Upcoming Movies

DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
edited February 2008 in Strut Central
Anything you guys are looking out for? These look kinda interesting.

And I know many of you hate on some of the people involved on this one. But, it still looks interesting. Though, I still feel like M. Night owes alot of people some money back from his last film.http://www.firstshowing.net/2008/02/04/m-night-shyamalans-the-happening-teaser-trailer/

Comments

• thinly-veiled Christian rapture parable?

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    thinly-veiled Christian rapture parable?

No idea. But I'm sure you'll have a negative spin/comment for it.

damn I really have become grumpy in my old age, huh? it's really mostly with regards to these hollywood excitement threads. I find it increasingly insulting what hollywood tries to foist on us these days. and let's be honest, I'm never alone in my negativity in these threads.

what is this BTW: ??? I wasn't really paying attention the day we switched to these Korean graemlins, and most of them don't make any sense to me. what is the significance of this one?

Perhaps Mr. Shylaman watched this recently:

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts

damn I really have become grumpy in my old age, huh? it's really mostly with regards to these hollywood excitement threads. I find it increasingly insulting what hollywood tries to foist on us these days. and let's be honest, I'm never alone in my negativity in these threads.

what is this BTW: ??? I wasn't really paying attention the day we switched to these Korean graemlins, and most of them don't make any sense to me. what is the significance of this one?

HA HA, I'm just messing with ya. But I can seem to always count on opening a thread and reading a negative response from you! I almost look forward to ur skilled bashing.

Just so ya know, the first film posted is a French film I believe.

Oh, and I have no clue about the graemlin. I just used it to go along with trash talking.

And yeah on the suicide club thing. Which I didn't really like much. So, I guess I won't like this one.

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    I was really waiting for that Mark Romanek, Benicio Del Toro, Wolfman movie to drop. Can't believe they got Joe Jumanji Johnston on it now, FAIL.

I am hype for the new City of Men movie. The series has been alot of fun, and the movie looks like the next level. Speaking of which Fernando Meirelles has another one coming out called, Blindness. Starring Julianne Moore, Mark Ruffalo, and Gael Garc??a Bernal. This book is great, and Meirelles is an incredible director.

I can't wait to see Clark Gregg's, CHOKE based on the Chuck Palahniuk book. This book is really great, about a sex addict who goes to restaraunts and chokes on the food to make people save his life, and in return they feel so rewarded they give him gifts and money. Lot more to it than that, but it's a funny book. Sam Rockwell is a great choice for the lead character, Victor Mancini.

Hm what else, Iron man, Hulk and Batman look like they're coming along nicely.

- spidey

• onetetonetet 1,754 Posts
    I'll prolly check out the Happening, albeit w/ very low expectations.

here are some other titles I'm looking forward to and/or curious about for 08...

Funny Games
    Benjamin Button
    Blindness (thriller from City of God dir)
    Semi-Pro
    Dark Knight
    City of Men
    the Signal (indie horror)
    Diary of the Dead (new Romero, seeing this one tomorrow)
    Chicago 10 (about '68 riots, animated a la "Waking Life")
    Snow Angels (David Gordon Green)
    My Blueberry Nights (Wong Kar-wai)
    Forgetting Sarah Marshall (Team Apatow)
    Harola and Kumar Escape from Guantanamo Bay
    Baby Mama (Tina Fey/Amy Poehler)
    Iron Man
    Wanted
    Battle in Seattle
    Be Kind Rewind
    Choke
    Step Brothers (Will Ferrell/John C Reilly)
    Happy Go-Lucky (from UK dir Mike Leigh)
    Taxi to the Dark Side (Iraq doc)
    Ballast (Sundance indie drama)
    Baghead (Sundance indie comedy)
    American Teen (Sundance doc)
    Public Enemy: Welcome to the Terrordome (doc -- still trying to determine what this is)
    Where in the World is Osama bin Ladin
    Downloading Nancy (Sundance dark drama)
    Roman Polanski: Wanted + Desired (doc)
    Gonzo: Life+Work of Hunter S Thompson (doc)

and hopefully plenty of great films I haven't heard of yet...

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    I'll prolly check out the Happening, albeit w/ very low expectations.

here are some other titles I'm looking forward to and/or curious about for 08...

Funny Games
    Benjamin Button
    Blindness (thriller from City of God dir)
    Semi-Pro
    Dark Knight
    City of Men
    the Signal (indie horror)
    Diary of the Dead (new Romero, seeing this one tomorrow)
    Snow Angels (David Gordon Green)
    My Blueberry Nights (Wong Kar-wai)
    Forgetting Sarah Marshall (Team Apatow)
    Harola and Kumar Escape from Guantanamo Bay
    Baby Mama (Tina Fey/Amy Poehler)
    Iron Man
    Wanted
    Battle in Seattle
    Be Kind Rewind
    Choke
    Step Brothers (Will Ferrell/John C Reilly)
    Happy Go-Lucky (from UK dir Mike Leigh)
    Taxi to the Dark Side (Iraq doc)
    Ballast (Sundance indie drama)
    Baghead (Sundance indie comedy)
    American Teen (Sundance doc)
    Public Enemy: Welcome to the Terrordome (doc -- still trying to determine what this is)
    Where in the World is Osama bin Ladin
    Downloading Nancy (Sundance dark drama)
    Roman Polanski: Wanted + Desired (doc)
    Gonzo: Life+Work of Hunter S Thompson (doc)

and hopefully plenty of great films I haven't heard of yet...

wow, I hadn't heard of many of these. Those docs especially look interesting.

