EDWARDS OUT

Comments

• Lets all shed a tear for the insurance companies who took advantage of his low income clients by not offering to adequately compensate the people who were injured and then got their asses handed to them in court.

saying. I love the conservative's crocodile tears for the "victims" of Edwards' supposedly predatory litigation...

You chump. you really think the low income clients were what he was interested in. The trial lawyer gins up the case, finds the class plaintiffs, and then keeps most of the money.

...uh OK dude and were the high-priced plaintiff's lawyer not adequately incentivized to bring suits, then the poor chump in a coma never gets shit. so, like, I don't need the lawyer to be pure of heart. but it's nonetheless just that these suits are brought. when did I ever say that "the low income clients were what he was interested in"? and why does that matter?

the incentive is that you make the cost of going to trial higher than the cost of settlement. litigation hurts stock prices and interferes with corporate merger plans; juries are notoriously unpredictable; discovery may reveal other matters the corporation doesn't want revealed. its a game.

Since when was Edwards a class action lawyer for products liability cases? He did PI and Med Mal. Everything you are saying does not make any sense. Good luck on the bar exam.

• UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts
    I think its interesting how incredulous many Republicans are when really wealthy people express a desire to help the poor and better the country. Edwards and Soros are like public enemy number one, because they simply must have an ulterior motive; they cant possibly actually care!

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    discovery may reveal other matters the corporation doesn't want revealed.

heaven forbid.

like the secret to the Colonel Sanders sauceless hot wing.

Well, Futurama already revealed the Colonel's secret recipe:

*Chicken
    *Grease
    *Salt

• phongonephongone 1,652 Posts
    Remember: Trial lawyers are pure evil and represent everything that is wrong with this country...until you need one. (See: Bork, Robert)

You're naive.

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts

Since when was Edwards a class action lawyer for products liability cases? He did PI and Med Mal. Everything you are saying does not make any sense. Good luck on the bar exam.

oh yeah. whata ya know. well, he's still a creep.

I must have been confusing him with the guys i work with.

• Since when was Edwards a class action lawyer for products liability cases? He did PI and Med Mal. Everything you are saying does not make any sense. Good luck on the bar exam.

WORK-RELATED PERSONAL VENDETTA REVEALED.

• Since when was Edwards a class action lawyer for products liability cases? He did PI and Med Mal. Everything you are saying does not make any sense. Good luck on the bar exam.

WORK-RELATED PERSONAL VENDETTA REVEALED.

exactly. And saba, if you would have known he was a PI lawyer, you could have busted out the chaser

Not specifically referring to you KVH, but dudes use the phrase "personal injury attorney" to refer to Edwards like he's petty, low-life car accident attorney. Edwards recovered $25 million for a little girl who got her ass sucked out (literally) by a defective jacuzzi or pool vent. That's not a bad thing.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    Bringing up car accidents and lawyers.

Someone needs to goto Spain and kick someones ass right about now.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/WORLD/europe/01/30/spain.luxury.car/index.html?eref=rss_topstories

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    One of the most insightful things I've ever read about lawyers came from our very own KVH when he proclaimed...

"i don't know many lawyers that can afford their own hourly rates" [/b]

• Not specifically referring to you KVH, but dudes use the phrase "personal injury attorney" to refer to Edwards like he's petty, low-life car accident attorney. Edwards recovered $25 million for a little girl who got her ass sucked out (literally) by a defective jacuzzi or pool vent. That's not a bad thing.

i'm not giving it a negative connotation and i already distinguished what he does from the stereotypical ambulance chaser.

and to rock, what is your point?? the work edwards did was all on contingency. his clients paid him nothing. if you are anti-litigation, you should be happy to know that it costs an ass load of money to take a case to trial, which is consequently a huge deterrent to the over used and seldom appropriate cases of "frivolous litigation".

