EDWARDS OUT

faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
edited January 2008 in Strut Central
Edwards to Drop Out of Democratic Race[/b] By JULIE BOSMAN and JEFF ZELENYPublished: January 30, 2008NEW ORLEANS ??? John Edwards, the progressive Democratic candidate who made his populist, anti-poverty message a centerpiece of his campaign, has decided to drop out of the presidential primary race, and is to give a speech this afternoon at the same place where he began his campaign ??? in New Orleans.this season, Mr. Edwards has not been able to break through the dueling high-profile candidacies of Senators Hillary Rodham Clinton and Barack Obama. And he had not been able to raise the kind of money that those two had early on. Top advisers said that Mr. Edwards would not be endorsing another candidate today when he makes his announcement at 1 p.m. On Tuesday, Mr. Edwards canceled events in Alabama and North Dakota, opting instead to fly to New Orleans late Tuesday night. His press aides told reporters that he would make a ???major policy speech??? on poverty, in the city where Mr. Edwards announced his candidacy in December 2006.Mr. Edwards placed a distant third Tuesday night in Florida???s primary. And even more disappointing, as a native of South Carolina, he finished in the mid-teens there, as Mr. Obama won overwhelmingly. Mr. Edwards had campaigned heavily in Iowa for months and months, fine-tuning a populist message and issuing many proposals, including one on health care, long before his rivals issued theirs. In the caucuses, he finished second, but just about a percentage point ahead of Mrs. Clinton.Despite never having captured a first-place finish, Mr. Edwards had insisted that his campaign would carry on ???to the convention.??? And as the primary season headed toward Super Tuesday, and several of the big Southern states, Mr. Edwards was expected to draw a swath of white voters his way. Indeed, Mr. Edwards was poised to collect enough delegates in early nominating contests to potentially influence the outcome at the Democratic nominating convention in August, if neither Mrs. Clinton nor Mr. Obama won enough delegates to clinch the nomination.But Mr. Edwards began notifying close advisers and longtime supporters about his decision to drop out of the race early today. It was a decision rooted simply in the political reality of the challenges he faced in the 22 states holding contests on Feb. 5, according to people familiar with the decision, and had nothing to do with the health of his wife, Elizabeth Edwards, who has been battling cancer.Mrs. Edwards and the couple???s two young children were traveling to New Orleans to be on hand for his speech this afternoon.For days, the question of whether he would stay in the race was an off-limits topic of conversation among those in his inner circle, but several major contributors began growing antsy, with some eager to begin lining up with either Barack Obama or Hillary Rodham Clinton.In the days leading up to the South Carolina primary, chatter among contributors intensified, but Mr. Edwards and his advisers worked to tamp down the speculation. His third-place finish, though, essentially sealed the decision and several contributors began raising concern that he was acting as a spoiler, not a kingmaker in the race.His decision to drop out of the race has set off a furious ??? and delicate ??? scramble from Mrs. Clinton and Mr. Obama. Both of the candidates have talked to Mr. Edwards in recent days, advisers said, and both were treading lightly until he made his formal announcement.Julie Bosman reported from New Orleans and Jeff Zeleny reported from Denver. Anahad O???Connor contributed from New York.

Comments

• and so is rudy. edwards will probably donate all his remaining campaign money to charity. rudy, on the other hand...

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
    edwards will probably donate all his remaining campaign money to charity.

maybe he should put it towards researching the link between cancer and taking fertility drugs when you're 50.

• and so is rudy. edwards will probably donate all his remaining campaign money to charity. rudy, on the other hand...

I couldn't be happier to see Giuliani fail. I cannot stand that motherf*cker.

• salviasalvia 279 Posts
    and so is rudy. edwards will probably donate all his remaining campaign money to charity. rudy, on the other hand...

Yeah, me too.
    He was practically broke anyway after spending big in Florida but the money he has left will either go to the NY GOP or to a future federal campaign.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts

maybe he should put it towards researching the link between cancer and taking fertility drugs when you're 50.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2002/01/020128080317.htm

• He was practically broke anyway after spending big in Florida but the money he has left will either go to the NY GOP or to a future federal campaign.

where do you get that from? certain states have laws covering excess contributions but i'm not aware of any restrictions on presidential election funds. he's pocketing that money.

• salviasalvia 279 Posts

He was practically broke anyway after spending big in Florida but the money he has left will either go to the NY GOP or to a future federal campaign.

where do you get that from? certain states have laws covering excess contributions but i'm not aware of any restrictions on presidential election funds. he's pocketing that money.

Oh, i'm not sure then. I know Ron Paul (Texas) can't keep the money himself according to FEC laws, but it might be different for Rudy.

Its breast cancer, and there may be links between some drugs like Pergonal and breast cancer.

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    Mr. Edwards had campaigned heavily in Iowa for months and months

and months[/b]!!!

• edwards will probably donate all his remaining campaign money to charity.

are you letting your fanatical right wing hatred of Edwards translate into cold disregard for his wife who's STRICKEN WITH A TERMINAL ILLNESS?

you're an asshole.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts

are you letting your fanatical right wing hatred of Edwards translate into cold disregard for his wife who's STRICKEN WITH A TERMINAL ILLNESS?

you're an asshole.

he's coming off as slightly sane over in the mccain thread. i think it's too much for him. i think that's about as low as you can go peter. nice work.

i feel worse about the fact that she got stuck married to a self-serving, egotistical, and vane empty suit parading as a man, then the fact that she is ill. I'm sure all his phony law suits, where he told juries that he could hear the voices of the dead children talking to him, earned enough money to pay for the very best health care America has to offer.

my brain is actually able to conceptualized feeling sorry for a victim while at the very same time placing blame and feeling revulsion for the cause of the victim's injury.

maybe if you try crossword puzles you can work your brain up to it.

