Rep your wedding song...

2»

Comments

• JRootJRoot 861 Posts
    Our criteria was to select a song that a) we both liked a lot and wouldn't mind hearing for the rest of our lives; b) was topic appropriate - love, commitment, all that magic; and c) was not so popular to be a hackneyed choice, but not so obscure that we'd never hear it in random and unpredictable future locations.

I lobbied kinda hard for "Adore" by Prince, but when it gets to the part where he talks about "when we were making love...", my wife put down the Aunt Evi veto. "Aunt Evi is going to be watching us and listening to this song...no."

We wound up with "Overjoyed" by Stevie Wonder. Then there we were, on our honeymoon, on the piazza in Orvieto, and what should come lilting out from the little stereo inside the cafe where we got our panini and orvieto classico? "Overjoyed." We danced our second first dance al fresco before an audience of Italians and mosaics. It was awesome - one of my best memories from an unforgettable honeymoon.

Take a long honeymoon if you can remotely afford it. You won't regret it ever.

What's good my peoples?
    JRoot

• phongonephongone 1,652 Posts
    Diggin' the topic as I recently got engaged this past Xmas... and of course, I'm only responsible for all things music for the wedding. (sweet)

I'm still waiting to see the budget to see if I can get a choice DJ, instead of a quality homey to do it.

My thoughts on this is save your money and get your homie to do it (assuming he has decent sound/equipment to rock the wedding venue). It might be a needless extravagance to get the more expensive, "choice" dj because:

1) Family members can give a lick whether the DJ has "skills" and actually mixes songs;

2) You should generate your own list of wedding jams that the DJ should be ready to spin. In this modern era, songs are readily accessible/downloadable, even raers;

3) Everyone will want to hear the standard wedding fare, which again your DJ friend should already have.

• Isle song was Stevie Wonder - As

nice. love that song.

Can't believe it's already been 3.5 years since I was hitched. First dance was Al Green "I'm Glad Your Mine".

• we walked out to Syreeta's version of Stevie Wonder's "I Love Every Little Thing About You"

our first dance was Chris Montez's "The More I See You" I love how his voice sounds slightly off, and how they take what could be just a normal song to the next level with a round of "la-la-la-la's"

our ceremony was outdoors a few blocks from the reception. we walked and my friend blasted a boombox, the 3 song CDR had "If you got soul and your superbad" song from midwest funk, and Missy Elliot's "work it"

ahh marriage

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    not married (yet, hahaha), but

Joe Bataan-My Cloud[/b]

too perfect.
    Great choice--that's a personal favorite of mine.

• Our first dance was to 'the first time ever I saw your face'.

The Meeting House where we got married had no electricity so we had a trio of fiddle, bass and guitar. They played a killer version of 'take me to the river' too.

• NateBizzoNateBizzo 2,328 Posts
    Just got married last week.

"Aguas De Marco" Tom Jobim & Ellis Regina

followed up by:

"My Neck, My Back" by Khia

• DJAckDJAck 255 Posts
    Diggin' the topic as I recently got engaged this past Xmas... and of course, I'm only responsible for all things music for the wedding. (sweet)

I'm still waiting to see the budget to see if I can get a choice DJ, instead of a quality homey to do it.

My thoughts on this is save your money and get your homie to do it (assuming he has decent sound/equipment to rock the wedding venue). It might be a needless extravagance to get the more expensive, "choice" dj because:

1) Family members can give a lick whether the DJ has "skills" and actually mixes songs;

2) You should generate your own list of wedding jams that the DJ should be ready to spin. In this modern era, songs are readily accessible/downloadable, even raers;

3) Everyone will want to hear the standard wedding fare, which again your DJ friend should already have.

i hesitantly agreed to DJ a friend of a friend's wedding this weekend and all he wants is funk/soul and 80/90's hiphop. i already know this is a recipe for disaster. luckily, my boy is helping me out & bringing dildo thru so we can cater to the hokey-pokey crowd. as great as it is to hear M.O.P. (the groom's request) that shit isn't cool at a wedding IMO.

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
    "Sunny" played by a Brazilian Jazz Trio for the first dance, and Thus Sprach Zarathustra by the DJ for the cake cutting (culminating, of course at the 2001 Space Odessey theme part).

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    Jimi Hendrix - little wing

This is undoubtedly one of mine, and my fiancee's, favourite songs ever - damn fine choice.

protection massive attack

I know my other half was keen on this for a first dance for a long time but I personally find it beautiful but just too tinged in sadness. Mind you, most of the most lovely songs tend to be that way.

God knows what we'll end up on as I can't convince her to have Booty's I'd Rather Be With You no matter how hard I try.

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
    and some traditional russian popular song, that has been turned into a techno nightmare, that made all the russians go crazy and literally[/b] dance on their heads and do the kosak dance.

• verb606verb606 2,518 Posts
    Walked in to a version of "Where is My Mind" by the Pixies(?) played and sung by my brother and sister.

