what do you guys think about (sampling related)

youknowyouknowyouknowyouknow 264 Posts
edited January 2008 in Strut Central
sample musicians such as the gaslamp killer who more or less loops 24 bars from obscure records from artists such as erin koray. i think there was a post sometime ago about him using a 'sons of spirit' track. i see it more as a rejuvinated recycling, since nothing is really being 'flipped', nor are the sounds being alienated from the original context, they're more like covers of the originals. i dig what he releases (pause)

Comments

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    im sure it sounds great and thats what matters most, but ripping a whole song is pretty lame. generally if i think a song is already perfect as-is, i dont wanna sample it. i cant go anywhere better with it, so whats the point.

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    sample musicians such as the gaslamp killer who more or less loops 16 bars from obscure records from artists such as erin koray. i think there was a post sometime ago about using a 'sons of spirit' track. i see it more as a rejuvinated recycling, since nothing is really being 'flipped', nor are the sounds being alienated from the original context, they're more like covers of the originals. i dig what he releases (pause)

I know I have NEVER heard of the "gaslamp killer." Who dat? So this guy just loops a few bars of a record and that is it? I would rather just listen to the damn record! LOL. Plaese to post some of the "gaslamp killer's" best work so we can pass judgement. MP3s plaese........

sample musicians such as the gaslamp killer who more or less loops 16 bars from obscure records from artists such as erin koray. i think there was a post sometime ago about using a 'sons of spirit' track. i see it more as a rejuvinated recycling, since nothing is really being 'flipped', nor are the sounds being alienated from the original context, they're more like covers of the originals. i dig what he releases (pause)

I know I have NEVER heard of the "gaslamp killer." Who dat? So this guy just loops a few bars of a record and that is it? I would rather just listen to the damn record! LOL. Plaese to post some of the "gaslamp killer's" best work so we can pass judgement. MP3s plaese........

exactly, but yeah i dont wanna criticise the dude till i hear for sure what he's all about.

if he does what is being said, i could probably duplicate his record by downloading soundclips from a couple auctions and looping that shit. no skill.

• this isn't any sort of malicious criticism towards him. i dig his stuff, like i mentioned, i believe this same topic was brought up on another post about his song "aduet" where a singer was added over a long 'sons of spirit' loop.

http://www.brandyflower.com/GLK/ROBOTS.mp3 (singer added)

well for instance: http://www.brandyflower.com/GLK/AFTERALL.mp3: i believe he drums over this track. (based on videos and performances i've seen.)

i assume in a way they're more re-edits than anything, but not promoted as such.

http://www.myspace.com/thegaslampkiller

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    Sorry dude, not feelin' this shit AT ALL. It sounds like a hot mess and the vocals are terrible.

it doesnt sound bad really but knowing that somebody is tryin to make a name off something that takes so little effort is , but whatever.

• karlophonekarlophone 1,697 Posts
    i didnt listen to those clips but the description of the sampling style makes me think of Egon. I ddnt really understand Egon's deal, its basically sounds like remixes to me, not original songs.. but, they have their own titles and are presented as original songs. im referring to:

• dayday 9,612 Posts
    i didnt listen to those clips but the description of the sampling style makes me think of Egon. I ddnt really understand Egon's deal, its basically sounds like remixes to me, not original songs.. but, they have their own titles and are presented as original songs. im referring to:

that was a break/scratch record.

I know all of these dudes so I'm gonna keep it...

I will say there's many ways to make music through sampling. Taking big ass pieces of a song and claiming it as yours is NAGL, but I haven't heard the source material for some of these so I can't say.

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    It's funny cause this time last year I was talking to Will and Mestizo @ Turntablel.ab LA and mentioning that they should check out the Strut.

- spidey

• covecove 1,566 Posts

vs

• jimeyjimey 279 Posts
    the psych mixes are dope and the track on from l.a. with love is nice too

• I HATE LOS ANGELES

(sometimes)

• I see this as a middle ground between djing and producing. He's not really producing a track in the sense of orchestrating and arranging (or rearranging as it is) a bunch of noises and is instead just playing obscure tracks and throwing a break under it, or whatever else.

love it or hate it it's kind of a double edge sword. I find most times people try and "flip" a song I really dig, the beat pales in comparison to the song it samples. but then someone comes along and chops the shit out of something or layers it with all sorts of other shit, making an incredible beat* and after a few listens you spot one element from a song you know and you get that

*not saying I always like super complex productions, keeping it simple can create music just as good.

• VIVA THE HOME RECORDING REVOLUTION!

EVERYONE CAN MAKE MUSIC!!!!!!!!!!!!

OH AWESOME!

• PABLOPABLO 1,921 Posts
    Thanks to that Myspace page I now feel in tune with the LA hipster scene.

Dude films himself getting a haircut while wearing his own GLK t-shirt.

I remember seeing A LOT of coverage on him in REUP Magazine.

P.S. Just to play devil's advocate: I recall many of the samples from Endtroducing were big 'ol chunks of songs as well (which Shadow put together beautifully but still...I'm sayin).

• djkingottodjkingotto 1,704 Posts
    Thanks to that Myspace page I now feel in tune with the LA hipster scene.

