Week-End Finds

Comments

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

Was that the sealed Meditation Singers that was on eBay?

I had an eye on that even though I already own one.

Such an amazing record. Also like that (not pictured)
    Flatjacks - just picked that one up last week, expected
    it to be good but it was even better that I hoped!

• onetetonetet 1,754 Posts
    [The music has a pop feel to it that doesn't fit very well into Gil's early work.
    It's a good album, but not his best and not essential in any way.

Peace

haha, i have to disagree homey. To me, it is his best album and absolutely essential.

I fall somewhere between the two of ya'll... I remember there being two catchy, lovely songs on there, and the rest all respectable (not filler, but not exceptional, either). but not an album for anyone looking for Tropicalia, funk, or "out" sounds.

• but not an album for anyone looking for Tropicalia, funk, or "out" sounds.

definitely agree with you there. to me, it's just his most mature and perfectly realized set of songs. i find it conceptual, spiritual, profound in its integration of music and lyrics, all in a way that jives with my lifestyle. I remember reading an interview where he says that after '77 or so, all of his albums included some obviously awful, commercial shit.

• MoogManMoogMan Sao Paulo, Brazil 1,173 Posts
    [The music has a pop feel to it that doesn't fit very well into Gil's early work.

Peace

haha, i have to disagree homey. To me, it is his best album and absolutely essential.

Hey C**los

This is what I find amazing about music: one man's terd is another man's gold.
    Obviously, this record can't be compared to his later work, that's is aimed to the market and the sales.
    I listened to it recently and didn't find anything remarkable about the music.
    Maybe I need to hear it again, but I surely prefer his early work.

Peace

• i actually have 2 mp3s this time, ive been meaning to share a bit when posting finds and usually never have time.

^^so the top right is a pretty standard local jazz workshop, but i was intrigued by
    the title "In Search Of Ancient Astronauts". turns out that song's got some
    cool stuff in it. after about 90 seconds of not much happening, it gets pretty cool.
    West Genessee Jazz Lab "In Search Of Ancient Astronauts"
    the osmosis is nice early semi-fusion-ish rca 1970?, the disco thing is by the
    pickwick band and i always am intrigued by possible dope cover versions (havent
    checked yet), and the star trek 3 is the first ever copy ive seen of it - ive seen
    like 1000 of each of the other ones. its cool, it comes with a bonus 12" of the
    title theme for some reason.

"Scorpio Rising" on that Osmosis is

• dude please PLEASE use the macro function on your camera when you take close ups.

this is your friend. you need him

• [The music has a pop feel to it that doesn't fit very well into Gil's early work.

Peace

I fall somewhere between the two of ya'll... I remember there being two catchy, lovely songs on there, and the rest all respectable (not filler, but not exceptional, either). but not an album for anyone looking for Tropicalia, funk, or "out" sounds.

True, it's not funky or "out" and may hold little appeal for people looking for things strictly in a Tropicalia vein but it's a damn good album in my opinion. Definitely not a mere two tracker.

• JRootJRoot 861 Posts
    Kool finds Karlophone!

I covet that Lorraine Hansberry LP (among many other things shown).

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts

Zoot Sims Bossa is nice, pretty full orchestration though, Blowfly on Weird World is gross/funny, Tom Jones was free but I'm going to mp3 the versions of 'Shake' & '1000 Dances' before I throw it out, Roland Kirk is original NZ press & is amazingly consistent & nice, Milt Jackson is original UK press & is also great.

Flirtations - Need Your Loving double to give away
    Sam The Sham strong two sider
    Mindbenders - Love Is Good upgrade, killer track, flip to the Groovy Kind Of Love schmaltz.
    Miracles - two nice mid tempo/ballad sides I didn't have already.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Pretty decent Modern Gospel with some Stylistics/Chi-lites style sounds.

• JroamJroam 257 Posts
    Thelma and Pressure Cooker LP
    "I'll never forget whats his name" OST
    "Life" sly and the family
    weekend was good and cheap

• Pretty decent Modern Gospel with some Stylistics/Chi-lites style sounds.

