THE BEST RECORD OF THE YEAR CAME OUT TODAY

Comments

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    u missed it earlier in the thread, my cred comes from listening to steve silk hurley in grant park back in '04

jk

• Just to play devils advocate-
    What about people who are old, know their shit, but yet, still don't like something that has been deemed "the truth" by "the authorities on said music".

Is their taste and brain fu**ed up? Or is it fair to say their tastes would be more discriminating the more they are educated about a certain genre.

I'm not being sarcastic or facetious, don't get me wrong, I agree with most of the stuff that's been said but everyone should have the right to like or dislike regardless of how informed they are on the topic. I know a hell of alot about peruvian cooking but don't like every saltado I taste. I was NOT impressed by Boscoe and never like Tupac. And on that same note we should never like something solely because it's rare. It's just music for chrissake.

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts

i didnt mean that funk nights were like that; my reasoning for not going out to dance to funk 45s is a musical preference, plain and simple.

No doubt. I was reading a bit too much into what you posted. I'm sensitive when it comes to funk.

and im turning 25 in a couple months dude.

Yes, but what is that in noz years?

I'm joking of course. I know better than to question your club cred.

^^^^ WORST 3000TH POST EVAR[/b]!!!

• DeeRockDeeRock 1,836 Posts
    Oh I totally agree it's up to us individually to choose what we like to listen to. I have never liked Tupac. I thought he was so so over rated.

• Oh I totally agree it's up to us individually to choose what we like to listen to. I have never liked Tupac. I thought he was so so over rated.

When we were in Perth we saw these african dudes roll up in full body bodysuits with all over prints of tupac (chest out) in neon orange. We were like wtf? Africa is holdin' Pac down.

btw - Dee that last joint you dropped was

• Oh I totally agree it's up to us individually to choose what we like to listen to. I have never liked Tupac. I thought he was so so over rated.

Wrong! Admit it, The Don Killuminati: The 7 Day Theory is the Sgt. Pepper's of your generation!

you are not alone

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    im gonna start making some Pac disco edits just for you dudes

• HAHAHA

My Lonely eyes (disco 12") reedit by Deej[/b]

Monster rare holy grail that is seldom seen here on Earth, a storming disco uptempo stepper re-edit that barely saw a release when it originally dropped. Don't let this chance pass you up! You'll regret not buying this brilliant blend of handsom hi-hats and nefarious kicks, accented with a pounding italo synthy circus-circus bassline that rumbles the nards of all grippers on the floor, only to be topped by one of the top vocal performances of our time. A+++ absolutely recomended.

bid with confidence.

Starting bid 7000 Sterling.

• HA

AWESOME

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts

Danny Krivit

One of my most favoritest nights ever.

• dayday 9,612 Posts
    HAHAHA

My Lonely eyes (disco 12") reedit by Deej[/b]

Monster rare holy grail that is seldom seen here on Earth, a storming disco uptempo stepper re-edit that barely saw a release when it originally dropped. Don't let this chance pass you up! You'll regret not buying this brilliant blend of handsom hi-hats and nefarious kicks, accented with a pounding italo synthy circus-circus bassline that rumbles the nards of all grippers on the floor, only to be topped by one of the top vocal performances of our time. A+++ absolutely recomended.

bid with confidence.

Starting bid 7000 Sterling.

• BaptBapt 2,503 Posts
    ... just want to chime in here becuase like phill says "Real headz know the deal" and that's the bottom line. Who gives a shit if bapt doesn't like disco? He probably doesn't get it but that's fine because the ones that do, do. To each their own...

So what? Do you mean that next time if I don't like anything that is posted here I should not give my opinion and shut my mouth and click on another thread that talks about sample based music...

Man, I came here with a question that no one seem to answer in a 3 pager.
    You can keep your "probably" because I get it, I'm somewhere like Thes about Disco.

To each is own.