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    Not specifically referring to you KVH, but dudes use the phrase "personal injury attorney" to refer to Edwards like he's petty, low-life car accident attorney. Edwards recovered $25 million for a little girl who got her ass sucked out (literally) by a defective jacuzzi or pool vent. That's not a bad thing.

You just described a PI case, dude.

and to rock, what is your point??

Well according to what you have written here only two types of people can afford a lawyer.....very rich people.......... or people who have a case that a lawyer feels will put millions in their pockets that they take on contingency.

Unless you're wrong, that's fucked.

No shit, my point is people attempt to disparage him by calling him a PI lawyer when he's done some good work and won some high profile cases.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

No shit, my point is people attempt to disparage him by calling him a PI lawyer when he's done some good work and won some high profile cases.

He is a PI lawyer.

You think only the ones that bring meritless or small cases are called that?

• and to rock, what is your point??

Well according to what you have written here only two types of people can afford a lawyer.....very rich people.......... or people who have a case that a lawyer feels will put millions in their pockets that they take on contingency.

comeon dude, only 2 types of cases have been discussed.

edwards was at the top of the game, so i'm speculating that he did not take small cases. i'll make an educated guess though that 90% of PI firms work in the opposite way. They deal in volume, with each lawyer handling hundreds of cases at a time, most of which have relatively low value (5-50 k). A majority of these cases never reach court (like well over 90%). They either get settled or taken to arbitration.

the same goes for various other sort of lawsuits, including employment discrimination. some firms get the cream of the crop, and others concentrate on volume. as you might imagine, the better lawyers are handling the high value cases though, so i'm not discounting the fact that lower money cases are going to generally get less attention and lower end lawyers. its not always the case though, there are plenty of great lawyers handling small matters.

and to rock, what is your point??

comeon dude, only 2 types of cases have been discussed.

edwards was at the top of the game, so i'm speculating that he did not take small cases. i'll make an educated guess though that 90% of PI firms work in the opposite way. They deal in volume, with each lawyer handling hundreds of cases at a time, most of which have relatively low value (5-50 k). A majority of these cases never reach court (like well over 90%). They either get settled or taken to arbitration.

the same goes for various other sort of lawsuits, including employment discrimination. some firms get the cream of the crop, and others concentrate on volume. as you might imagine, the better lawyers are handling the high value cases though, so i'm not discounting the fact that lower money cases are going to generally get less attention and lower end lawyers. its not always the case though, there are plenty of great lawyers handling small matters.

Fair enough....so who are the lawyers that YOU know and stated that they can't afford their own rates representing??

He is a PI lawyer.

You think only the ones that bring meritless or small cases are called that?

Personal injury work generally has a negative connotation to the masses (for whatever reason), and you know this. That is my point. If you asked Edwards about his legal practice, I'm sure he would refer to himself as trial attorney, consumer attorney, or plaintiff's attorney -- not a PI attorney. And he'd probably call the aforementioned case a "catostrophic injury" case -- not a pi case.

• Fair enough....so who are the lawyers that YOU know and stated that they can't afford their own rates representing??

if you have a great case as a plaintiff, there are plenty of lawyers who will take it on contingency, and as i said before, the value doesn't have to be in the millions or even six figures.

the situation you described will only become an issue if i/you/whoever gets sued and has to spend money on their own civil defense[/b]. even in these situations, there are government funded legal service groups that will provide free services to those who can't afford a defense.

if its a criminal defense, despite the stereotype, public defenders are usually much, much better than your typical low end criminal defense lawyer.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts

Lets all shed a tear for the insurance companies who took advantage of his low income clients by not offering to adequately compensate the people who were injured and then got their asses handed to them in court.

saying. I love the conservative's crocodile tears for the "victims" of Edwards' supposedly predatory litigation...

You chump. you really think the low income clients were what he was interested in. The trial lawyer gins up the case, finds the class plaintiffs, and then keeps most of the money.

