Hollywood Sux Ass

The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
edited January 2008 in Strut Central
The Bucket List? Really?One Missed Call? Really?First Sunday? Really? A seemingly colossal waste of Kat and TM funniness btw. Is this as good as it gets? I really do think Matt & Trey were onto something when they were saying Hollywood lost its imagination. Just cash in on the sure thing guaranteed seller/sequel, no matter how garbage you know it to be. After Transformers success, they're making GI Joe and Thundercats movies. Lay some spit on this, I wanna hear all yall thoughts.

Comments

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    Don't Knock it Bitch!

I'm waiting for the Movie version of "My Super Sweet 16" to be announced

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    The Bucket list is for Old People. they need movies too.

But overall Movies have been trash for a minute.

cats still referencing 9-11 is

• YAAAAH TRICK YAAAAAH!

• Don't Knock it Bitch!

I'm waiting for the Movie version of "My Super Sweet 16" to be announced

^^^^^^

obviously not paying attention.

• i agree, especially comedies. movies and television. i'm looking forward to anything done by ricky gervais and the new Harold and Kumar movie. thats about it. HBO lost all credibility when they gave Dane Cook a series. Curb has run its course. Def Comedy Jam is not funny. Ditto for Entourage, although I don't even know if that show is trying to be funny. The office is still ok and 30 Rock has its moments. If i'm missing some gems, i'd love to know what else is out there.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Cmon now - what about 27 Dresses? At least that's a groundbreaking romantic comedy in which an attractive, professional white woman and her wardrobe star in a film about her unrequited love for her boss and her comically sad life because she's not a wife?

• bthavbthav 1,538 Posts
    i really liked juno

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    i really liked juno

• i really liked juno

me too. I wasn't too sure in the first 5 minutes, but then I enjoyed it a lot. I wish there were more movies like this.

• First Sunday? Really? A seemingly colossal waste of Kat and TM funniness btw.

No doubt. Tracy Morgan and Katt Williams might be the two funniest guys out there right now (to me, at least), and they get on the big screen with this terd of a movie? That sucks.

On a related note, I didn't realize that American Hustle came out already, has anybody seen it?

• well considering we live in a county where the main reason people vote for a president is because 'he seems like someone I would like to sit down and have a beer with' can you really be surprised?

• phongonephongone 1,652 Posts
    Maybe you should stop messin' with the light comedies. The last couple flicks I saw were pretty good:

No Country for Old Men
    Atonement
    There Will Be Blood

• Atonement

i'm glad my fiance dragged me to this movie because i was really tired and got in a good 90 minutes of napping.

• i really liked juno

this movie was an embarassment. it was basically a bad indie rock soundtrack with cute little scenes in between each song (of which there must have been 30+ over the course of the movie.)

• Cmon now - what about 27 Dresses? At least that's a groundbreaking romantic comedy in which an attractive, professional white woman and her wardrobe star in a film about her unrequited love for her boss and her comically sad life because she's not a wife?

haha! katherine heigl is SO WHACK. not fine. not funny. not a particularly compelling actress. does stupid movies. am I missing something?

• i really liked juno

this movie was an embarassment. it was basically a bad indie rock soundtrack with cute little scenes in between each song (of which there must have been 30+ over the course of the movie.)

it was entertaining. the dialog was a little over the top. i don't think 17 year olds are that hip and quick-witted, but i guess if they talked like normal teenagers it would have been a a bore. jason bateman's character was unnecessary. the guy from Oz who played the Dad was probably the only real character, but again, its an entertaining movie, not a novel, so who cares.

i really liked juno

Little Miss Sunshine demographic.

Depending on Hollywood to crank out 35 gamechanging movies a year is crazy.

• i really liked juno

it was entertaining. the dialog was a little over the top. i don't think 17 year olds are that hip and quick-witted, but i guess if they talked like normal teenagers it would have been a a bore. jason bateman's character was unnecessary. the guy from Oz who played the Dad was probably the only real character, but again, its an entertaining movie, not a novel, so who cares.

I thought the stepmom from West Wing was the best. Bateman was indeed a bore. And Jenifer Garner looks like an alien to me.