Boogie Bapt.
    (UN-real head who doesn't UN-know the deal)

• I'm kinda lost in this debate. So don't want to comment on people's tastes. But on the subject of strings - to me, that is one of the best elements of a disco record, or a soul record, or whatever. There's nothing more emotive than a good string section. However, it doesn't need to be that lush highly polished sound everyone's referring to here.
    If only I could sound like MFSB! That was never my intention, and I certainly don't have the skill to even attempt that. Wy can't "dirt magirt nyc rawness" have strings? A lot, a LOT, of it did. And the ones that didn't, would've done if they'd had the budget!

Anyway...

"why is Mr Kent producing an album of Disco like back in the days?"

because it's a "challenge", because it's "fun", because "people will dance like it's 1978" or because Joey Negro will say "Al Kent has managed to recreate the modern soul meets backstreet disco sound he loves with amazing authenticity" ... what else?

...Because that's the music I like. It's not because[/b] it's how they did it back in the day. It's because that's the only way possible to make this kind of music. I've made programmed music, and that shit would bore you to tears. I did this because that shit bored me to tears.

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts

• DeeRockDeeRock 1,836 Posts
    I knew Bapt would get his panties in a bunch! It's ALL GOOD homie. You don't have to like it, it's ok. We all have our own tatse likes and dislikes. I have no problem with you stating your opinion.

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts

...Because that's the music I like. It's not because[/b] it's how they did it back in the day. It's because that's the only way possible to make this kind of music.

Nice album by the way.

Also, Reged on 11/24/03 = lifetime Strut pass

• BaptBapt 2,503 Posts

"why is Mr Kent producing an album of Disco like back in the days?"

because it's a "challenge", because it's "fun", because "people will dance like it's 1978" or because Joey Negro will say "Al Kent has managed to recreate the modern soul meets backstreet disco sound he loves with amazing authenticity" ... what else?

...Because that's the music I like. It's not because[/b] it's how they did it back in the day. It's because that's the only way possible to make this kind of music. I've made programmed music, and that shit would bore you to tears. I did this because that shit bored me to tears.

Hi Al, I hope you that I do not sound disrespectfulling, like I said I understand the effort, having worked with some bands myself BUT to me there is another way to make it sound more "attractive", to make it sound more "2008".
    I'm sure that if you go back in the days and give (for example) MFSB some computers and machines, etc. they'd use it to death. So, no, in my book the way you choosed is not the only way.

I understood that you made the Music you like, much respect.

I'd be curious to listen to your programmed Music.

Otherwise if you need a remix... holler

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts

• "why is Mr Kent producing an album of Disco like back in the days?"

Hi Al, I hope you that I do not sound disrespectfulling, like I said I understand the effort, having worked with some bands myself BUT to me there is another way to make it sound more "attractive", to make it sound more "2008".
    I'm sure that if you go back in the days and give (for example) MFSB some computers and machines, etc. they'd use it to death. So, no, in my book the way you choosed is not the only way.

I understood that you made the Music you like, much respect.

I'd be curious to listen to your programmed Music.

Otherwise if you need a remix... holler

No, no disrespect taken. I'm just trying to answer your question.

So, let's give MFSB Protools. Yes, they'd use it to death. But would it then sound like MFSB? Definitely not. And that's the point. For me at least. I don't want to make music that sounds "2008" - I hate 2008. And there are plenty of people doing that anyway.

Yes, I could've gone down a different route, used samples, loops in Protools, but then it would sound like samples looped in protools. There is no way of recreating what human beings can do with musical instruments. There is no other way.

And just for fun....

http://www.mddaudio.com/keepthefaith.mp3
    http://www.mddaudio.com/comebackhome.mp3

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    I don't really have much to add, but I can cosign a bit of the 'disco never left argument.' When a lot of my friends are jocking the latest in tech house or electro or indie-dance or whatever, I still follow a very small list of DJs that play 'the old shit.' Sure they all keep current too, for the most part, but the best part of the night always is when they pull out the classic dance tunes. Hearing those after an hour of techno makes it even better.

