Upcoming Movies

Comments

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    Chicago 10 (about '68 riots, animated a la "Waking Life")

Animated? I thought Spielberg was putting out a movie on the chicago 10, with Sacha Baron Cohen? No? Same film?

- spidey

I was pretty baked most of the time when I took "The Sixties" as an American Studies course in college, but they were the Chicago Seven, right? Who are the other three?

• onetetonetet 1,754 Posts
    Chicago 10 (about '68 riots, animated a la "Waking Life")

Animated? I thought Spielberg was putting out a movie on the chicago 10, with Sacha Baron Cohen? No? Same film?

- spidey

I was pretty baked most of the time when I took "The Sixties" as an American Studies course in college, but they were the Chicago Seven, right? Who are the other three?

I get mixed up about all those cases, the only one I remember for certain is the Catonsville 9 due to the local connection. But the film is indeed called the Chicago 10:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0905979/

Edit: and wikipedia offers this which may clear things up...
    "Chicago 10 is a 2007 animated film written and directed by Brett Morgen and tells the story of the Chicago Seven. The film features the voices of Hank Azaria, Dylan Baker, Nick Nolte, Mark Ruffalo, Roy Scheider, Liev Schreiber, and Jeffrey Wright and contains archive footage of David Dellinger, Abbie Hoffman, William Kunstler, Jerry Rubin, Bobby Seale, and Leonard Weinglass. The title refers to the collection of the Chicago Seven, Seale (a member of the original Chicago Eight), and Kunstler and Weinglass, defense attorneys for the Seven."

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts

thinly-veiled Christian rapture parable?

I will watch this movie on the strength for Wahlberg, but I can't really get down with Shamalam.

Y'all know I'm only half-joking when I say Mark Wahlberg is awesome, right?

Wahlberg rides that thin line where he could disappear into every character he plays and become them totally, but he just doesn't seem to get there imo. For me, very few celebrities who are in the public eye can do that anyway. I wish we had a young Emmett Walsh or Sydney Pollock type character actor these days; in a lot of movies and recognizable, but so good that they become the character and you can suspend disbelief. I would say Mortenson, but dude is not that great to me, T Howard is just too hot and J Gylenhall (sp?) is over-exposed.

The one thing I hate about Shyamalan's film is all the whispering for no good reason - speak the f*ck up!

The hunkyhunk known as Chrisitan Bale comes close, but he is too Hollywood still.

Forest Whitaker is probably closest to the mark, but I'm talking someone a little more next wave coming up.

The hunkyhunk known as Chrisitan Bale comes close, but he is too Hollywood still.

Forest Whitaker is probably closest to the mark, but I'm talking someone a little more next wave coming up.

What about the one Johnny Depp? I think he's probably the best actor of his generation.

What about the one Johnny Depp? I think he's probably the best actor of his generation.

I just can't over him though, I never see him as anyone but Johny Depp playing a character as opposed to that character. The last time dude was the role through and through was 21 Jump Street.

• The hunkyhunk known as Chrisitan Bale comes close, but he is too Hollywood still.

Sam Rockwell?

Paul Giamatti?

Sam Rockwell?

Paul Giamatti?

I'm basing that statement on breadth of characters. Depp was Edward Scissorhands, Ed Wood, Hunter Thompson, etc. Paul Giamatti is always Paul Giamatti, you know?

I'll entertain Sam Rockwell. Name me some roles.

I just can't over him though, I never see him as anyone but Johny Depp playing a character as opposed to that character. The last time dude was the role through and through was 21 Jump Street.

It's easier when you don't think he's cute.

lol - I don't!

Way to go, Bassie. Actors have feelings too, you know.

Way to go, Bassie. Actors have feelings too, you know.

let him go to his hot as hell French wife for comfort!

• Gus Van Sant has an interesting movie coming out titled "Milk".

It's the story of Harvey Milk who was an openly gay San Francisco supervisor who was assassinated along w/mayor George Moscone by another San Francisco supervisor Dan White. the trial was known across the land as the "Twinkie Defense" because Dan White got manslaughter charges rather than 1st degree murder due to him being on a sugary high from eating twinkies. In short they say he suffered from depression and the twinkies pushed him over the edge. Sean Penn is to star as Harvey Milk.

I will check this out.

• let him go to his really weird looking[/b] French wife for comfort!

• The hunkyhunk known as Chrisitan Bale comes close, but he is too Hollywood still.

Sam Rockwell?

Paul Giamatti?

I'm basing that statement on breadth of characters. Depp was Edward Scissorhands, Ed Wood, Hunter Thompson, etc. Paul Giamatti is always Paul Giamatti, you know?

