THE BEST RECORD OF THE YEAR CAME OUT TODAY

Comments

• I like what I like and the same goes for disco. I just happen to enjoy gritty productions done by small combos as opposed to shit that involved a muthafukin symphony orchestra and some clockwork orange recording studio with giant open hi hats. I aint trying to categorize shit and don't really care, I hate that disco. but yes I love some other disco? how is this possible? married. Yes I dance.
    I'm cool wiht the

Now excuse me while I throw on Dance Freaks by Chain Reaction and cook dinner.

• ps Cher sucks balls too imho.

pss glad to see the strut get back to a vision of itself once in awhile

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts

Now excuse me while I throw on Dance Freaks by Chain Reaction and cook dinner.

What are you cooking? Disco is like a fine wine. I would hate for you pick the wrong meal to go with ur disco choices.

• I am feeling you on liking what you like, but to frame it in some underground vs. commercial battle.... well to me that is more relevant for hip-hop than disco. Disco was way more pick and choose.

I DON'T NEED... RICK DEES!

I DON'T NEED GABOR SZABO!

I JUST NEED... WHAT I NEED...

• I am not really sure what it's gonna be, but right now there is red onion, red bell pepper, garlic, shallots, green onion stalk and corn browning at medium in a very virgen olive oil. Couple more minutes and I'll throw in a teaspoon of balsamic and fresh ground turkey, along with kosher slat and black pepper. After that, I don't know, some sort of rice.

and dark beer.

by that point I'll have thrown on Feel Good, Party Time by JR Funk

Shhh dollah terd...

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts
    What I realize is that i dunno jack about disco, but I am also of that type that dislikes too overweight string sections and goes for the raw sounding ish. Anyway, this sounds dope to me, but it is just retro like air jordan kicks. Which is not a bad thing. But I can understand if people don't like to be reminded of hte past like that. 2 different schools, which are imo way more based on revolutionary vs evolutionary thinking about music rather than mainstream vs underground. Again, I understand both. I can't be mad at what at a first listen sounds like a pure revisionist thingy, then again hipsters are always lookin for the new ish. Which is ok too. But in the end, I am more on the evolutionairy side of things, hence I understand the raw hamburgers reasoning about Daft Punk. The trick though seems to be to just "sound" revolutionairy. Anyway, I digress...What I feel though is that I need more (good) disco in my life. Prolly gonna cop that. thanks for this thread, it reminds me of why i came here....

• JoeMojoJoeMojo 720 Posts
    I'm a boogie man.

Same here.

From what I understand, disco crowds eventually became boogie crowds. One camp.

When I play boogie tracks and disco tracks for people, there are usually two camps.

Dude this sounds corny to me. Saying boogie > disco is like saying g-funk > rap.

• I'm a boogie man.

Same here.

From what I understand, disco crowds eventually became boogie crowds. One camp.

When I play boogie tracks and disco tracks for people, there are usually two camps.

Dude this sounds corny to me. Saying boogie > disco is like saying g-funk > rap.

Where did I say one is better? I'm stating my preference.

• I JUST NEED... WHAT I NEED...

Shhh dollah terd...

I never understood the appeal of this one either.

Shhh dollah terd...

It's a raer promo. Plus, the bucketheads made girlies dance in the clubs with it.

Anyone else listening to The Counts - Latin Disco right now???

• I JUST NEED... WHAT I NEED...

Shhh dollah terd...

It's a raer promo. Plus, the bucketheads made girlies dance in the clubs with it.

Anyone else listening to The Counts - Latin Disco right now???

Haha, I know it's a semi-rare record, I have gripped and flipped in the past. I just don't get why people actually seem to like the song. Right now I'm listening to Jr. Funk & The Love Machine "Feel Good, Party Time" on Brass (instrumental side). This is some disco I can fuck with.

• DongerDonger 854 Posts
    looking at a larry levan tracklist now and marveling at it! he's got chilites, munich machine ('cheesy euro'), cher, jermaine jackson, crown heights affair, stephanie mills, shalamar, john gibbs and the u.s. steel band ... and its one of his more trad sets, too! he would mix in talking heads and shit like that all the time.

Which is why there is only one Larry Levan. And he dead.

Who else can do that? Nobody else has convinced me that this can sound good.

There are a lot of Djs that never stopped doing this, and never stopped sounding great at it.

www.deephousepage.com

www.bringtheheat.com

Lots of great mixes on these sites.

• DongerDonger 854 Posts

This LP is KILLER! Plain and simple!

This will get mixed into many disco, house and plain old dance music sets of mine.

And for the soulstrut drum nerds, there are DOPE BREAKS ALL OVER THIS SHIT!

• kid inq
    dude we're listening to the same thing!

i ditched the rice idea and threw that junk on a pizza dough..

• looking at a larry levan tracklist now and marveling at it! he's got chilites, munich machine ('cheesy euro'), cher, jermaine jackson, crown heights affair, stephanie mills, shalamar, john gibbs and the u.s. steel band ... and its one of his more trad sets, too! he would mix in talking heads and shit like that all the time.

Which is why there is only one Larry Levan. And he dead.

Who else can do that? Nobody else has convinced me that this can sound good.

There are a lot of Djs that never stopped doing this, and never stopped sounding great at it.

www.deephousepage.com

www.bringtheheat.com

Lots of great mixes on these sites.

Thanks, Donger. I'll have to reevaluate.

