coffee afficianadoes

Comments

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    easy. dino's burgers on pico near vermont. its technically in the byzantine latino quarter but its basically the pico-union area, fyi. theres only one thing to get there. the chicken. i think they call it "el pollo maniaco" but just hold your index finger up and that basically means 1 chicken plate. low budget eating in a high culture area. i love pico-union.

DONE.

• WoimsahWoimsah 1,734 Posts
    easy. dino's burgers on pico near vermont. its technically in the byzantine latino quarter but its basically the pico-union area, fyi. theres only one thing to get there. the chicken. i think they call it "el pollo maniaco" but just hold your index finger up and that basically means 1 chicken plate. low budget eating in a high culture area. i love pico-union.

pico-union via massive attack {?!?]

shit my bad....ain't tryin to talk bout burgers in a coffee thread.

• easy. dino's burgers on pico near vermont. its technically in the byzantine latino quarter but its basically the pico-union area, fyi. theres only one thing to get there. the chicken. i think they call it "el pollo maniaco" but just hold your index finger up and that basically means 1 chicken plate. low budget eating in a high culture area. i love pico-union.

pico-union via massive attack {?!?]

shit my bad....ain't tryin to talk bout burgers in a coffee thread.

aint nobody in their right mind goes to dinos for their burgers.

Given that I find the Apple Pan to be grossly overrated, I'll try the chicken plate at Dino's.

BACK TO JAVA

• my office has one of these, and its awesome. The coffee is so good, I drink it without milk or sugar.

• WoimsahWoimsah 1,734 Posts
    people be hating on Starbucks. Understood - but it's the McDonalds of coffee. This was in my old office and kept people working non-stop, and shit was pretty damn good I must admit. It's a Starbucks built single cup brewer. (and it makes hot chocolate too.....yep)

• id just like to address this notion of coffee black. my chef hammie told me something about "super tasters". yeah, supertasters are these folks with really developed palates and they are often employed in food sciences because of their acute senses. supertasters cannot drink things like black coffee or whiskey neat because it is too overpowering and mask the subtle complexities of the beverage in question.

anyways, i thought this was funny in light of the notion that folks who think they have exquisite taste tend to think that coffee black is a more pure experience when in reality they are missing on some of the complex flavors off coffee with a lil milk!

ps
    i dont know if any of this is true but i tend to think so.

• after smoking for about 25 years (still havent had one since December 21) I cant taste anything anyway.

• onetetonetet 1,754 Posts
    id just like to address this notion of coffee black. my chef hammie told me something about "super tasters". yeah, supertasters are these folks with really developed palates and they are often employed in food sciences because of their acute senses. supertasters cannot drink things like black coffee or whiskey neat because it is too overpowering and mask the subtle complexities of the beverage in question.

anyways, i thought this was funny in light of the notion that folks who think they have exquisite taste tend to think that coffee black is a more pure experience when in reality they are missing on some of the complex flavors off coffee with a lil milk!

ps

I suspect these "supertaster" claims are bogus... the only people I've known who claimed to be supertasters were young people who hid their very timid taste in food behind that label... i.e. "I've never tried Thai food because I'm a supertaster and it would be too intense."

• id just like to address this notion of coffee black. my chef hammie told me something about "super tasters". yeah, supertasters are these folks with really developed palates and they are often employed in food sciences because of their acute senses. supertasters cannot drink things like black coffee or whiskey neat because it is too overpowering and mask the subtle complexities of the beverage in question.

ps

I suspect these "supertaster" claims are bogus... the only people I've known who claimed to be supertasters were young people who hid their very timid taste in food behind that label... i.e. "I've never tried Thai food because I'm a supertaster and it would be too intense."

this sounds like hardly enough evidence to draw that conclusion from. but ok. im just relaying info. neither i nor my chef friend are supertasters.

but i am super tasty!

id just like to address this notion of coffee black. my chef hammie told me something about "super tasters". yeah, supertasters are these folks with really developed palates and they are often employed in food sciences because of their acute senses. supertasters cannot drink things like black coffee or whiskey neat because it is too overpowering and mask the subtle complexities of the beverage in question.

ps

this sounds like hardly enough evidence to draw that conclusion from. but ok. im just relaying info. neither i nor my chef friend are supertasters.

but i am super tasty!

i admit it's just anecdotal speculation on my part, and there are studies to be found on the internet backing up the existence of the "supertaster" phenomenon. I'm just saying i'm a skeptic -- and that there's nothing "super" about being scared of curries.