• dgriotdgriot 388 Posts

Yeah, that's how I see it - name drop-laden "wink wink that's so quirky!" dramedies that are relatively low-budget and award/festival bait. Generally not my cup of tea, but inoffensive.

• Fuck the industry but don't mess with my neighborhood.

• verb606verb606 2,518 Posts
    YAAAAH TRICK YAAAAAH!

That's it, we need an official soulja boy graemlin with him saying YAAH TRICK YAAH real quick. Controller 7, where you at?????

or maybe, YAAAAH BATCH YAAAH?

Yeah, that's how I see it - name drop-laden "wink wink that's so quirky!" dramedies that are relatively low-budget and award/festival bait. Generally not my cup of tea, but inoffensive.

Psuedo-Smart Dramadies for the Royal Tenenbaums demographic.

• Psuedo-Smart Dramadies for the Royal Tenenbaums demographic.
    yeah, I used to kind of like those but it's become forumlaic, I haven't seen the new Wes Anderson ... but I've probably already "seen" it.
    I Heart Huckabees is one of the worst in this genre IMO.

• 99Problems99Problems 1,541 Posts

I was thinking of seeing either Southland Tales, The Kite Runner or The Orphanage this weekend. Anyone want to chime in on any of these?

• Hollywood has the highest garbage to quality ratio of any industry, including the actual garbage business...

• onetetonetet 1,754 Posts
    I see glimmers of hope that Hollywood's on the way up.

--The Bourne franchise is better than most '90s action franchises

--Most of Apatow's output is better than most '90s comedies

--We're seeing more R and NR comedies and horror flix, as opposed to the 90s when they all had to be PG-13.

--documentaries continue to get wider distro pushes than ever before (to say nothing of their increased DVD presence)

--in the last year or so we've seen all these decent-or-better films:

Zodiac
    Children of Men
    Rescue Dawn
    Bourne Ultimatum
    No Country for Old Men
    Michael Clayton
    The Ten
    Superbad
    Knocked Up
    Year of the Dog
    Gone Baby Gone
    Before the Devil Knows You're Dead
    There Will be Blood (I'm presuming it's good -- opens here today)
    Darjeeling Lmtd

to name a handful.

As usual, creative people generally have an uphill battle w/ the people who hold the $$$ to get good films made. But I feel like they're suceeding more frequently than in the past 10 or 20 years.

• --The Bourne franchise is better than most '90s action franchises

Yes.

No.

• phongonephongone 1,652 Posts
    I see glimmers of hope that Hollywood's on the way up.

--We're seeing more R and NR comedies and horror flix, as opposed to the 90s when they all had to be PG-13.

--documentaries continue to get wider distro pushes than ever before (to say nothing of their increased DVD presence)

--in the last year or so we've seen all these decent-or-better films:

Zodiac
    Children of Men
    Rescue Dawn
    Bourne Ultimatum
    No Country for Old Men
    Michael Clayton
    The Ten
    Superbad
    Knocked Up
    Year of the Dog
    Gone Baby Gone
    Before the Devil Knows You're Dead
    There Will be Blood (I'm presuming it's good -- opens here today)
    Darjeeling Lmtd

to name a handful.

As usual, creative people generally have an uphill battle w/ the people who hold the $$$ to get good films made. But I feel like they're suceeding more frequently than in the past 10 or 20 years.

• onetetonetet 1,754 Posts

Yes.

No.

What were the great Hollywood comedies of the 90s again?

There's Something About Mary and...

even if you don't like Apatow, over the last few years you'll probably see 5-10 entertaining hollywood movies a year. that was NOT the case in the 90s.

• --The Bourne franchise is better than most '90s action franchises

Yes.

No.

What were the great Hollywood comedies of the 90s again?

There's Something About Mary and...

even if you don't like Apatow, over the last few years you'll probably see 5-10 entertaining hollywood movies a year. that was NOT the case in the 90s.

what are the funny Apatow films?

40 y/o virgin - ehhh. would rather watch 4 back-to-back episodes of the Office.

superbad- not as funny as 40 y/o virgin

knocked up - not funny

If i hadn't watched every episode of Ali G, i'd say Borat kills everyone of his movies and the last half hour of that movie was painfully bad.

Something about Mary kills all of the above. Its a classic.