Tony Humphries
    Dimitri from Paris
    Danny Krivit (who doesn't come to Chicago very often)
    Ron Trent
    The Three Chairs
    Jeff Mills, to a lesser extent

Shit NEVER was trendy to me.

Also, I love Miles Maeda (pasue). He holds yoga classes before a lot of his gigs now. I haven't been to one for several years but they are awesome -- makes the gig later on even better. I have a couple of somewhat rare twelves he put out and a ton of his mixtapes. Great stuff.

• BaptBapt 2,503 Posts

No, no disrespect taken. I'm just trying to answer your question.

So, let's give MFSB Protools. Yes, they'd use it to death. But would it then sound like MFSB? Definitely not. And that's the point. For me at least. I don't want to make music that sounds "2008" - I hate 2008. And there are plenty of people doing that anyway.

Yes, I could've gone down a different route, used samples, loops in Protools, but then it would sound like samples looped in protools. There is no way of recreating what human beings can do with musical instruments. There is no other way.

on the human being doing Music with instruments, etc.
    It can be recreated in my book (I'm not saying that's what I'm doing in my Music) at least there are many tools today that help recreating human groove, but it's not the same.

I might have a problem because it makes around 5 years now I haven't touch an instrument to make a song, but I'm not trying to recreate anything.
    :-)

Good ol'days... lol
    I'm feelin' them

I don't know you but I like that sound, it brings back very good memories.

• miles maeda also conducts buddhist wedding/yoga/dj cerimonies now -- he presided at a friend's wedding.
    ...that's hustle.

• al..keep on doing what you doing, but dont front on yourself with the disco loops with "updated" drum tracks behind them. they bang as as well.

to all who may have misunderstood my post in this thread, its all good. we all have opinions.

• So, let's give MFSB Protools. Yes, they'd use it to death. But would it then sound like MFSB? Definitely not. And that's the point. For me at least. I don't want to make music that sounds "2008" - I hate 2008. And there are plenty of people doing that anyway.

thank you.
    no d*ckride, but i cant argue that point enough sometimes, desperately too as a self-annointed career engineer-producer. cats wambe'bout some cutting edge Reason stuff, prolific X-brand mass-churned budget clone shit. And my point is, YES[/b] generally, people short-change theirselves and everyone elses' time and resources to fake what was already well in place when they created the genre. sorry. there are exceptions, but this aspect often reflects the honest care or passion for your own music in the first place.
    congratulations on doing something correctly to what was in your heart, ears, and conscience.

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    I love listening to mixes full of nothing but string heavy man-diva gayness without the boogie. I guess I could be in the minority with this one though.

TRUTH SPOKEN

Hi NRG dub mixes at minus 8 is whats REALLY poppin

Holiday - just realized i never sent you those mp3's ..fak i suk.. will do ASAP

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    and to reitterate this record is HOT ..

• SOLD.

• So, let's give MFSB Protools. Yes, they'd use it to death. But would it then sound like MFSB? Definitely not. And that's the point. For me at least. I don't want to make music that sounds "2008" - I hate 2008. And there are plenty of people doing that anyway.

thank you.
    no d*ckride, but i cant argue that point enough sometimes, desperately too as a self-annointed career engineer-producer. cats wambe'bout some cutting edge Reason stuff, prolific X-brand mass-churned budget clone shit. And my point is, YES[/b] generally, people short-change theirselves and everyone elses' time and resources to fake what was already well in place when they created the genre. sorry. there are exceptions, but this aspect often reflects the honest care or passion for your own music in the first place.
    congratulations on doing something correctly to what was in your heart, ears, and conscience.

Thank YOU.

• spcspc 534 Posts
    This is one hell of a disco album!

The cover is also dope. That's one of the covers where you can look at it and know exactly how the music sounds (well, almost exactly, could have also been a mid to late 90s house album/ep/12" cover).
    As your next project I'd like to see somehing like Black Devil's Disco Club, that my favorite disco cup of tea