what do you guys think about (sampling related)

2»

Comments

• VIVA THE HOME RECORDING REVOLUTION!

EVERYONE CAN MAKE MUSIC!!!!!!!!!!!!

OH AWESOME!

blowin some steam thes?

A Little.

bored with modern music.

I need some

• ps. everything I make starts with a loop.

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    ps. everything I make starts with a loop.

as long as the loop isnt 64 bars long, nothing about it...

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

as long as the loop isnt 64 bars long, nothing about it...

Biting shit is fucked up but if u can pull it off then whatever.

What that Wu Tang track were mofos rhyme over 70% of an Issac Hayes track....walk on by, maybe? Or The "rules" have been so shattered a long time ago it doesnt fuckin matter anymore.

My generation took pride in findin' that other shit. But Recontextualizing someone track as a whole takes a good amount skill that can be rewarded if done cleverly.......IMO.

• doomdoom 305 Posts
    VIVA THE HOME RECORDING REVOLUTION!

OH AWESOME!

blowin some steam thes?

A Little.

bored with modern music.

I need some

Its been a long time since something dropped.

• catalistcatalist 1,373 Posts
    this music isn't too interesting to my ears....

If something creative is done using loops then I am all for it and I could care less about 64 bars or 137 bar loops.. Entroducing is a good example of looping done right.

This stuff just doesn't grab me...

..........................NOT

• dayday 9,612 Posts
    ..........................NOT

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts

Ditto. In fact, I much prefer looping to getting super-choppy with it...well, when it comes to melodies, at any rate. Drums are a different story (though I do like looped drums as well, assuming they fit). I've looped four-bar phrases before, but I wouldn't think to basically loop up an entire verse+chorus and call that beatmaking. Re-editing would be a better term, I think.

Ditto. In fact, I much prefer looping to getting super-choppy with it...well, when it comes to melodies, at any rate. Drums are a different story (though I do like looped drums as well, assuming they fit). I've looped four-bar phrases before, but I wouldn't think to basically loop up an entire verse+chorus and call that beatmaking. Re-editing would be a better term, I think.

yeah. everything i do starts with a loop as well.

AAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts

it doesnt sound bad really but knowing that somebody is tryin to make a name off something that takes so little effort is , but whatever.

Effort=quality?

How do you feel about 4'33"?

How do you feel about Come Out?

Wouldn't anyone who's great at playing an instrument say that it doesn't take much effort, that it comes easily?

• VIVA THE HOME RECORDING REVOLUTION!

OH AWESOME!

blowin some steam thes?

When or where did gaslamp sample that spanky and our gang sample? did he? the one thats like a 13 beat.

it doesnt sound bad really but knowing that somebody is tryin to make a name off something that takes so little effort is , but whatever.

Effort=quality?

Wouldn't anyone who's great at playing an instrument say that it doesn't take much effort, that it comes easily?

so youre saying if i performed "4'33"" but changed it to "2'55" and put my name on the handbill, it would be great in its own right?

• How do you feel about 4'33"?

4'33" is a concept not a song, dummy.

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts

I am not a dummy or a fraud, but you're being internet belligerent. Right now I am wondering whether or not you talk to people like that in real life.

I never said that 4'33" was a song. It is however, a composition. There is a score of it available for purchase. The score has three movements. The notation for each movement is simply the word 'tacit'. Don't jump to conclusions in gravities where your tush touches your heels.

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts

Effort=quality?

so youre saying if i performed "4'33"" but changed it to "2'55" and put my name on the handbill, it would be great in its own right?

Not at all. I am saying that the quality of 4'33", Come Out, and well-tempered musicianship are great, but the effort is paltry.

As far as your performance of 2'55" being great in its own right, yes it would be great. If you were to follow the score--and pedagogy--that Cage created. That is the wonder of the composition, it is only about a person's ability to listen.

Effort=quality?

Not at all. I am saying that the quality of 4'33", Come Out, and well-tempered musicianship are great, but the effort is paltry.

As far as your performance of 2'55" being great in its own right, yes it would be great. If you were to follow the score--and pedagogy--that Cage created. That is the wonder of the composition, it is only about a person's ability to listen.

what i meant about so little effort wasnt necessarily taken correctly, plenty of classic songs took minimal effort, and youre right that when youre good enough, PLAYING an instrument takes little effort too. what i meant was, if youre just taking something in almost its entirety and putting your name on it, thats lacking in a few things including effort.

i mean, if i played you a copy of your favorite song, then said "yeah i made this", and you knew who it actually was played by, im sure you'd take issue with it, regardless of how amazing the song is.

however this is based on an argument about people who were to do that. i dont know anything about the gaslight killer or whatever, so none of this is directed at him or anybody else mentioned in the thread necessarily.

