times, they still maintain a rhythm and sometimes get downright funky. I'm a sucker for that type of 70s dashiki "right on!" vibe.

All of the dope records have been listed by now, and many are what I would consider my favorites. Labels such as Tribe, Strata, Stata East, Black Jazz, Actuel as well as lots of private press joints all pushed and supported this type of music as well as the Alice and John Coltrane inspired generation of soul searching free jazz funkers that played it.

On a side note, has anyone heard the Fertile Ground album "Spiritual Warfare" from a few years ago. Dope album that's much in the same vein as the albums we've been discussing.

Blessed beats and deep crates,

SonicReducer

(TEAMAARON)

• i got that johnathan collins shizt on triumph. thts cool. sloppy lines like by boy cha cha shaw. shitz real.

Jothan Callins is real. Old sun-ra cat, one of the only people from his old life that sonny kept close with late in his life.

Didn't somebody say they ran into him at a store, they ran his credit card and said something to him and he was all freaked out that somebody recognized his name Someday to be released on CD??

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

On a side note, has anyone heard the Fertile Ground album "Spiritual Warfare" from a few years ago. Dope album that's much in the same vein as the albums we've been discussing.

A*ron, I made myself a nice little Fertile Ground comp at work today for my commute home, and thought of this thread....serendipity!

Fertile Ground(from Baltimore, and gigging regular in DC)cover a lot of musical ground, but they remain firmly rooted in the Doug and Jean Carn school of spiritual jazz/r&b. There are always some nice swirling Rhodes workouts on their stuff even through their 3rd release, Seasons Change. Their newest one "Black Is..." veers into more R&B but with more Oneness of Juju than Strata East influence. Overall the vibe may be a bit too "Headwraps and Incense" for many folks here, but they have several great contemporary spiritual jazz numbers to seek out, and live they completely cook. The wife and I see them every chance we get.

If you wondered what bands nowadays are the equivalent of some of the great 70s DC/Baltimore bands like Oneness of Juju or Madhubuti, look for Fertile Ground.

http://www.blackoutstudios.com