• That's a bummer because he was the only one talking about poverty and the wealth disparity in this country, and the power of corporations. As long as he was in the race, there was a chance we'd hear about these topics.

Dude never got ANY attention with those other two getting all the shine.

Sheeeit.

he was the only one talking about poverty and the wealth disparity in this country

• novasolnovasol 204 Posts
    Any thought that this could be a possible lead up to his VP (vice pres.) bid?

By bowing out early and gracefully, avoiding any bad blood, ensures a better chance of a partnership.

• my brain is actually able to conceptualized feeling sorry

try crossword puzles

^^^ right; maybe one day I'll be at this level of intellect; can't wait ^^^

• Any thought that this could be a possible lead up to his VP (vice pres.) bid?

By bowing out early and gracefully, avoiding any bad blood, ensures a better chance of a partnership.

Only if he's trying to be Obama's VP -- due to the timing.

• I'm sure all his phony law suits, where he told juries that he could hear the voices of the dead children talking to him, earned enough money to pay for the very best health care America has to offer.

phony lawsuits? your showing your ignorance here. take it from someone who has litigated med mal and high value PI cases, we have to invest a ton of money in these cases (experts alone can cost hundreds of thousands of dollars) and bringing a "phony" cases is not how Edwards made so much money. he was a great trial lawyer. unethical PI lawyers make money on small time cases where they don't have to invest any money and can pressure the insurance companies to settle for small amounts rather than spend the same money on litigation. Edwards was doing big time cases.

Lets all shed a tear for the insurance companies who took advantage of his low income clients by not offering to adequately compensate the people who were injured and then got their asses handed to them in court.

• Lets all shed a tear for the insurance companies who took advantage of his low income clients by not offering to adequately compensate the people who were injured and then got their asses handed to them in court.

saying. I love the conservative's crocodile tears for the "victims" of Edwards' supposedly predatory litigation...

• Any thought that this could be a possible lead up to his VP (vice pres.) bid?

Only if he's trying to be Obama's VP -- due to the timing.

Possibly, although the fact that he hasn't announced his endorsement of either candidate makes me wonder. Probably just waiting to see who takes the lead, and then he'll make a move.

Both of the candidates have talked to Mr. Edwards in recent days, advisers said, and both were treading lightly until he made his formal announcement.

I'm sure all his phony law suits, where he told juries that he could hear the voices of the dead children talking to him, earned enough money to pay for the very best health care America has to offer.

phony lawsuits? your showing your ignorance here. take it from someone who has litigated med mal and high value PI cases, we have to invest a ton of money in these cases (experts alone can cost hundreds of thousands of dollars) and bringing a "phony" cases is not how Edwards made so much money. he was a great trial lawyer. unethical PI lawyers make money on small time cases where they don't have to invest any money and can pressure the insurance companies to settle for small amounts rather than spend the same money on litigation. Edwards was doing big time cases.

Lets all shed a tear for the insurance companies who took advantage of his low income clients by not offering to adequately compensate the people who were injured and then got their asses handed to them in court.

come on KVH, you know where I work. And you know, that I know how this game is played against Big Pharma and the medical products industry and a hundred thousand dollar expert is nothing-but-a-thing when you're looking at 9 figure settlements as soon as the class is certified.

saying. I love the conservative's crocodile tears for the "victims" of Edwards' supposedly predatory litigation...

You chump. you really think the low income clients were what he was interested in. The trial lawyer gins up the case, finds the class plaintiffs, and then keeps most of the money.

• Lets all shed a tear for the insurance companies who took advantage of his low income clients by not offering to adequately compensate the people who were injured and then got their asses handed to them in court.

You chump. you really think the low income clients were what he was interested in. The trial lawyer gins up the case, finds the class plaintiffs, and then keeps most of the money.

...uh OK dude and were the high-priced plaintiff's lawyer not adequately incentivized to bring suits, then the poor chump in a coma never gets shit. so, like, I don't need the lawyer to be pure of heart. but it's nonetheless just that these suits are brought. when did I ever say that "the low income clients were what he was interested in"? and why does that matter?

• phongonephongone 1,652 Posts
    and so is rudy. edwards will probably donate all his remaining campaign money to charity. rudy, on the other hand...

What's the general consensus among New Yorkers on Giuliani? I thought he was well liked (at least by white folks) there, post-911 rhetoric aside.

What's the general consensus among New Yorkers on Giuliani? I thought he was well liked (at least by white folks) there, post-911 rhetoric aside.

never learned that sometimes you have to leave the friends from the old neighborhood behind.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    Remember: Trial lawyers are pure evil and represent everything that is wrong with this country...until you need one. (See: Bork, Robert)

Remember: Trial lawyers are pure evil and represent everything that is wrong with this country...until you need one. (See: Bork, Robert)

or become one.

...uh OK dude and were the high-priced plaintiff's lawyer not adequately incentivized to bring suits, then the poor chump in a coma never gets shit. so, like, I don't need the lawyer to be pure of heart. but it's nonetheless just that these suits are brought. when did I ever say that "the low income clients were what he was interested in"? and why does that matter?

the incentive is that you make the cost of going to trial higher than the cost of settlement. litigation hurts stock prices and interferes with corporate merger plans; juries are notoriously unpredictable; discovery may reveal other matters the corporation doesn't want revealed. its a game.

• discovery may reveal other matters the corporation doesn't want revealed.

heaven forbid.

discovery may reveal other matters the corporation doesn't want revealed.

heaven forbid.

like the secret to the Colonel Sanders sauceless hot wing.