• DongerDonger 854 Posts
    BTW Im a little surprised at some of the ignorance on this thread!!!

• DongerDonger 854 Posts
    Shameless Plug Alert!!!!

Shameless Plug Alert!!!

Shameless Plug Alert!!!

I'll make sure we don't just play the rares.

I may have to bring some Cher

• Tell josh if he plays cher thes says he might as well check in to the kentucky motel 8 and bush out.

• kid inq

LOL. Fuckin' weird. You're not eating brussel sprouts and listening to Herb Albert "Beyond" now, are you?

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts

I may have to bring some Cher

Hey don't be stealing Crazypoprock's setlist now!

• kid inq

LOL. Fuckin' weird. You're not eating brussel sprouts and listening to Herb Albert "Beyond" now, are you?

no, pizza and ladies of the 80s. wierd though.

dude i need a copy of that KBN badddddddddddd

• kid inq

no, pizza and ladies of the 80s. wierd though.

dude i need a copy of that KBN badddddddddddd

F'real. I would love to stumble on another copy someday.

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts

...its just that the kind of wallflower hangers on, the sudden nerdiness of record spotters scaring away girls, the guys who go to watch the dj vs. dance to the dj etc.

i mean right now if i go to a disco/house night in chi, chances are it'll be a good mixed crowd w/ a DJ catering to dancers, not dudes looking to hear raers who'll get mad if you drop 'ring my bell'. I like it that way. the wheat to chaff ratio is good.

No offense, deej, but this is bullshit. It sounds to me like you are chronicling a scene that seems like it should exist, but doesn't. For some reason I have a hard time believing that you've been a consistent enough witness to the events you're describing to argue that it is a legitimate phenomenon. Of course I could be wrong, but that's a lot of turf to cover in the 6 months since you turned 21 (jokes!).

And as far as funk is concerned, there is only one night in Chicago and it is off the Frickin' hook. One of, if not the best in the country. Tons of females - plenty of whom I'm sure were allured by the write-up Dante's night got in Rolling Stone - and so much dancing I have been literally afraid that the floor was about to collapse. Just sayin.

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    And as far as funk is concerned, there is only one night in Chicago and it is off the Frickin' hook. One of, if not the best in the country. Tons of females - plenty of whom I'm sure were allured by the write-up Dante's night got in Rolling Stone - and so much dancing I have been literally afraid that the floor was about to collapse. Just sayin.

Please to send plane ticket to Chicago. This sounds like too much fun.

• JroamJroam 257 Posts
    I have a Miles Meada mix featuring all boogie except for "Work for Love" by Ministry. One of my favorite mixes ever.

I don't like mixes that criss-cross from '77 to '84.

And how can I get this in my life? I've heard a few mindblowing sets recorded and live by Miles. Seriously though, I doubt I have any interesting trades... (pm?)

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts

...its just that the kind of wallflower hangers on, the sudden nerdiness of record spotters scaring away girls, the guys who go to watch the dj vs. dance to the dj etc.

i mean right now if i go to a disco/house night in chi, chances are it'll be a good mixed crowd w/ a DJ catering to dancers, not dudes looking to hear raers who'll get mad if you drop 'ring my bell'. I like it that way. the wheat to chaff ratio is good.

No offense, deej, but this is bullshit. It sounds to me like you are chronicling a scene that seems like it should exist, but doesn't. For some reason I have a hard time believing that you've been a consistent enough witness to the events you're describing to argue that it is a legitimate phenomenon. Of course I could be wrong, but that's a lot of turf to cover in the 6 months since you turned 21 (jokes!).

UH you misread me homie. i assume u mean the funk nights at dannys??? ive been to those a couple times and i agree. Me saying i dont like to go out and dance to funk was not trynna argue that funk nights are all record watching dudes - i was just saying i was worried about going out for disco shit and finding the crowd like the lame-ass hipsterati that stood around to egyptian lover when i saw him last year.

i didnt mean that funk nights were like that; my reasoning for not going out to dance to funk 45s is a musical preference, plain and simple.

and im turning 25 in a couple months dude. ive been around long enough to know that in the past year disco 'came back' outta nowhere

• DeeRockDeeRock 1,836 Posts
    I heard this project some time ago as well b4 it was released today and was blown away! So solid. I just want to chime in here becuase like phill says "Real headz know the deal" and that's the bottom line. Who gives a shit if bapt doesn't like disco? He probably doesn't get it but that's fine because the ones that do, do. To each their own. It's not for everyone. I personally love it and yes I agree with Raw hamburger and Johnny paycheck on this one. I also, know we (the mentioned) are a bit older and serious record nerdz. So I would EXPECT us to know and that is what makes us a so called authority on this issue. At the end of the day music is personal and we all like/prefer different stuff. I'm sure most of the younger strutters don't like it and I wouldn't expect them to. They don't know the history to be able to appreciate it. I jumped on disco a bit early when cats were on the funk 45's tip etc. I have always loved it even as a kid. This is indeed an excellent release. I highly recommend it.

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts

i didnt mean that funk nights were like that; my reasoning for not going out to dance to funk 45s is a musical preference, plain and simple.

No doubt. I was reading a bit too much into what you posted. I'm sensitive when it comes to funk.

and im turning 25 in a couple months dude.

Yes, but what is that in noz years?

I'm joking of course. I know better than to question your club cred.

• Dope record. Thanks for the heads up.