Candi Staton Appreciation

mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
edited February 2008 in Strut Central
Candi Staton + Rick Hall + Fame Studios flavor =

Comments

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Which reminds me - what was the next album after these two? Allmusic has her S/T album as 3rd but I seriously doubt they have that right.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    I always thought the S/T was the first followed by "I'm Just a Prisoner" and then Stand By Your Man

• I love her first album and am extremely geeked to have a clean one in the shop right now.

Downside, because her career is so thorough and her later albums so common, this is a popular candidate for the ol' "yo! I used to see this for $2 everywhere!"

I always thought the S/T was second.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    Appreciated.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    I love her first album and am extremely geeked to have a clean one in the shop right now.

Downside, because her career is so thorough and her later albums so common, this is a popular candidate for the ol' "yo! I used to see this for $2 everywhere!"

It's third--came out in 1972.

Prisoner was the first; Stand was second.

I love her first album and am extremely geeked to have a clean one in the shop right now.

Now I'm just hella confused.

According to these folks: http://www.melingo.com/thesoulnet/staton.htm

...it goes "I'm Just a Prisoner," "Stand By Your Man," then the self-titled LP. But the tracklisting on that site doesn't match other tracklistings I've seen for her S/T album, plus the years are off by 7!

JP: Is this the same S/T LP you're talking about?

http://cgi.ebay.com/CANDI-STATON-SELF-TI...1QQcmdZViewItem

• No no - the one on Fame. This one:

I think Daniel's got it right.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Is this the same S/T LP

Hell no - it's this one:

Prisoner is one of my top 10 all-time LP's.
    Just perfect.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

Now I'm just hella confused.

According to these folks: http://www.melingo.com/thesoulnet/staton.htm

...it goes "I'm Just a Prisoner," "Stand By Your Man," then the self-titled LP. But the tracklisting on that site doesn't match other tracklistings I've seen for her S/T album, plus the years are off by 7!

JP: Is this the same S/T LP you're talking about?

http://cgi.ebay.com/CANDI-STATON-SELF-TI...1QQcmdZViewItem

No, she had a self-titled one on Fame, distributed by UA.

I have all three right in front of me and can assure you that the order of release I posted above is correct.

Sorry to answer for ya, JP. Just walked in the room

Gotcha...I always get thrown when the same artist releases multiple copies of self-titled albums (see Tim Maia on Polydor for worst case example).

Her late 70's stuff is solid, too. She really
    doesn't have much material that isn't quality.

Young Hearts Run Free =

• JustAliceJustAlice 1,308 Posts
    I only know of her Disco era stuff, I want to hear some of the earlier things to become more acquainted.

Monty played on this record though:

and SummerTime with You is my jam. Flash back thread.

I only know of her Disco era stuff, I want to hear some of the earlier things to become more acquainted.

I highly, highly, highly recommend the Candi Staton Fame anthology that Astralwerks put out a few years ago.

http://www.dustygroove.com/item.php?id=t...p%3Bincl_cs%3D1

That comp blew my mind.

• also her first on WB is worth checking out

Prisoner is one of my top 10 all-time LP's.
    Just perfect.

That's how I feel about the song itself - the way it builds, the songwriting, etc. Absolutely one of the best soul songs I know.

Right now though, my current fave is: "Too Hurt To Cry" off I>Stand By Your Man[/i].

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    Great singer, I love all the Fame stuff & even 'Young Hearts' is a guilty pleasure, from memory the flip to that 45 ("I Know") is actually pretty great too.

'Young Hearts' is a guilty pleasure

I don't usually admit to dabbling in records from that era. I mess with very little of that style.

I don't usually admit to dabbling in records from that era. I mess with very little of that style.

You mean disco? Word?

You mean disco? Word?
    Yes, I have my work cut out keeping up with the blues/jazz/soul/R&B/funk etc from the 50s through 70s, almost any Disco I buy is by accident & I will onsell or bin it asap, my palate/knowledge for it is very very limited. It's just not my thing. The funny thing is, I don't even really know why, some things I'll keep, others I won't, my girlfriend has a much higher disco tolerance than me & she doesn't understand why I'll keep something & then throw another similar thing away. She's given up buying me disco records because my taste is too hard to pick.

• I've never come across her LPs on Fame, but I often come up on her 45s. I never pass on a Candi Staton 45 on Fame.

"Evidence" is my shit.

• 'Young Hearts' is a guilty pleasure

You mean disco? Word?
    Yes, I have my work cut out keeping up with the blues/jazz/soul/R&B/funk etc from the 50s through 70s, almost any Disco I buy is by accident & I will onsell or bin it asap, my palate/knowledge for it is very very limited. It's just not my thing. The funny thing is, I don't even really know why, some things I'll keep, others I won't, my girlfriend has a much higher disco tolerance than me & she doesn't understand why I'll keep something & then throw another similar thing away. She's given up buying me disco records because my taste is too hard to pick.

Here's a handy rule of thumb: if a record by your fave old-school soul act came out after '75, chances are it's gonna be a disco record.

I don't blame you, I have a cutoff switch for disco too. I'll ride for Candi Staton as well, but that gutless "Young Hearts Run Free" mess has got to go. Fame Studios forever!

Here's a handy rule of thumb: if a record by your fave old-school soul act came out after '75, chances are it's gonna be a disco record.

I don't blame you, I have a cutoff switch for disco too. I'll ride for Candi Staton as well, but that gutless "Young Hearts Run Free" mess has got to go. Fame Studios forever!

Diss disco and you diss yourself!

I've never come across her LPs on Fame, but I often come up on her 45s. I never pass on a Candi Staton 45 on Fame.

"Evidence" is my shit.

I was going through my 45 crates the other night and forgot that I owned "Stand By Your Man" on 45. It's possibly the only version of that song I can stomach (though I could imagine a reggae version I wouldn't be mad at).

gutless mess

Ha ha, yeah, bloody Fantastic Four on Westbound I just threw out multiples of the "Bring Your Own Funk" 45 last night, someone needed to bring the funk because those dudes did not.

I was going through my 45 crates the other night and forgot that I owned "Stand By Your Man" on 45. It's possibly the only version of that song I can stomach

DO NOT[/b] SLEEP:

• I was going through my 45 crates the other night and forgot that I owned "Stand By Your Man" on 45. It's possibly the only version of that song I can stomach (though I could imagine a reggae version I wouldn't be mad at).

Candi's own "Do It in the Name of Love" has a nice little JA flavor to it.

• I was going through my 45 crates the other night and forgot that I owned "Stand By Your Man" on 45. It's possibly the only version of that song I can stomach

DO NOT[/b] SLEEP:

Just picked this up but have yet to listen.

How'd you compare it to her other LP?