XXL fires Elliot Wilson?

Comments

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    lol at faux rillz 'dont write about women' stance

Well, if it isn't Shawwna's houseboy.

I'm all for writing about women--but please find some that are doing interesting things to write about.
    good thing you singled them out from the male rappers :-p

• ScottScott 420 Posts
    If I had to read one more Remy Ma article, I think I'd puke. I'm starting to wonder if she had a Benzino-like grip on that magazine.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

I'm all for writing about women--but please find some that are doing interesting things to write about.

It is a distinct and sex-specific phenomenon.

Nobody without an agenda of promoting female rappers could possibly justify devoting page space to Remy Ma or Jackie-O. It's not like they have fans.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts

Nobody without an agenda of promoting female rappers could possibly justify devoting page space to Remy Ma or Jackie-O. It's not like they have fans.

But I'm sure they both claim that "the streets" are feeling 'em and just waiting for 'em to drop another album. And why would they lie about that?

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    but how is that different from, like, papoose coverage

but how is that different from, like, papoose coverage

Who says it is? Papoose coverage, too, is purely agenda driven. By bitter-azz people who use words like "lyrical" with a straight face.

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    The reality is peoples interest in Hip Hop has dried up.

a bit. I believe its definitely thinned out.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    At least Elliot Wilson knew wtf "Ego Trippin'" is.

Snap. Ouch.

Dude - there's a very big difference between "rap CD sales are down for the ___th year in a row" vs. "shit is dead - stick a fork in it."

Seriously, do we REALLY need to revisit the inane "hip-hop is dead" debate again?

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts

based on ....

• 33thirdcom33thirdcom 2,049 Posts

based on ....

1. Sales
    2. Most of the bigger producers are trying to do pop music not rap music
    3. Most Rap concerts/shows are not even close to selling out
    4. talking to kids (their supposed target audience)
    5. The music has become disposable so to younger generations so there is less attachment, its lost its edge
    6. Its part of a cycle for any genre of music its just at a low point and will probably go lower before getting better

off the top of my head.

1. Sales
    5. The music has become disposable so to younger generations so there is less attachment, its lost its edge
    6. Its part of a cycle for any genre of music its just at a low point and will probably go lower before getting better

off the top of my head.

All good points but again, "dried up" suggests, "no one cares anymore" not "less people care about it these days."

Just curious, in regards to #4: so what are kids listening to these days?

• magneticmagnetic 2,678 Posts

based on ....

1. Sales

off the top of my head.

But how could you be so certain of this
    Its not like you run a hip hop store
    do you?

1. Sales

off the top of my head.

All good points but again, "dried up" suggests, "no one cares anymore" not "less people care about it these days."

where im at? Seems like most of the high school kids i see are emo'd out. And most of the skater kids seem to be really into metal.

This is hollywood though, and these kids are mostly latino.

1. Sales

off the top of my head.

where im at? Seems like most of the high school kids i see are emo'd out. And most of the skater kids seem to be really into metal.

I'm curious what Black youth are listening to. From what I see around my campus in Long Beach - it's still hip-hop.

• 1. Sales

off the top of my head.

All the under 21 youngsters I l know listen to rap exclusively. They don't buy SHIT though.

1. Sales

off the top of my head.

All the under 21 youngsters I l know listen to rap exclusively. They don't buy SHIT though.

at least they're still listening. You cant expect kids to up and start buying shit when they've been downloading for free their whole lives!

• 1. Sales

off the top of my head.

at least they're still listening. You cant expect kids to up and start buying shit when they've been downloading for free their whole lives!

Yeah. Its just the way the came up. I used to dub the shit out of tapes at Warehouse and take em back. That was mostly due to being broke though.

Including magazines, it seems.

They're spending money on something though, right? I don't imagine this upcoming gen is suddenly putting all their money into savings accounts.

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts

They're spending money on something though, right? I don't imagine this upcoming gen is suddenly putting all their money into savings accounts.

I've been trying to figure this one out too, cause we know from the credit statistics that this isn't the case.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts

I've been trying to figure this one out too, cause we know from the credit statistics that this isn't the case.

Fancy phones, ipods, "fresh gear".....

I don't think they care about spending dough on anything that doesn't make them look cool...

Some friends of mine have had a CD/12" spot off and on for years now which I was just told is going to focus exclusively on clothes/shoes/art now because they're making close to nothing off records...

BTW, this XXL shift is , so glad I'm no longer subscribed...

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    Some friends of mine have had a CD/12" spot off and on for years now which I was just told is going to focus exclusively on clothes/shoes/art now because they're making close to nothing off records...

See, we now have FOUR of those spots that have popped up over the past year, all within two blocks of each other. It is baffling that they stay in business, but then I see people on campus and around town wearing the kind of stuff they sell, and it all makes sense. There is a HUGE profit margin to be made selling $28 t-shirts that cost under $5 to make.

It's gonna be funny in a decade when their clothes end up at thrift stores.

It's gonna be funny in a decade when their clothes end up at thrift stores.in 3rd world countries.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts

based on ....

1. Sales

off the top of my head.

do you?
    doesnt he work for a record store in LA where their best selling cds were like skyzoo or some bullshit
    i just figured he worked for the la version of undergroundhiphop.com

• All the under 21 youngsters I l know listen to rap exclusively. They don't buy SHIT though.

Fancy phones, ipods, "fresh gear".....

And video games.

I just hosted a few of my younger cousins over the holidays and all they gave a shit about were gadgets, gear and games. All that shit is way more expensive than buying music, so it makes sense. They're also obsessed with hip-hop dance culture in whatever variety they can find it. All that You Got Served type shit.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    1. Sales
    sales are fucckin meaningless. rap is sold primarily to young folks so no shit downloading is going to have a bigger impact than on the latest rod stewart
    who? timbaland? he's always done R&B and shit, from the beginning of his career. who else you talking about?
    i dont know how true this is. do u have a source? im interested
    in my anecdotal exp, no. unless yr talking about hipsters moving to blog house
    bullshit oldman bias. old ppl always say this shit
    its part of an imagination to make the story fit how you want it to

Deej mad doggin'!

• It's gonna be funny in a decade when their clothes end up at thrift stores.in 3rd world countries.

based on ....

1. Sales

off the top of my head.

do you?
    doesnt he work for a record store in LA where their best selling cds were like skyzoo or some bullshit

i just figured he worked for the la version of undergroundhiphop.com

He informed us some time ago that La Coka Nostra was what's really at his store.

• JRootJRoot 861 Posts

I've never heard of Remy Ma or Jackie-O, but i like some of Eve's songs on her first record. Haven't heard any of her other records.

And when it comes to female rappers with their own sit-coms, Eve was the king. I am perhaps the only white 30something dude that is waiting for the Eve DVDs to come out. That show was a traditional situation comedy with some decent writing. Yeah, it was mad corny at times, but that's what a sitcom is. It made me laugh, and it presented issues involving male-female relationships, male-male relationships, female-female relationships in ways that rang true to me, truer than anyother sit com I've seen in a long time. I was pissed when the C-W or whatever it is called that gobbled up WB and UPN cut Eve from the lineup.

Eve fans unmasked,
    JRoot

Oh, and on the topic of the thread, XXL has been sucky for a while. Didn't they release some stupid XXL Soul offshoot a couple years back, with R. Kelliy on the debut issue? That's when I knew they were on a wrong path.

I hope Mr. Wilson lands on his feet somewhere.