• it doesnt sound bad really but knowing that somebody is tryin to make a name off something that takes so little effort is , but whatever.

Effort=quality?

what i meant about so little effort wasnt necessarily taken correctly, plenty of classic songs took minimal effort, and youre right that when youre good enough, PLAYING an instrument takes little effort too. what i meant was, if youre just taking something in almost its entirety and putting your name on it, thats lacking in a few things including effort.

i mean, if i played you a copy of your favorite song, then said "yeah i made this", and you knew who it actually was played by, im sure you'd take issue with it, regardless of how amazing the song is.

however this is based on an argument about people who were to do that. i dont know anything about the gaslight killer or whatever, so none of this is directed at him or anybody else mentioned in the thread necessarily.

i think the term "effort" is being thought of an unilateral way. i mean, it's a multiordinal word and i don't believe effort merely amounts to how much physical exertion a piece of music contains. whether it be looping sounds on a reel-to-reel or looping drums on a computer, or notating a Bach-like fugue. i think 4'33 expresses a great deal of effort. i believe it was the first piece to completely shit on the history and form of classical music by creating such an extreme non-rationalistic/shinto philosophical piece of work, which the classical world, up until then, had never accepted has being "music". i guess the effort in 4'33 can be seen to be purely mental, since I'm sure it took Cage but a few minutes to manifest his ideas-creating its movements and such. but it seems contradictory to separate the mental state with the physical state, since they imply each other. i guess what i'm getting at is if the motive or thought behind what a person creates (like lifting another persons music and promoting it as their own, not as a re-edit or whatever) is for their own glorification, then that limited mental state will manifest into a song, and can be deemed as lazy or effortless. rather then glorification to be a by-product of a soulful motive to create a funky song, even if only three notes are being played (la monte young) or an asymmetrical zillion noted song (brian ferneyhough)

• How do you feel about 4'33"?

I am not a dummy or a fraud, but you're being internet belligerent. Right now I am wondering whether or not you talk to people like that in real life.

I never said that 4'33" was a song. It is however, a composition. There is a score of it available for purchase. The score has three movements. The notation for each movement is simply the word 'tacit'. Don't jump to conclusions in gravities where your tush touches your heels.

Nobody but hack music theorists like yourself takes 4'33" seriously.

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    Way too much intellectual discussion for such an awful song

LOL

so so ghey , i will have to change this pic soon , as it is creeping the shit out of me.

• dayday 9,612 Posts

LOL

so so ghey , i will have to change this pic soon , as it is creeping the shit out of me.

no way, it's the best thing in this whole thread!

LOL

no way, it's the best thing in this whole thread!

It's been changed to something much more appropriate and Awesome.

• rookrook 357 Posts
    gaslight killer

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
    I hope Roots Manuva is getting money if that fool is releasing any of that shite on his myspace page. sampling old records is one thing, but sampling hiphop records from 4 years ago and reselling them to hipsters is just plain talentless. That nonsense should have stopped back in 96, shortly after it began.

That is some bad bad music, very bad.

Or, you can look at it as a conceptual work that points out the disconnectedness of those who purport themselves as 'most hip'. It all depends on whether you are taking this stuff as literal music, or conceptual art. When i listened to the stuff on the guy's page I couldn't tell what the hell was going on.

Mad Drama Teacher you needs to peep Phil Elvrum's Get off the Internet 7", because you have a bad attitude with all of your negative comments, and beady eyes looking at everything. I am not your enemy, and you are not my government.

Youknowyouknow, I totally agree with what you are saying. 4'33" is a massive work that took a lot of mental effort. Five or six years after Cage originally conceptualized the piece he got up the gumption to present it.

Ako I feel what you're saying. Of course it's lame to just railroad someone else's work and call it your own. I feel like perhaps there is more to this guy's work than the sounds on it though. I could be wrong, but it seems like there is a conceptual something else going on.

• deLYSdeLYS 388 Posts
    it seems like there is a conceptual something else going on.
    Oh there is, but Dr. Mindbender, not John Cage..and a secret society called Cobra-La are all responsible for that concept...

Cobra-

• hobo_dhobo_d 331 Posts
    I hope Roots Manuva is getting money if that fool is releasing any of that shite on his myspace page. sampling old records is one thing, but sampling hiphop records from 4 years ago and reselling them to hipsters is just plain talentless. That nonsense should have stopped back in 96, shortly after it began.

That is some bad bad music, very bad.

that snippet you heard on his myspace page is actually from his newest mix, not a song he is claiming to be his own