Hollywood Sux Ass

Comments

• onetetonetet 1,754 Posts

--The Bourne franchise is better than most '90s action franchises

Yes.

--Most of Apatow's output is better than most '90s comedies

No.

What were the great Hollywood comedies of the 90s again?

There's Something About Mary and...

even if you don't like Apatow, over the last few years you'll probably see 5-10 entertaining hollywood movies a year. that was NOT the case in the 90s.

what are the funny Apatow films?

40 y/o virgin - ehhh. would rather watch 4 back-to-back episodes of the Office.

superbad- not as funny as 40 y/o virgin

knocked up - not funny

If i hadn't watched every episode of Ali G, i'd say Borat kills everyone of his movies and the last half hour of that movie was painfully bad.

Something about Mary kills all of the above. Its a classic.

stay focused. I know the inevitable Apatow backlash is taking the world by storm, but it'll pass. In the meantime, the issue is whether the current decade has produced more entertaining comedies (and films in general) than the 90s. I say yes, emphatically.

• dgriotdgriot 388 Posts

I guess you could argue for Clueless, Friday, Wayne's World 1 & 2, Waiting For Guffman, Happy Gilmore, Dumb & Dumber, Office Space, Army of Darkness, and some others.

• --The Bourne franchise is better than most '90s action franchises

Yes.

--Most of Apatow's output is better than most '90s comedies

No.

even if you don't like Apatow, over the last few years you'll probably see 5-10 entertaining hollywood movies a year. that was NOT the case in the 90s.

what are the funny Apatow films?

40 y/o virgin - ehhh. would rather watch 4 back-to-back episodes of the Office.

superbad- not as funny as 40 y/o virgin

knocked up - not funny

If i hadn't watched every episode of Ali G, i'd say Borat kills everyone of his movies and the last half hour of that movie was painfully bad.

Kingpin and Zoolander[/b] kill all of the above.

• phongonephongone 1,652 Posts
    Saying "Hollywood sucks" is meaningless, sort of like saying "Hip-Hop is Dead." Just seek out the real good shit for yourself.

• onetetonetet 1,754 Posts

I guess you could argue for Clueless, Friday, Wayne's World 1 & 2, Waiting For Guffman, Happy Gilmore, Dumb & Dumber, Office Space, Army of Darkness, and some others.

I said "great" and you started your list with Clueless?

• What were the great Hollywood comedies of the 90s again?

yea, wayne's world is really pushing it, but maybe at the time "shwing" was funny...but wayne' world II? you can probably include every adam sandler movie ever made as one movie.

• dgriotdgriot 388 Posts
    Do not sully the greatness of Happy Gilmore and Billy Madison by implying it's interchangable with shit like Waterboy. To me, it's similar to Michael Bay's career arc.

He has a couple really enjoyable Hollywood summer blockbusters under his belt (The Rock, Bad Boys) before he became almost a bad parody of himself with Armageddon, Pearl Harbor, etc.

• dgriotdgriot 388 Posts

I swear to blog!

• Do not sully the greatness of Happy Gilmore and Billy Madison by implying it's interchangable with shit like Waterboy.

billy madison is played by happy gilmore. i'm not saying there aren't some funny pars in any of his movies, its just the same shtick.

• mandrewmandrew 2,720 Posts

• Not a movie so sorry to threadjack, but this show grew on me quick, great show. I need to check previous season(s). Tina Fey would get the blapjack. Tracy Morgan is hysterical. The whole show is funny.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Hollywood has the highest garbage to quality ratio of any industry, including the actual garbage business...

Dude, I'm pretty sure the publishing industry has this beat, cold.

• dgriotdgriot 388 Posts
    Do not sully the greatness of Happy Gilmore and Billy Madison by implying it's interchangable with shit like Waterboy.

billy madison is played by happy gilmore. i'm not saying there aren't some funny pars in any of his movies, its just the same shtick.

I don't disagree, I just don't see how that's an automatic negative, assuming you don't hate the shtick outright. It's a similar style of criticism that's been levied to Wes Anderson's last couple of films, Will Ferrel/Frat Pack, and to some extent, Apatow & Co.

I finally watched this the other day - I thought it was really good...up until the ending.

The Bucket List? Really?
    One Missed Call? Really?
    First Sunday? Really? A seemingly colossal waste of Kat and TM funniness btw.
    Is this as good as it gets? I really do think Matt & Trey were onto something when they were saying Hollywood lost its imagination. Just cash in on the sure thing guaranteed seller/sequel, no matter how garbage you know it to be.

After Transformers success, they're making GI Joe and Thundercats movies.

Lay some spit on this, I wanna hear all yall thoughts.

All love Non but this is just mad . People have been making this same rant since the late '70s. I agree - there's a lot of wack shit out there but tune that out and find something better to watch. There are options, especially if you live in a big city. Or get your DVD rentals on.