• JustAliceJustAlice 1,308 Posts
    Does anyone else roast their own coffee beans?

I'm pretty sure my mom said she use to roast her own beans in a toaster oven, I'm not sure how really or how long, but I will ask her.

The bar I work at use to stock Stumptown exclusively but stopped when they wouldn't bring us more than 5 lbs at a time. Now we go with The Coffee Courier, this guy roasts his beans at home and bikes them around town to drop off and pick up empty jars. Its nice and always fresh.

I still like stumptown and think it is great, but can't really beat the small batch from the CC. I had the chance to cater a meal with one of stumptowns Grower Events a few years ago where they flew in an entire family from Guatemala . The woman who owned the farm was born into it an fought hard to keep it going. It was really interesting.

I remember drinking Turkish Coffee and getting my cup read when I was about 15 or 16. Ancient Fortune Telling by way of coffee grounds was quite intriguing. It is passed down through generations and of course you take it for what it is...but still....if your into that kind of thing, its pretty cool. And either way, I love some Turkish or Greek Coffee like I love Thai Tea. So Good and So Sweet.

Can someone Hip me to the process of Cold Press Brew?? I don't drink hot coffee, but heard there is this long kind of annoying or hard to master technique of cold press. I usually just brew my coffee the night before and put it in the fridge so its ready for the next day.

I think super-tasting is real - children, for example, tend to have that ability mostly because their taste buds haven't started to die out yet. It's one theory why kids hate veggies - they tend to pick up more of the bitterness in veggies than adults do.

As for drinking coffee black vs. not-black...I tend to take cream and sugar but I figure, if I'm going to try a new bean, I might as well see how it tastes by itself first before changing things up with either a lightener or sweetener.

I think super-tasting is real - children, for example, tend to have that ability mostly because their taste buds haven't started to die out yet. It's one theory why kids hate veggies - they tend to pick up more of the bitterness in veggies than adults do.

that point about the kids definitely makes sense... so is the concept re: supertasting actually just that some adults retain more taste buds into adulthood than others?

• I think super-tasting is real - children, for example, tend to have that ability mostly because their taste buds haven't started to die out yet. It's one theory why kids hate veggies - they tend to pick up more of the bitterness in veggies than adults do.

that point about the kids definitely makes sense... so is the concept re: supertasting actually just that some adults retain more taste buds into adulthood than others?

i believe the concept in question is called "genetics"

• Can someone Hip me to the process of Cold Press Brew?? I don't drink hot coffee, but heard there is this long kind of annoying or hard to master technique of cold press. I usually just brew my coffee the night before and put it in the fridge so its ready for the next day.

While this isn't terribly involved or hard to master, my method for cold coffee is: grind the beans coarsely, wrap them in cheese-cloth, and steep them in coldish water overnight. Then I toss out the beans the next morning, and refrigerate the concentrate. If you grind the beans too fine, you might need to pour the concentrate through a filter. I serve mine with milk and ice and a bit of simple-syrup.

Some people simply have a stronger developed ability to taste. As Shig points out, maybe it's genetics but regardless, the presumption is that "super-tasting" is largely a biological ability as compared to something that's more culturally developed, such as a "refined palette." Flavors are simply more intense for the super-taster and this cuts both ways: sweet things are sweeter but so are bitter things.

Someone using super-tasting as a way to get out of eating Thai food = though. That sounds like a crock o' bull. Sounds more like they don't like spicy food or Thai food in particular.

DONE.

Shig, Dino's was proper though the fries-soaking-up-chicken-grease-and-secret-Greek-sauce definitely made me feel like this was shit was not good for my overall health. That said, the chicken was

• easy. dino's burgers on pico near vermont. its technically in the byzantine latino quarter but its basically the pico-union area, fyi. theres only one thing to get there. the chicken. i think they call it "el pollo maniaco" but just hold your index finger up and that basically means 1 chicken plate. low budget eating in a high culture area. i love pico-union.

DONE.

