Candi Staton Appreciation

13»

Comments

• Fame 1801: Travis Wammack - s/t

Fame 181: Clarence Carter - 60 Minutes With Clarence Carter

never picked up that Clarence Carter, how is it?

and I don't think I've even heard of the Travis Wammack, anyone got a review?

I recommend both albums. People sleep on the Clarence Carter because it's not on Atlantic, but it is a surprisingly solid album from front to back. The Travis Wammack is a killer, too. Soul On Ice calls it southern rock, and it sort of is, albeit a lot closer to Tony Joe White than the Allman Brothers Band. If you like this album, you might want to track down his next LP, which turned up three years later (Not For Sale on Capricorn). Right now, on top of my CD player is an autographed photo of Wammack which I intend to anthologize in my scrapbook soon...

One of the UA-distributed Fame albums that wasn't mentioned is by Henson, but from what I understand it's straight-ahead, 1970's AM Gold pop (only without the hits). No soul content.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts

Fame 1801: Travis Wammack - s/t

Fame 181: Clarence Carter - 60 Minutes With Clarence Carter

I have never picked up that Clarence Carter, how is it?

and I don't think I've even heard of the Travis Wammack, anyone got a review?
    Both those LPs are solid, but not outstanding, definitely pick them up if you run across them for cheapish. Clarence Carter is pretty typical soul/blues for him & the Travis Wammack should get mentioned more often in "name some funky country records" threads, bonus points for the extreme close up of Wammack's face on the cover.

• JustAliceJustAlice 1,308 Posts
    ...Clarence Carter is good

I need some schooling on early releases and first impressions. There is so much out there that I need to know about. I'm glad that I am familiar with Names and Labels, but a lot of the time I am not familiar of the beginnings.

Speaking on that, there are a lot of artists that I started with the adolescent years. Herbie Hancock, Marley, Stevie, Curtis, Marvin. Tons of Hip Hop and FunkySoul. What makes second and third albums more memorable or popular? I know it isn't always the case, there has been many a thread, somewhat on the subject, you know the going down hill part or becoming more developed ? I'm sure so much comes into play.

Anyways, I dig C.C. 'Don't bother me' on Heart Full of Song is great, its not disco, but its probably not his best work either.

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts

Fame 4200: Fame Gang - Solid Gold From Muscle Shoals

I have a 45 from this LP that is pretty sick.

Anyone who has the LP care to drop a review?

http://www.soulstrut.com/reviews/review.php?item_id=1243

and ditto on sayinh the 45s are your best buy.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    How much of Candi's catalog is Country tunes?

• [color: green]How much of Candi's catalog is Country tunes? [/color]

About 50% if you stick with the Fame sides.

• [color: green] the Travis Wammack should get mentioned more often in "name some funky country records" threads[/color]

not to get all nitpicky, but i'd call it swamp rock myself. like tony joe white or joe south.

• [color: green]... and the Clarence Carter is good, I think he has
    a couple more on Fame from the early 70's, maybe they
    come post-UA distro? [/color]

Clarence had several non-LP Fame singles - both during the UA distro and the Atlantic distro deals - but as far as actual Fame albums go, I believe Sixty Minutes... was all there was.

[color: green] the Travis Wammack should get mentioned more often in "name some funky country records" threads[/color]

not to get all nitpicky, but i'd call it swamp rock myself. like tony joe white or joe south.
    I would mention those in that sort of thread too, similar goodness to me.

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    Speaking of Soul LP Cover Dimepieces, Me and The One Bellcity were marveling over Eloise Laws earlier:

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    Speaking of Soul LP Cover Dimepieces, Me and The One Bellcity were marveling over Eloise Laws earlier:

WEST COVINA REPRESENT!

• Here's a handy rule of thumb: if a record by your fave old-school soul act came out after '75, chances are it's gonna be a disco record.

I don't blame you, I have a cutoff switch for disco too. I'll ride for Candi Staton as well, but that gutless "Young Hearts Run Free" mess has got to go. Fame Studios forever!

Diss disco and you diss yourself!

I'm on Pickwick's side with this one. In my opinion, Candi Staton had one of the top three soul voices ever. It's a shame to see her changing her game and ditching Muscle Shoals when she switches to WB.

In all fairness, when Candi first jumped over to Bugs Bunny's folks at Warners, she had a couple more years of good sides left. Don't overlook 1974's insanely catty "As Long As He Takes Care Of Home," which would have been a good tune for Millie Jackson (or even Doris Duke). But as soon as you get to 1976 and "Young Hearts Run Free," - the good years were coming to an end then.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    "Young Hearts Run Free,"

Your continuous trashing of this song is not
    going to be looked upon favorably in the afterlife.

REPENT

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts

Anyways, I dig (Clarence Carter). 'Don't bother me' on Heart Full of Song is great, its not disco, but its probably not his best work either.

I just bought that album earlier today, and just made it to the end of Side One. So far, so good - for 1976, this is a surprisingly strong SOUL album. It may THINK it's disco when the tempo speeds up, but it still comes off pretty downhome (also see: Bobby Rush's Rush Hour). Now let me flip it over to Side Two...where the song you just mentioned is (albeit at the tail end).

Getting back to Candi, I recently picked up a 45 she did with Clarence Carter, who was her husband at the time. "If You Can't Beat 'Em," on Atlantic, ca. '72. Candi doesn't do much besides sing backup vocals - it's not a true duet, but it's right in line with Clarence's greatest. The single is credited to "Clarence Carter & Candi," no doubt because Staton was on a different label, so somebody probably thought it wise for contractual reasons to ID her only by her first name.

Clarence Carter, who was her husband at the time.
    I learned something new today.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts

Yep. Candi was fiiine back then, too - if SoulStrut's ladies will allow me the objectification.

Listen closely to Clarence's "I Smell A Rat" on Atlantic. You can just make out Candi whispering the lyrics in his ear between verses...

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
    She's doing a concert at the club I work at... but I get in from holiday the day after....

STR8 UP SHITTY!