Dude films himself getting a haircut while wearing his own GLK t-shirt.

I remember seeing A LOT of coverage on him in REUP Magazine.

P.S. Just to play devil's advocate: I recall many of the samples from Endtroducing were big 'ol chunks of songs as well (which Shadow put together beautifully but still...I'm sayin).

people's instinctive travels was mostly long ass loops with drums too. but that was way better than this.

• this isn't any sort of malicious criticism towards him. i dig his stuff, like i mentioned, i believe this same topic was brought up on another post about his song "aduet" where a singer was added over a long 'sons of spirit' loop.

http://www.brandyflower.com/GLK/ROBOTS.mp3 (singer added)

well for instance: http://www.brandyflower.com/GLK/AFTERALL.mp3: i believe he drums over this track. (based on videos and performances i've seen.)

i assume in a way they're more re-edits than anything, but not promoted as such.

http://www.myspace.com/thegaslampkiller

just my opinion, but this is unlistenable.

• rascmonrascmon 441 Posts

Lots of people still try to discern between types of production and good and bad producers by making the looping connection, like somebody saying "I hate puffy because all he does is loop something, but I love DJ Shadow and premier because they chop up everything and you cant recognize it!". Every producer loops. Endtroducing is mostly drum loops and huge sample sections - yet it is pumped as some sort of mpc-as-instrument-unrecognizable-sample-wizardry.

if a beat is hot, it's hot, loop or not. it doesn't matter

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    I used to see this dude at the record shows. he always weirded me out. I'm suprised none of the other SD strutters are chiming in on this guy. From what I've heard he's a decent dude, and I don't know him personally so whatever. I didn't realize he was in L.A. now.

• if a beat is hot, it's hot, loop or not. it doesn't matter

I agree with this statement, but I think if you take a hot song and flip it in an interesting way I am more likely to enjoy it more than a loop of that hot song. In my own shit I have been bold enough to loop a section as big as 4 bars but I usually layer more samples and live instrumentation over that 4 bar groove. As far as Gaslamp goes... I think he's got a good gimmick going on. However, his music can't really hold my interest beyond one listen. Same reason some of Madlibs Material has fallen off for me. He has a good ear for samples but he just straight jacks shit when you know he could easily chop it and do something interesting with the material. is it lazyness?

• LokoOneLokoOne 1,823 Posts
    ive heard a few tracks like that where they take a chunk of funk and loop it. My thing is if your going to do that, then Frickin' get a dj (or yourself) to cut it up.

J Live said something about that in an interview about Braggin Writes...why he breakbeats the song...he was like 'we were just gonna use the loop, and since we wont changing it we said lets be real then and cut the break up.."

To me if a producer does it like that its justified to just use one long loop, since its keeping the old skool tradition. On a side note I used to grab funk loops (8-12 bars) and play them to my old band who would basically listen to them for a bit, then replay the loop...and presto we had a new song...hehehe (but that was for fun....)

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    I like samples, I like sample-based producers, I like the source of the samples, I like what it takes to listen to a song and create someting from it, be it a flat out loop fest or something along the lines of Jan Jelinek, or as creative as what Jazzanova, Oh Astro, or Shinichi Osawa do.

If it's a direct cover of a song, I don't see the point. There are enough musicians out there who would like the idea of collaborating with them to recreate something, do that instead, or mix the two elements. Sampling is thievery of other sounds, so why should the act of it have rules?

• My general opinion is that if it sounds good, then go with it. I think a big part of people's perception is in how the artist wants to portray their music. If someone says "this is my new CD" (of compositions) and it's more like a mix of other peoples music, then that's questionable. But if the person is like "this is my new disc - it's a mix/re-edits and some original tracks...etc." then it's to be understood for what it is.

GLK gave me a cd when he was in Chicago (bw cover - slimline case - forgot the name) and I liked it. It sounded like re-edits, loops, and original material combined in a continuous mix (balzing downtempo) with some heavy reverb (distortion) over certain parts. I'm not mad at that. Also, he was a nice guy and played a good set w/ Scott Herren.

• music is art

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    music is life

• He's a solid DJ. After listening to stuff he's played or released, the idea of him being considered a producer or beat maker never once crossed my mind though

• I hear good things and bad things about the guy, He definately built an amazing hype machine. I've heard some shady ass shit about dude, but he also seems to play cool reputable parties in LA so he must not be all bad. He certainly has a lot of people talking.

• VIVA THE HOME RECORDING REVOLUTION!

EVERYONE CAN MAKE MUSIC!!!!!!!!!!!!

OH AWESOME!

blowin some steam thes?

• deLYSdeLYS 388 Posts
    , but he also seems to play cool reputable parties in _____ so he must not be all bad.

life exp survey say NO![/b]
    be ever ful
    No real opinion on this except for the fact that the 1st mp3 sounds a lot like a troutmask replica of the GI JOE movie intro song for robots. EVIL...TAKING...FLIGHT.
    COBRAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!
    eyyyeeelll beeee yourrr eyyeeessssssss
    the outro is milking it, but I guess everyone needs a theme song like jack spade
    but escape pod 'whooshes' and red alerts inbetween can't claim much else can they?