How much do you hate Anticon?

Comments

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    And thus why I never crossed paths with Soulstrut's younger Bay contingent: Y'all were cutting your baby teeth at Anticon parties.

While I met both Sole and Dose in person over at Kirby's crib...I never liked their music nor cared to ever frequent one of their events...ever.

• And thus why I never crossed paths with Soulstrut's younger Bay contingent: Y'all were cutting your baby teeth at Anticon parties PLAYING RAP MUSIC DOWNSTAIRS FOR GIRLS WHILE I WAS AT 1015 FOLSOM GETTING MY Frickin' RAVE ON

• But i'm sure this is much "whiter" than dudes fascination with Queen and German Industrial Coil or whatever...

FAVORING THE OFF BEAT RAMBLINGS OF FAT GUYS WITH BEARDS SCOTCH TAPED TO THEIR FACE TO THE CONTRIBUTIONS OF ACTUAL TRUE TO LIFE IMPORTANT MUSICIANS IS IN FACT, THE MOST WHITEST.

And thus why I never crossed paths with Soulstrut's younger Bay contingent: Y'all were cutting your baby teeth at Anticon parties PLAYING RAP MUSIC DOWNSTAIRS FOR GIRLS WHILE I WAS AT 1015 FOLSOM GETTING MY Frickin' RAVE ON

I went there a total of once...and only because PEACE was scheduled to be there. I went with 2 very hot women, a former Cal Bears wide receiver, and a a big thermos of mushroom tea. And yes, when Myka 9 showed up along with PEACE, he spent his first hour of being there bitching and moaning about how entirely wack Rico's was. TRUE STORY!

• and yo this is going to blow your mind Rashied:

I was PEACE's deejay at show in S.F. at the old storyville spot. I remember even playing the Common's Resurrection Remix instrumental and the Clipse's Grindin' for him as he freestyled.

• And thus why I never crossed paths with Soulstrut's younger Bay contingent: Y'all were cutting your baby teeth at Anticon parties PLAYING RAP MUSIC DOWNSTAIRS FOR GIRLS WHILE I WAS AT 1015 FOLSOM GETTING MY Frickin' RAVE ON

oh man this is awesome. hearing 1015 folsom is like a blast from the past! i was never ballin enough for that spot.

I went there a total of once...and only because PEACE was scheduled to be there. I went with 2 very hot women, a former Cal Bears wide receiver, and a a big thermos of mushroom tea. And yes, when Myka 9 showed up along with PEACE, he spent his first hour of being there bitching and moaning about how entirely wack Rico's was. TRUE STORY!

MUSHROOM TEA BROOOOO! Perfect when combining the highs of sniffing vapor rub while tripping the light fantastic.

• I went with 2 very hot women, a former Cal Bears wide receiver, and a a big thermos of mushroom tea.

I love this line. It sounds like those are the descriptions of the two very hot women.

and yo this is going to blow your mind Rashied:

I was PEACE's deejay at show in S.F. at the old storyville spot. I remember even playing the Common's Resurrection Remix instrumental and the Clipse's Grindin' for him as he freestyled.

Well, I can cosign Storyville as a tight spot. And I can with a straight face tell you that I think it's cool that you dj'ed for PEACE. Still doesn't make me like Anticon though.

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    I never heard of them until I came to SS.

So i dont have any hatt for a group i dont know.

And thus why I never crossed paths with Soulstrut's younger Bay contingent: Y'all were cutting your baby teeth at Anticon parties PLAYING RAP MUSIC DOWNSTAIRS FOR GIRLS WHILE I WAS AT 1015 FOLSOM GETTING MY Frickin' RAVE ON

MUSHROOM TEA BROOOOO! Perfect when combining the highs of sniffing vapor rub while tripping the light fantastic.

Not up on the vapor rub, but best believe I was drinking mushroom tea back when you were still wearing Garanimals.

And it still never made me like Anticon.

• nobody is trying to get you to like Anticon. It just makes you sound jaded to be arguing over this now.

I'll agree with you that not all of the music is great, but please, since you have yet to answer this question...

why does it make you so boiling mad?

Well, I can cosign Storyville as a tight spot. And I can with a straight face tell you that I think it's cool that you dj'ed for PEACE. Still doesn't make me like Anticon though.

I could care less what you like, but I'm just reminiscing with Controller 7 and 'em. And showing folks I'm not a two-face bitch when being down with those dudes years back and then when the kitchen gets hot not say shit and /or hate on them

to quote your term:

that would be some

• and why does it make any of us garanimal wearing know-nots (blowed reference..2 points).

nobody is trying to get you to like Anticon. It just makes you sound jaded to be arguing over this now.

I'll agree with you that not all of the music is great, but please, since you have yet to answer this question...