I'm really looking forward to that Joe Louis doc on HBO in late feb. I'm glad they're taking a more complete approach as opposed to just concentrating on the glory years like I belive most docs might make the mistake of doing.

• Nice list, I'm not into the frat comedies or comic book movies but I always enjoy a good doc.

Funny Games, can't believe that's getting remade (shot4shot)
    I saw it on IFC before they started playing The Anniversary Party on repeat
    pretty good ... but slightly pointless at the same time

Be Kind Rewind should be interesting too, although similar to past Gondry efforts.

I know there was a Sundance movie I wanted to see. Maybe it was Ballast but I can't be sure.

Still haven't seen Diving Bell & Butterfly, Michael Clayton, No Country For Old Men, There Will Be Blood so I need to catch up

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts

Animated? I thought Spielberg was putting out a movie on the chicago 10, with Sacha Baron Cohen? No? Same film?

- spidey

• Funny Games, can't believe that's getting remade

I just realized that I've seen the OG. Back in the day my girl T*resa called me from the video store and I told her "I don't know, just pick something interesting."

After that night, I was in charge of picking out the movies.

Shit was WTF horrible.

She loved Tim Roth, too.

Rest in peace, T. Every time I pass Schlotzky's, I hear you saying "Shhhhlawtski's" in your not-that-great Sean Connery impersonation and it makes me laugh with a tear in my eye.

^^^^^ PROOF THAT THE JEWS DON'T RUN HOLLYWOOD!

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts

Funny Games

Maybe I'll be proved wrong but I can't see anything they could bring to this move by remaking it. The original completes it's purpose almost without fault and I doubt that making this film in the english language is going to entice millions to the box office to watch a film about murdering a family even with the current torture horror trend.

I didn't know about the new Romero though, just checked it out and not too excited about it a) being another camcorder flick and b) starring a load of mouthy teenagers. Will still go an watch it though as always interested to see what else he can bring to the table.

• parenparen 537 Posts

Funny Games

I can't see anything they could bring to this move by remaking it. The original completes it's purpose almost without fault and I doubt that making this film in the english language is going to entice millions to the box office to watch a film about murdering a family even with the current torture horror trend.

i was shocked when i first heard about the remake. it's time code unknown...

• MoSSMoSS 458 Posts

City of Men

Don't get too excited. It's on par with season 3 or 4 of City of Men, which IMO were pretty average. It's obviously worth seeing if you've seen the rest of the franchise, but it's nothing to write home about. It's already out on DVD (real, not boot) in Brazil w English subs if you want to avoid the theatre, and it's a decent transfer. The best City of God spinoff was Palace II IMO. City of Men series was good for about 7 to 9 episodes.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts

City of Men

Don't get too excited. It's on par with season 3 or 4 of City of Men, which IMO were pretty average. It's obviously worth seeing if you've seen the rest of the franchise, but it's nothing to write home about. It's already out on DVD (real, not boot) in Brazil w English subs if you want to avoid the theatre, and it's a decent transfer. The best City of God spinoff was Palace II IMO. City of Men series was good for about 7 to 9 episodes.

when you buy the city of men DVD of amazon do you get all the seasons

if not ill just buy them separetly here in Brazil

those movies one tet posted look ill
    im hyped for any new wong kar wai

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts

Funny Games

I can't see anything they could bring to this move by remaking it. The original completes it's purpose almost without fault and I doubt that making this film in the english language is going to entice millions to the box office to watch a film about murdering a family even with the current torture horror trend.

i was shocked when i first heard about the remake. it's time code unknown...

Funny Games is a really good movie. Granted, I didn't see/know the original but thought it was strong. Not my genre at all and I saw it for work purposes so no expectations but I was pleasantly surprised, if that's the right phrase.

Animated? I thought Spielberg was putting out a movie on the chicago 10, with Sacha Baron Cohen? No? Same film?

- spidey

yeah, two different movies. Chicago 10 played Sundance in 07, and Spielberg's film w/ Cohen as Abbie Hoffmann has yet to start shooting.

As for all the Funny Games worries... Haneke has yet to make a bad film IMO. Granted, this one has the greatest potential for disaster of anything he's done, but given his track record I don't see any reason to walk into it expecting a let-down. He may end up having a lot to say given the new setting, our current political climate, etc. Also, I don't think the film's going into wide release -- I don't think the excpectation's there that it'll make $50 mill or anything like that, I think it's going to be a mixture of art-house and a sprinkling of multiplex screens.