Walked out to Pamoja "Ooh Baby" MP3 courtesy of a generous, well-known Strutter who knows who he is. This was pre-reish.

First dance was "Love's Holiday" by EWF.

Plus, I gotta cosine on this...

Take a long honeymoon if you can remotely afford it. You won't regret it ever.

• gambitgambit 906 Posts
    Can't believe it's already been 3.5 years since I was hitched. First dance was Al Green "I'm Glad Your Mine".

This joint is on my list. This is actually "our" song; even though, we haven't visited this track in a minute. I put this on a mix to celebrate our 6th month dating anniversary. I should find that CD.

Diggin' the topic as I recently got engaged this past Xmas...

congrats!!!!

Thank you, sir!

Yeah, I am definitely leaning towards the homey angle. It all depends on loot though. There won't be enough with-it folks there to know a celebrity DJ a la DJ Quik at dude's daughter bah/bar(?) mitzvah, plus it'll be an excuse to get an extra homey there that wouldn't naturally get invited. Then again, I want someone I can trust knows how to handle a crowd.

• gambitgambit 906 Posts
    I'm also thinking about "Je Vous Aime (I Love You)" by Donny Hathaway.

Nothing like a major event to get you going through your crates.

• Ours was Errol Dunkley "Movie Star," but Young_Phonics (who DJed during dinner and looked positively dashing) dropped Tom Brock's "There's Nothing In This World That Can Stop Me..." which will always make me think of that day.

• tuneuptuneup 586 Posts
    most folks may laugh at this, but I got my good friend to compile a few Cd's for the occasion. Mostly because it was him I wanted to have DJ, but he really wanted to enjoy the night with us. The Cds were the easy compromise, and trust me, it eliminated any Abba requests and so on. Worked out beautifully, and really couldn't have been better.

• my fiance keeps bugging me about this. our wedding is not until september. we have a wedding bad that defies the stereotype and is actually kind of soulful. i think stevie wonder's "if you really love me" is my top choice right now, not really sure if the lyrics have any relevancy, but its a feel good song and the tempo changes will be cool, as we try to go back and forth between slow and fast dancing.

• TabaskoTabasko 1,357 Posts
    first dance:

we've been having crazy fun with this song for years, so it just seemed appropriate.

• We did East of Underground too, wanted to do The Intruders "Together" but couldn't find it on cd. Also wanted the Bennito Sextet Plus One's "Love is to Say" but the wife wasn't feeling it. Actually I played her a lot of stuff that got the veto. Then I got the EOU reissue, was playing it in the house, when we both looked at each other like this is it.

• phongonephongone 1,652 Posts
    We did East of Underground too, wanted to do The Intruders "Together" but couldn't find it on cd. Also wanted the Bennito Sextet Plus One's "Love is to Say" but the wife wasn't feeling it. Actually I played her a lot of stuff that got the veto. Then I got the EOU reissue, was playing it in the house, when we both looked at each other like this is it.

I must applaud all of you fellas who married women that were down to play RAERS at your wedding. You guys married some keepers. Most of the ladies I know want to play shit like Shania Twain's "From this Moment" or as someone previously mentioned, Etta James "At Last."

• DJCireDJCire 729 Posts
    Walked in to: "Is You Is Or Is You Ain't My Baby" (Remix) - Dinah Washington.

Danced to; "More" by Harry Connick Jr.

And yes, long honeymoons are worth every penny. 2 weeks in Europe was

• JRootJRoot 861 Posts
    Just got married last week.

Congratulations. Being married is a great way to be.

• stevie wonder's "if you really love me"

we left it up to our pals, and 1st dance was Strange Magic by ELO, pretty fun..
    Highlight was definitely I Need a Freak by Sexual Harassment, and the minister and his wife with hands in the air on the dancefloor, along with everyone else. it was so cold everyone danced their ass off that night.

• sbonesbone 144 Posts
    if it ever did happen .... maybe
    it would be "bad to the bone" kool g rap
    then later that night "talk like sex"...
    werd womens watch out

• pknypkny 549 Posts
    I'm getting married in about three months, and this thread has given the kick in the ass I need to start compiling a song list for the big day. My fiancee's tastes in music are rather, ahem, pedestrian, but I'm hoping to slip in some treats under the radar.

For the record, our first dance will be Al Green "Let's Stay Together", and our wedding reception intro music will hopefully be the instrumental to Luda's "Roll Out".

• sbonesbone 144 Posts
    I'm getting married in about three months, and this thread has given the kick in the ass I need to start compiling a song list for the big day. My fiancee's tastes in music are rather, ahem, pedestrian, but I'm hoping to slip in some treats under the radar.

For the record, our first dance will be Al Green "Let's Stay Together", and our wedding reception intro music will hopefully be the instrumental to Luda's "Roll Out".

otis is a sure bet!