Shig, Dino's was proper though the fries-soaking-up-chicken-grease-and-secret-Greek-sauce definitely made me feel like this was shit was not good for my overall health. That said, the chicken was

i forgot to tell u theres a beans and rice option that is slightly more healthy feeling. i happen to like the fries in chicken grease thing. but im a fat kid.

i happen to like the fries in chicken grease thing. but im a fat kid.

Oh, don't get me wrong, the appeal was right and exact. Very "lomo saltado"

• slavinslavin 577 Posts
    my office has one of these, and its awesome. The coffee is so good, I drink it without milk or sugar.

nice one! i work at miele (usa hq)

two cups every day. cosi or arpeggio

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts

Why and how would milk bring out any new flavors/taste into coffee? Should I start adding salt to my Guinness to get new flavors?

• Speaking of salt it is a Cuban custom to add a pinch of salt to your steamed milk before adding it to coffee or espresso to draw out the flavor. I tried it and it is delicious. Just make sure you use good sea salt.

I recently bought a relatively inexpensive espresso maker that was highly recommended to me by friends. It boasts 15 bars of pressure, has two separate thermostats for steam wand and extraction, etc. Unfortunately it's not preforming any better then my cheap steam driven unit. Any suggestions on how to get the best extractions? I know that the main variables are beans/grind, time, water, temp, etc. Any tips would be much appreciated. I'm getting really blond fast shots even with turkish grind and substantial tamping.

I'll have to try Philz!

Why and how would milk bring out any new flavors/taste into coffee? Should I start adding salt to my Guinness to get new flavors?

I think the thinking is that by balancing out the flavors a bit, you can actually taste more of the coffee. It may sound counter-intuitive but it actually makes sense (kind of).

• Can someone Hip me to the process of Cold Press Brew?? I don't drink hot coffee, but heard there is this long kind of annoying or hard to master technique of cold press. I usually just brew my coffee the night before and put it in the fridge so its ready for the next day.

While this isn't terribly involved or hard to master, my method for cold coffee is: grind the beans coarsely, wrap them in cheese-cloth, and steep them in coldish water overnight. Then I toss out the beans the next morning, and refrigerate the concentrate. If you grind the beans too fine, you might need to pour the concentrate through a filter. I serve mine with milk and ice and a bit of simple-syrup.

I have made iced coffee concentrate this same way. I find that pouring a mixture of half 2% milk and half concentrate over ice is delicious and plenty sweet without adding sugar, although thats probably a question of personal taste. The few times that I have forgotten and soaked the coffee grounds for more than 24 hours the results have been unpleasantly bitter.

• waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts

Some people simply have a stronger developed ability to taste. As Shig points out, maybe it's genetics but regardless, the presumption is that "super-tasting" is largely a biological ability as compared to something that's more culturally developed, such as a "refined palette." Flavors are simply more intense for the super-taster and this cuts both ways: sweet things are sweeter but so are bitter things.

Someone using super-tasting as a way to get out of eating Thai food = though. That sounds like a crock o' bull. Sounds more like they don't like spicy food or Thai food in particular.

Super-tasters have more taste buds than the average person, and they also tend to be women. In terms of taste bud development, "sweet" is the first taste to develop, with "sour," "salty," and "bitter" following. In recent years, "umami" has been added as the fifth taste.

I think kids don't like veggies because they're geared towards preferences for sweet foods. Since y'all had already moved on to burgers...

• does anyone know anything about or has anyone tasted coffee from this little guy

lapavoni europiccola ... i've been interested in getting one, but obviously very expensive and might be a big pain in the ass. apparently the design hasnt changed at all since the 50s so its a real old style of making italian coffee.

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts
    this thread triggered my need for a cappacino. As far as adding to this thread. When my latest espresso machine dies I'm bucking up for a nice machine. Nothing too crazy though.

The spot I'm at (Funnel Mill in Santa Monica) has the rat shit coffee. $65 for a single syphon pot.

Should I bite?

• The spot I'm at (Funnel Mill in Santa Monica) has the rat shit coffee. $65 for a single syphon pot.

Should I bite?

Where is that?

I decided to join SMC's graphic design program that started this week. Ironically, I decided not to drink any coffee for school. I did good but this morning I made a cup and I feel horrible. (physically)

I love coffee so much but I have to cut myself off. I'm an addict. I can't have just one cup.

I'm also looking for healthy lunch spots. I'm not accustomed to this Santa Monica place. Not enough helicopters & sirens.