• MoSSMoSS 458 Posts

City of Men

when you buy the city of men DVD of amazon do you get all the seasons

if not ill just buy them separetly here in Brazil

those movies one tet posted look ill
    im hyped for any new wong kar wai

The PLAM release has all 4 seasons of City of Men in it, and it's a good price for what you get. That's the one on Amazon, just make sure it's not the Optimum (UK) as they stopped after 2 seasons. If you're in Brazil you can get the movie now on DVD.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts

Haneke has yet to make a bad film IMO.

Agreed, but this remake has me pissed off.

Naomi Watts is in it too.

• MoSSMoSS 458 Posts

- spidey

yeah, two different movies. Chicago 10 played Sundance in 07, and Spielberg's film w/ Cohen as Abbie Hoffmann has yet to start shooting.

As for all the Funny Games worries... Haneke has yet to make a bad film IMO. Granted, this one has the greatest potential for disaster of anything he's done, but given his track record I don't see any reason to walk into it expecting a let-down. He may end up having a lot to say given the new setting, our current political climate, etc. Also, I don't think the film's going into wide release -- I don't think the excpectation's there that it'll make $50 mill or anything like that, I think it's going to be a mixture of art-house and a sprinkling of multiplex screens.

Agreed. It is a let down for fans of Haneke however, as Cache's success has forced us to now have to sit through a remake as opposed to an original film. I can't be too upset however, he has to eat and I'm guessing he's got more of a chance to bank off this remake then an original feature. I also think Funny Games is the one film he can remake that a mainstream audience would take too, apart from maybe Bennys Video. My personal favorite is 7th Continent, but there is no way in hell that would go over as a remake...lol

Oh well...in 2009 we get Das Wei??e Band anyhow...

• a) I can't imagine any scenario in which Funny Games (the og) could be considered terrible.

b) Haneke remade it shot-for-shot, line-for-line pretty much.

c) American audiences won't be ready.

AS to movies to get hyped for, "The Poughkeepsie Tapes", "Ruins" maybe.....

• Charlie Kauffman's directorial debut sometime in the first half of the year:
    Synecdoche, New York

you're just pissed it wasn't Adjani.

I also think Funny Games is the one film he can remake that a mainstream audience would take too, apart from maybe Bennys Video. My personal favorite is 7th Continent, but there is no way in hell that would go over as a remake...lol

Seventh Continent is my favorite of his as well... in fact, I showed it in my film series about 6 months back. Benny's Video was cool, although not seeing it until last year or so, I felt like I'd seen too many imitators before I finally got to see the real thing.

I'm thinking I'd rank his films as follows:

Seventh Continent
    Code Unknown
    Time of the Wolf (if you can see on the big screen, prolly ineffective on vid)
    Funny Games OG
    Piano Teacher
    Benny's Video
    Cache
    71 Fragments

still haven't seen The Castle, the only one out on video in the US that I've missed to the best of my knowledge.

You know what? I'm going to call her right now and see what happened - why that wet noodle gets yet another role while Adjaniheat gets overlooked.

You know what? I'm going to call her right now and see what happened - why that wet noodle gets yet another role while Adjaniheat gets overlooked.

wouldn't it be more prudent to just don shades and a hoodie and shadow her at half-a-block's distance, matching her stride step by lovely step?

wouldn't it be more prudent to just don shades and a hoodie and shadow her at half-a-block's distance, matching her stride step by lovely step?

You seem to know about this kind of thing...
    The in-person contact doesn't seem to go as smoothly as calling from different numbers. I mean calling and chatting.

btw, for those interested in Diary of the Dead (new George Romero), I saw an advance screening this a.m. Here's my review...

For me, Romero's one of those directors whose work I still follow, even as I know that the chances they'll pump out something that even comes close to the OG Dawn of the Dead are slim and getting slimmer by the minute... similar to the way I dutifully drag my ass to each new Woody Allen movie, feeling more and more like Don Quixote every time out.

Well, Diary of the Dead let me down yet again, even w/ slim expectations.

The horror elements of the film are fine -- not great, not groundbreaking, but adequate. And it's hard to tell w/ horror when you're watching it w/ just 10 other people at 10 am, but I could see one or two scenes actually giving a packed theatre a few kicks.

The problem is, the film is packed from start to finish w/ heavy-handed political and social commentary and lame-ass characters whose dialogue feels ripped from a 90s straight-to-video slasher film, and the cast feels like a low-rent riff on the casts to a 90s Miramax PG-13 horror flick; I can't think of another horror movie that felt so instantly dated.

The premise of the film is that a student filmmaker (who was out in the woods trying to make a horror movie) finds out the dead have come back to life, and decides to document it all and put it up on myspace/youtube. So every 5 minutes you get one of his friends yelling at him to put the camera down and help them survive, and then you get him lecturing them about how important it is to "tell the world the truth" and "get the story out there." Seriously, this shit never lets up over 90+ minutes.

Harcore horror and/or Romero fans will probably want to check this, especially for one effective sequence featuring an Amish "survivor" and a few gruesome shots/effects (particularly the final frames before the credits). Everyone else should stay away... sadly, the Dawn of the Dead remake was a far better movie than the last few Romero "Dead" films.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts

I will watch this movie on the strength for Wahlberg, but I can't really get down with Shamalam.

Y'all know I'm only half-joking when I say Mark Wahlberg is awesome, right?