I'll entertain Sam Rockwell. Name me some roles.

I like Depp, but about 90% of his roles these days are "weird white face dude."

(see, Ed Scissorhands, Charlie Chocolate Factory, Sleepy Hollow, Sweeney Todd...)

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    btw, for those interested in Diary of the Dead (new George Romero), I saw an advance screening this a.m. Here's my review...

For me, Romero's one of those directors whose work I still follow, even as I know that the chances they'll pump out something that even comes close to the OG Dawn of the Dead are slim and getting slimmer by the minute... similar to the way I dutifully drag my ass to each new Woody Allen movie, feeling more and more like Don Quixote every time out.

Well, Diary of the Dead let me down yet again, even w/ slim expectations.

The horror elements of the film are fine -- not great, not groundbreaking, but adequate. And it's hard to tell w/ horror when you're watching it w/ just 10 other people at 10 am, but I could see one or two scenes actually giving a packed theatre a few kicks.

The problem is, the film is packed from start to finish w/ heavy-handed political and social commentary and lame-ass characters whose dialogue feels ripped from a 90s straight-to-video slasher film, and the cast feels like a low-rent riff on the casts to a 90s Miramax PG-13 horror flick; I can't think of another horror movie that felt so instantly dated.

The premise of the film is that a student filmmaker (who was out in the woods trying to make a horror movie) finds out the dead have come back to life, and decides to document it all and put it up on myspace/youtube. So every 5 minutes you get one of his friends yelling at him to put the camera down and help them survive, and then you get him lecturing them about how important it is to "tell the world the truth" and "get the story out there." Seriously, this shit never lets up over 90+ minutes.

Harcore horror and/or Romero fans will probably want to check this, especially for one effective sequence featuring an Amish "survivor" and a few gruesome shots/effects (particularly the final frames before the credits). Everyone else should stay away... sadly, the Dawn of the Dead remake was a far better movie than the last few Romero "Dead" films.

See I actually liked Land of the Dead and thought it was a decent revision of the zombie genre compared to the Dawn of the Dead remake which fell apart pretty quickly after the extraordinary beginning.

However what you've mentioned about Diary confirms all my worst fears really. I thought he'd basically gone full circle with Land and the creation of the heroic zombie and this teen orientated entry doesn't seem like a great step forward.

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    See I actually liked Land of the Dead and thought it was a decent revision of the zombie genre compared to the Dawn of the Dead remake which fell apart pretty quickly after the extraordinary beginning.

However what you've mentioned about Diary confirms all my worst fears really. I thought he'd basically gone full circle with Land and the creation of the heroic zombie and this teen orientated entry doesn't seem like a great step forward.

I also enjoyed Land of the dead. This new Diary movie looks pretty shitty, however I thought the movie REC from spain was a pretty interesting take on the romero with a handheld camera style. At least it'll be better than that Nick cannon day of the dead dretch.

City of Men

Don't get too excited. It's on par with season 3 or 4 of City of Men, which IMO were pretty average. It's obviously worth seeing if you've seen the rest of the franchise, but it's nothing to write home about. It's already out on DVD (real, not boot) in Brazil w English subs if you want to avoid the theatre, and it's a decent transfer. The best City of God spinoff was Palace II IMO. City of Men series was good for about 7 to 9 episodes.

Good tip, you called it. Caught the boot, and it wasn't even on par with some of the best of the tv show. Though, it was good to see this turn into something bigger, and I hope they continue it.

Haven't caught Palace 2 what's that about?

- spidey

• Haven't caught Palace 2 what's that about?

- spidey

Apparently that's more about the two youngsters from the show ->

Two young boys, Laranjinha and Acerola, living in Cidade de Deus, one of the most violent neighborhoods in Rio de Janeiro, need some money to go to a concert. The "easiest" (and most dangerous) way to get it is working for some drug-dealers.

This is an excellent short that will open your eyes to the horrible poverty of the Brazilian favelas, namely Cidade de Deus. The short is based on an excerpt from the book "God's City" and through the mischief of two little boys, shows the consequences of living in a favela. See it if you haven't already.

-> http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0303341/

"Cidade De Deus" just used like 1/5th of the book so plenty of things left to use, like the show and that short.

Gus Van Sant has an interesting movie coming out titled "Milk".

It's the story of Harvey Milk who was an openly gay San Francisco supervisor who was assassinated along w/mayor George Moscone by another San Francisco supervisor Dan White. the trial was known across the land as the "Twinkie Defense" because Dan White got manslaughter charges rather than 1st degree murder due to him being on a sugary high from eating twinkies. In short they say he suffered from depression and the twinkies pushed him over the edge. Sean Penn is to star as Harvey Milk.

