Hollywood Sux Ass

13»

Comments

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Are you questioning the hood credentials of the one called RootlessCosmo?

The boy hugs the block like Pellegrino!

• Damn!

Tough crowd...

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Zoolander is certified comic wood.

platinum in the Suburbs.

Ben Stiller is an ass. I can't think of anyone I can't bear on the screen more than him. Add Michael Douglas to that.

• A lot of smart critics, J Hoberman for instance, are arguing that this was the best year for mainstream cinema in a long time. I agree, and I see just about everything.

My list would include
    There Will Be Blood
    Death Proof
    Hostel 2 (the anti-Juno)
    Sweeney Todd
    Zodiac
    etc

All horror movies for horrorshow times. I would argue that war and a society in sharp decline are grist for exciting filmmaking.

You can quibble all you want, add No Country For Old Men etc, but can you name a stronger year in recent memory? Or does anyone seriously believe that cinema was more interesting / exciting in the 90s? I'd like to hear somebody explain that one.

Look, bad movies are a constant. The LCD gets lower and lower as time goes on. It's Frickin' scary how stupid people are becoming. But the beloved 70s didn't look so good when they were happening either. A lot of redneck movies and thrillers that aren't thrilling, pretentious attempts to mimic European films from ten years earlier, lots of dull stories that play like paint drying today. Complaining that Hollywood sucks is like getting upset that your favorite movie didn't win an oscar.

PS Zoolander is funny. Juno makes me embarrassed to be white.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    PS Zoolander is funny.

Gnarley Barkley Fan

• Options
    Damn!

Tough crowd...

• phongonephongone 1,652 Posts
    Juno makes me embarrassed to be white.

On a related note, the write of Juno, Cody Diablo is kind of skanky hot, in a sort of Suicide Girl/tweeker way.

• All of my students -- 10th graders -- want to see "The Bucket List."

How or why this movie appeals to people under 70 I can't explain; how or why 15-16 year-olds want to see it I really can't explain.

• having never seen this chick before in my life this was nonetheless EXACTLY my mental image of the writer of the terd called Juno.

• magneticmagnetic 2,678 Posts
    Or does anyone seriously believe that cinema was more interesting / exciting in the 90s? I'd like to hear somebody explain that one.

• mandrewmandrew 2,720 Posts
    A lot of smart critics, J Hoberman for instance, are arguing that this was the best year for mainstream cinema in a long time. I agree

i agree as well my friend.

last year i can remember that was close in quality to this one was 99
    being john malkovich, american beauty, fight club, matrix, three kings, blair witch

• On a related note, the write of Juno, Cody Diablo is kind of skanky hot, in a sort of Suicide Girl/tweeker way.

pass

• american beauty, fight club, matrix, three kings, blair witch

Baaaaaaaaaaaaaahahahahaahhahahahahaahhahahaha!

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    A lot of smart critics, J Hoberman for instance, are arguing that this was the best year for mainstream cinema in a long time. I agree

All it takes is one shitty Michael Bey to ruin a year though...

On that note: what will '90s children's nostalgia film look like? Live action Pokemon?

• dgriotdgriot 388 Posts

All it takes is one shitty Michael Bey to ruin a year though...

Yeah, I find it hard to say one year is particularly stronger than another unless we're speaking of a specific genre or director or acting "collective". Why not remember 2007 as the year of disappointing-to-reprehensible trilogies (Spider-Man 3, Pirates 3, Shrek The 3rd), crappy Lohan vehicles (I Know Who Killed Me, Georgia Rule), more bad LCD comedies (Epic Movie, Delta Farce, Who's Your Caddy?), etc.

• For serious? Nobody here has shot the howitzer of ballsawesomeness that drops on the 25th !!!!!
    Oh and he got convicted of having HGH last year in Auz! Hype Hype Hype

• 33thirdcom33thirdcom 2,049 Posts
    plus its january peoples, this is when Hollywood dumps all of its terds on the theaters. Almost anything coming out january-February is primarily trash in the studio's eyes.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    I'm gonna go see Cloverfield next week. I hope it doesn't suck.

• 06 was way better with such cinematic classics as borat and jackass2.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    Jackass 2.5 is out...

• Jackass 2.5 is out...

is it worth it? i saw it the other day with 45 minutes more footage. the wildboyz dvd is basically jackass2 outtakes.

• dgriotdgriot 388 Posts
    I know the inevitable Apatow backlash is taking the world by storm, but it'll pass.

Not until well after this is released:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0960144/

As an aside, I have high hopes for Pineapple Express because I love David Gordon Green.