BOILING BAD MUSIC BEGETS BOILING MAD POASTS.

• nobody is trying to get you to like Anticon. It just makes you sound jaded to be arguing over this now.

BOILING BAD MUSIC BEGETS BOILING MAD POASTS.

PASS THE MIC, SON.

• magneticmagnetic 2,678 Posts

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    I have no great love for anticon, but how are they any more pretentious, niche or marginal than Project Blowed?

• BOILING BAD MUSIC BEGETS BOILING MAD POASTS.

ok, cool. That made me laugh.

• I'D RATHER BE HANGING OFF BANISTERS
    SLANGING CANNISTERS
    AT ALL THESE HARDCORE WANNABE CANNIBAL HANNIBAL LECTORS
    WHOSE LECTURES ARE GETTING PLAYED OUT LIKE THEY WERE GARANIMALS

I have no great love for anticon, but how are they any more pretentious, niche or marginal than Project Blowed?

Easy answer: Nobody from Anticon ever got signed to Rap-A-Lot.

• I have no great love for anticon, but how are they any more pretentious, niche or marginal than Project Blowed?

Easy answer: Nobody from Anticon ever got signed to Rap-A-Lot.

Whatever. You didn't know they're bringing Blac Monks back out w/ the new addition: the Bomarr Monk?

HI-YOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

• Harvey, I didn't mean to get into all of this with you. I'm just trying to figure out why you harbor such resentment. I would never suggest that you listen to Anticon. Knowing your interests i would probably say "naw, that's probably not your kind of stuff."

You'll also never catch me saying that any of that stuff is game changing, shitting on..., or anything like that. I'm not against you. Just confused by the bitterness.

if anything, someone got a great location out of this discussion.

I WAS THERE.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    I may not stand whole-heartedly behind all of the music, but I'll still stand behind my beats.

You should--they were good beats. I remember getting sent that Deep Puddle Dynamics 12" and pretty much rolling my eyes through it except for the remix beat you did.

Also, I DJed for P.E.A.C.E. a whole bunch of times, though it wasn't always by design. He would come through to my weekly a lot and just grab the mic and get busy.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

But i'm sure this is much "whiter" than dudes fascination with Queen and German Industrial Coil or whatever...

-----

Harvey, I didn't mean to get into all of this with you. I'm just trying to figure out why you harbor such resentment. I would never suggest that you listen to Anticon. Knowing your interests i would probably say "naw, that's probably not your kind of stuff."

You'll also never catch me saying that any of that stuff is game changing, shitting on..., or anything like that. I'm not against you. Just confused by the bitterness.

Yeah, dude...I'm just messing around for the most part. I mean, I do hate Anticon...but who cares? You of course should always be proud of your work. I just thought it would be fun to release a tsunami of hate today, as I've been spending too much time lately trying not to do just that.

• theory9theory9 1,128 Posts
    Harvey, I didn't mean to get into all of this with you. I'm just trying to figure out why you harbor such resentment. I would never suggest that you listen to Anticon. Knowing your interests i would probably say "naw, that's probably not your kind of stuff."

Yeah, dude...I'm just messing around for the most part. I mean, I do hate Anticon...but who cares? You of course should always be proud of your work. I just thought it would be fun to release a tsunami of hate today, as I've been spending too much time lately trying not to do just that.[/b]

• kubkub 46 Posts
    that darcmind album is pretty awful

haha you do realize that all this darc mind material was made during the mid 90s and that these artists had nothing to do with anticon, other than that anticon released their until then unreleased LP. they were signed on LOUD.
    and since i'm addressing this, here's a funnny anecdote.
    i was at my local record shop and the clerk is always jocking everything that is progressive. progressive indie this and that yadda yadda yadda. " hey this doesn't sound "different" so i will hate it right away, i hate boom bap it's boring...." that kinda dude.
    so i thought to myself, this darc mind lp is gonna drop on anticon, and just because of that dude is gonna like it nomatter what, hey it's anticon after all isn't it...
    end of story: monday i was at the store a dude was trying to hype that lp to me like there was no tomorrow. when told him that this stuff he's liking soo much IS mid 90s
    ny indie and has that boom bap feel to it, money got kinda pale and for once shut the fuck up about progressive hip hop and it's dopeness.

so for me that kinda explains why i hate anticon and that scene around it that much.all these "fans" pretend to be liking the music that drops on that label. all these dudes "really feel" the music...hold up..here it comes....just because that garbage is trying so hard to be different and new and never heard before. try too hard and your music is gonna suck.
    instead of trying to be known for being innovative (which they are not) and different from the rest of the music scene, try to have some dope music coming out.

thanks

rant over

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    sorry, but that anecdote was not entertaining.