I will check this out.

yeah, i'm definitely looking forward to this.

http://www.slashfilm.com/2008/02/04/hundreds-of-extras-march-on-castro-for-gus-van-sants-milk/

...still filming, so I dunno if an 08 release is optimistic... guess van Sant works quickly so maybe it'll be a fall or December release.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Anything you guys are looking out for? These look kinda interesting.

Liam = yes.
    Maggie Grace = hells no.

I will check this out.

http://www.slashfilm.com/2008/02/04/hundreds-of-extras-march-on-castro-for-gus-van-sants-milk/

...still filming, so I dunno if an 08 release is optimistic... guess van Sant works quickly so maybe it'll be a fall or December release.

Remind me, what's good about Gus Van Sant again?

- spidey

I will check this out.

- spidey

I loved three films in a row he made -- Elephant, Gerry, and Last Days. hypnotic, dreamlike, disturbing, risky, and small art films from a guy who could've chosen to keep making safe films like Good Will Hunting and Finding Forester.

That said, I don't ride for many of the 80s and 90s films he made his rep on.

I feel like Milk has potential, despite my overall distaste for biopics/historical dramas -- it boasts a stranger-than-fiction story, amazing characters, timely subject matter, and is being made by people who care deeply about the story in a place that still cares deeply about its subject.

- spidey

Drugstore Cowboy - though I am not certain how well it has aged.

Other than that, I would say that unlike Larry Clark, you can watch his movies with your mom/aunt/grandma, and his grade of chickenhawk is a little easier for the general public to, um, swallow.

- spidey

Drugstore Cowboy - though I am not certain how well it has aged.

Other than that, I would say that unlike Larry Clark, you can watch his movies with your mom/aunt/grandma, and his grade of chickenhawk is a little easier for the general public to, um, swallow.

watch em w/ grandma? Only in that they'd probably fall asleep!

Maybe my grandma is more easily shocked than yours...

- spidey
    could've chosen to keep making safe films the same film over and over again[/b] like Good Will Hunting and Finding Forester.

I loved three films in a row he made -- Elephant, Gerry, and Last Days. hypnotic, dreamlike, disturbing, risky, and small art films from a guy who could've chosen to keep making safe films like Good Will Hunting and Finding Forester.

I've seen Elephant, and Last days, and didn't like em is probably the nicest way I can put it.

I'm willing to look into Drugstore Cowboy though. Even though I hated good will hunting, and finding forrester.

- spidey

I've seen Elephant, and Last days, and didn't like em is probably the nicest way I can put it.

I'm willing to look into Drugstore Cowboy though. Even though I hated good will hunting, and finding forrester.

- spidey

DC is not like the latter two you mentioned. good soundtrack too. worth seeing, even if you do not like it.

- spidey

fair enough. bottom line is, he takes risks... which in my mind jettisons him above most directors who worked in hollywood in the 80s and 90s.

that said, he's not one of my favorite dirs or anything... definitely not in my top 10 working now. MAYBE in my top 25.

• Well I started to post this movie for '08, but it looks like it's been pushed back to '09:

Where the Wild Things Are

The movie is an adaptation of the classic Maurice Sendak picture book and combines live action and CGI animation. The puppets were created by Jim Henson???s Creature Workshop. The film's release has been pushed back to 2009, for soundtrack collaboration with music composer Carter Burwell.

Rumors also surfaced that lead singer for the band Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Karen O, will also be playing a role in the films' soundtrack but details surrounding her involvement have been undetermined as of this time.

Produced by Tom Hanks and directed by Spike Jonze. Starring Catherine Keener as the mother and James Gandolfini, Angus Sampson, Benicio Del Toro and Forest Whitaker as the Wild Things.

Well I started to post this movie for '08, but it looks like it's been pushed back to '09:

Where the Wild Things Are

The movie is an adaptation of the classic Maurice Sendak picture book and combines live action and CGI animation. The puppets were created by Jim Henson???s Creature Workshop. The film's release has been pushed back to 2009, for soundtrack collaboration with music composer Carter Burwell.

Rumors also surfaced that lead singer for the band Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Karen O, will also be playing a role in the films' soundtrack but details surrounding her involvement have been undetermined as of this time.

Produced by Tom Hanks and directed by Spike Jonze. Starring Catherine Keener as the mother and James Gandolfini, Angus Sampson, Benicio Del Toro and Forest Whitaker as the Wild Things.

if I remember correctly, written or co-written by David Eggers.