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,087 Posts
    Saying "Hollywood sucks" is meaningless, sort of like saying "Hip-Hop is Dead." Just seek out the real good shit for yourself.

One of my biggest pet peeves is how some people (refering to no one here contributing to the discussion. Just speaking generally) always whine about how "all music, TV shows and movies these days suck", as if quickie remakes, shameless rip-offs, hackish pseudo-intellectual comedy and redundant sexual humor is a new thing. It seems like recorded entertainment wasn't any more or less original and groundbreaking than it is today.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    The Bucket List? Really?
    One Missed Call? Really?
    First Sunday? Really? A seemingly colossal waste of Kat and TM funniness btw.
    Is this as good as it gets? I really do think Matt & Trey were onto something when they were saying Hollywood lost its imagination. Just cash in on the sure thing guaranteed seller/sequel, no matter how garbage you know it to be.

After Transformers success, they're making GI Joe and Thundercats movies.

Lay some spit on this, I wanna hear all yall thoughts.

All love Non but this is just mad . People have been making this same rant since the late '70s. I agree - there's a lot of wack shit out there but tune that out and find something better to watch. There are options, especially if you live in a big city. Or get your DVD rentals on.

That wiggly lil geezer dude made me laugh
    Perhaps it's just me. I haven't seen a movie ad where I'm like "I wanna see that" since Talk To Me, which I still haven't seen. No matter the genre, Hollywood cranking out shit I literally don't wanna see.

• WoimsahWoimsah 1,734 Posts
    Whoever was riding for Zoolander can see themselves out of the conversation. Grown men making faces at each other and having "walk-offs" isn't funny. Becky humor to the umpteenth power.

And to have the argument - there are a lot of good movies being made. I mean yea - a lot of marquis joints are going to suck - but this year alone, No Country for Old Men and There Will Be Blood with be getting more oscar noms than basically any other film....and that's pretty rad. those are some dark ass unique films to be getting the praise they are - gotta love that.

Juno's a pretty annoying flick - if I hear that bitch say "shenannigans" one more time I'm just going to end it all. But - I didn't hate it at all. Good story, some good lines here and there....and shut up - you can't front on Bateman. No matter what - he's the shit. The whole supporting cast in that movie, I thought, killed it. The dad, the step-mom, even Jennifer Garner, who always has bugged the living shit out of me, I thought was really good. But the dialog??? "ooo how hip and unique and quirky." give me a break.

I didn't care for Into The Wild as much as everyone else seems to. It pissed me off when he made the face into the camera.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    No Country for Old Men and There Will Be Blood with be getting more oscar noms than basically any other film....and that's pretty rad. those are some dark ass unique films to be getting the praise they are - gotta love that.

Unique? Seriously?

• Whoever was riding for Zoolander can see themselves out of the conversation. Grown men making faces at each other and having "walk-offs" isn't funny. Becky humor to the umpteenth power.

dude every. last. one. of your posts on Soulstrut has been stupid.

you can "see yourself the fuck of this board," toy.

• Zoolander is certified comic gold. we've had this very debate on here and those who didn't find it funny were pretty much revealed to have "missed" the entire point of the movie. clearly you, too, fall into this category.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    Whoever was riding for Zoolander can see themselves out of the conversation. Grown men making faces at each other and having "walk-offs" isn't funny. Becky humor to the umpteenth power.

That wasn't even me, but I have to defend Zoolander. I like Eraserhead as much as the next guy, but there's nothing wrong with a well-executed albeit stupid comedy. I know a lot of people don't like Zoolander, but to dismiss someone's opinion based solely on their regard for it is a bit rash and small-minded.

Zoolander is certified comic wood.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    Do not sully the greatness of Happy Gilmore and Billy Madison by implying it's interchangable with shit like Waterboy.

Here's every single Adam Sandler comedy summarized in one sentence: "I'm retarded, but I'll get the girl in the end!"

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    Wow. I guess I didn't need to defend Zoolander after all.

Carry on.

• Zoolander is certified comic wood.

platinum in the hood.

Zoolander is certified comic wood.

platinum in the Suburbs.

• Are you questioning the hood credentials of the one called RootlessCosmo?

The boy hugs the block like quarter water!

• milomilo 49 Posts
    HOLY SHIT EVERYONE YOU'RE REALLY ONTO SOMETHING HERE
    PLEASE DO EXPOUND

• magneticmagnetic 2,678 Posts

Election,Office Space,Half Baked,Kingpin,The Cable Guy,Dumb & Dumber,Ace Ventura:Pet Detective,The Players Club,Mallrats,Austin Powers: International Man of Mystery,Deuce Bigalow: Male Gigolo and CB4.