...uh OK dude and were the high-priced plaintiff's lawyer not adequately incentivized to bring suits, then the poor chump in a coma never gets shit. so, like, I don't need the lawyer to be pure of heart. but it's nonetheless just that these suits are brought. when did I ever say that "the low income clients were what he was interested in"? and why does that matter?

the incentive is that you make the cost of going to trial higher than the cost of settlement. litigation hurts stock prices and interferes with corporate merger plans; juries are notoriously unpredictable; discovery may reveal other matters the corporation doesn't want revealed. its a game.

It's a game to bury studies that show the harms of certain drugs? Covering up malpractice? Keeping products on the market after they have been proven to be dangerous?

Fun games the people you admire play. Playing with peoples lives to make

This thread sucks. Let's talk about the political impact Edwards withdrawal will have on the election. All those delegates are up for grabs.

• This thread sucks. Let's talk about the political impact Edwards withdrawal will have on the election. All those delegates are up for grabs.

I've read that big-name endorsements have more of an effect on delegates than on citizens. Obama is pulling a lot of big DNC names, which would, theoretically, shield delegates from a Clinton backlash (again, just a theory I read somewhere).

The timing seems to really be favoring Obama in every single way regarding Super Tuesday -- one of the reasons Hillary starting running her mouth about Florida: slow his momentum.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    he was the only one talking about poverty and the wealth disparity in this country

the irony meter is better used for the fact that his stump speeches consistently contradicted his actual voting record, which all his dailkos blognerd fans somehow managed not to notice.

• he was the only one talking about poverty and the wealth disparity in this country

the irony meter is better used for the fact that his stump speeches consistently contradicted his actual voting record, which all his dailkos blognerd fans somehow managed not to notice.

plaese to cite some examples of this theory.

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    What I've learned from this thread is that irony is apparently measured in VUs.

Who knew?

• he was the only one talking about poverty and the wealth disparity in this country

I want to hear this too.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    he was the only one talking about poverty and the wealth disparity in this country

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/01/25/feingold-rips-edwards-aga_n_83225.html

"I don't understand how somebody could vote, five or six critical votes, one way in the Senate and then make your campaign the opposite positions," Feingold said, expanding on comments he made a week ago to the Appleton (Wisconsin) Post-Crescent. "That doesn't give me confidence that if the person became president that they would continue the kind of policies that they are using in the Democratic primary. I'm more likely to believe what they did in the Senate."

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Edwards was the one saying most of the things I wanted to
    hear, but I also was not really buying into sincerity or his
    electability*. Not to say he was insincere in his ideas, but I
    think he knew he was offering more than he could hope to accomplish.

* although, if the party were behind him I think he could be a
    strong candidate. He just seemed so third place before we even started.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/01/25/feingold-rips-edwards-aga_n_83225.html

"I don't understand how somebody could vote, five or six critical votes, one way in the Senate and then make your campaign the opposite positions," Feingold said, expanding on comments he made a week ago to the Appleton (Wisconsin) Post-Crescent. "That doesn't give me confidence that if the person became president that they would continue the kind of policies that they are using in the Democratic primary. I'm more likely to believe what they did in the Senate."

"You have to consider what the audience is, and obviously these are very popular positions to take when you are in a primary where you are trying to get the progressive vote. But wait a minute -- there were opportunities to vote against the bankruptcy bill, there was an opportunity to vote against the China [trade] deal. Those are the moments where you sort of find out where somebody is. So I think, people are being taken in a little bit that now he is taking these positions."

The above hardly passes for solid evidence that Edwards is a crooked as he claims.

Can anyone elaborate on the "bankruptcy bill" or the "China (trade) deal"?

These seem pretty generalized and unsubstantial.

Feingold, who was briefly considered a possible presidential nominee

Sounds salty.

He forged landmark campaign finance legislation with Sen. John McCain

Sounds fishy.

• I'm loving how deej critiques dailykos readers...and offers as proof a huffpo post.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    I'm loving how deej critiques dailykos readers...and offers as proof a huffpo post.
    its a huffpo interview u dork