Got this also in a recent collection and I cosign its quality.

• CBearCBear 902 Posts
    THANK U soulstrut... i copped my first yacht-rocker, ive steared clear of these lps in the past but thanks to SS i now know where heat is really at and promised myself never to pass up on one of these realhead nuggets ever again!!!

would it be fair to say that 1978 is a really good year for yacht rocking?

Have to admit I picked this up this weekend just for the same reason. That reminiscing song puts me right there.

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    two 80's adidas track suits and the first issue of Avant Garde magazine.

records basically dont exist in this town anymore.

• some recent stuff:

got the "STREET NOISE" and "SWEETWATER" from a dude on waxidermy -- both great albums -- loving the second disc of streetnoise at the moment. the "SECOS..." LP came in a little package from a vinyl vulture member who's in Brazil -- really fun brazilian psych with a few nice breaks and funky bits. the JACK HAWKINS has a few pretty bombastic play out tracks on there!! the rest came from the daft record shop in clifton arcade -- a load of rubbish but only 1 or 2 quid each.

the 7's are:
    FAMILY - "strange band" p/s ep
    GEORGE BAKER SELECTION - "paloma blanca" p/s (absolute rubbish)
    SUZI QUATRO - "i bit off more than i could chew" (i know there's a great quatro out there but i cant seem to find it!!!)
    JUNIOR - "the snake"
    GEORGIE FAME - "peaceful"
    HORSLIPS - "the man who built america" p/s

....but my grab of the year so far is this little beauty .... never thought i'd actually own an OG of it!! a perfect album from start to finish. really chuffed:

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    Nine Days Wonder on Bacillus (first LP - foam cover NM)
    Subject ESQ on Epic
    Dies Irae on Pilz
    Open House on Calig
    ATCQ - Low End Theory (original)

I'm happy!

• upskibooupskiboo 2,396 Posts
    hi folks, a little sunday tune, theme from this weeks comeups

theme-from-weekend-crackers-1.mp3 - 2.29MB

• upskibooupskiboo 2,396 Posts
    and my friend sent me a pic of some recs he pulled, thought i'd share it, looks like some raer shit...

• fejmelbafejmelba 1,139 Posts

GEORGE BAKER SELECTION - "paloma blanca" p/s (absolute rubbish)

• onetetonetet 1,754 Posts
    some recent stuff:

the "SECOS..." LP came in a little package from a vinyl vulture member who's in Brazil -- really fun brazilian psych with a few nice breaks and funky bits. :

definitely love that record and other stuff by them from that era... i hear more prog, pop and glam (most people i play em for are floored to hear that their singer's a dude) than psych in their music, but great stuff nonetheless and definitely some funky bits in therr.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts

a lot of them had these cool drawings on the sleeves.

some lps

>

>

>

THAT Mike Giles?
    >

• Options
    I found that Tom Carlise last year, please tell me its worth nothing because I sold it for nothing.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    i don't know what it's worth. it's deliciously awful. and I love the cover.

• a lot of them had these cool drawings on the sleeves.

some lps

>

>

>

THAT Mike Giles?
    >

sick 12's

• a lot of them had these cool drawings on the sleeves.

some lps

>

>

>

THAT Mike Giles?
    >

sick 12's

that was not

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    Damn Fatback. Damn.

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    why do you folls take pictures of yer findzzz? makes me want to kick your nuts, faux_rilzzz.

why do you folls take pictures of yer findzzz? makes me want to kick your nuts, faux_rilzzz.

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts

no really... all those pictures make me want to puke. why do you take pictures of all the records you just bought?

no really... all those pictures make me want to puke. why do you take pictures of all the records you just bought?

This is a site for people who go out and "dig".....I personally enjoy seeing what people around the world are finding and I assume others do too.

One reason why some folks do it is to show the other RECORD COLLECTORS here at SS what may be available for them to buy/trade......most folks here know that 90% of what I find goes up on ebay.....so I guess in some cases it's a little like advertising.

So tell us Grope...what about them makes you want to puke??

And why do you continue to click on and look at these posts??