Options

MacWorld '08

123457»

Comments

• I don't know how much of their marketshare exists from this but it is a concern.

The pro audio market is dwarfed by the college market, which is dwarfed by the business market. Again, I don't think they're alienating audio tech heads because the model above AND below are both more full-featured. Air is a specialty product designed to appeal more to the lifestyle marketing crowd.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    I don't know how much of their marketshare exists from this but it is a concern.

The pro audio market is dwarfed by the college market, which is dwarfed by the business market. Again, I don't think they're alienating audio tech heads because the model above AND below are both more full-featured. Air is a specialty product designed to appeal more to the lifestyle marketing crowd.

Is that who buys ultra-slim laptops though? I usually associate it more with professionals who want a second computer for travel. Maybe I just spend too much time in airports though.

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    i love my mac book pro. ive been on pcs all my life. no comparisom.

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    i love my mac book pro. ive been on pcs all my life. no comparisom.

That about sums it up. I'm curious, have all the Mac haters spent any time actually using one?

• UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts
    I think that about sums up what vexes a lot of people about Mac heads. I think at this point you'd have to be living in a cave to not have used a mac, but for a lot of people who are not trying to spend serious bread on the computer plus every adaptor, cable, etc, there are other options. Theres very little I cant do on either my laptop or my desktop, and I dropped some $40 ram into my desktop, almost doubled my Pro Tools performance for the same price it would cost to get the iphone headphone adaptor. Just saying, if you think they're the only game in town, one size fits all, you are playing your self. I just cant get down with having to buy everything from one company, that can choose to charge whatever they want because everythings proprietary...

• SnagglepusSnagglepus 1,756 Posts
    I'm curious, have all the Mac haters spent any time actually using one?

You really do have to own one to understand all of this "design" and "style" talk. I know what that must sound like ... trust me, I'm not this dude:

The LAST thing I'm thinking about when discussing the design of a computer is how I look when I'm using it. I don't hang out at the internet cafe, for the luvagod.

For Apple, design is a wholistic concept. Because they design everything from the shell to the operating system to much of the software that you use on it, they have the opportunity to integrate everything. That's always been the difference between Apple computers and PCs. Because so many third parties have their hands in the construction of every piece of a PC, compatibility issues are inevitable. There are advantages to that sort of economy (lower prices and more options) but the final product simply can't be as robust.

And Apple is innovative in every aspect of design. They don't just churn out boxes with sweet "specs" (though they hold their own ... check a Mac Pro). Ultimately, minute differences in specs don't lead to a fundamentally better user experience ... a good design does. They design every aspect of their machines with the contemporary user in mind: little touches like the power cord connected by a magnet and the backlit keyboard, FrontRow with a remote (think big iPod from across the room), easy to use audio and video production software, etc. It all leads to an experience that can't be summed up with numbers. And it isn't just superficial BS. I like the fact that it comes with Apache webserver pre-loaded so I can easily test out database driven websites. I like the simple Unix interface. OS X isn't just for "light computer users".

But whateva. Ultimately, people gravitate towards things that suit their personalities. My MacBook Pro suits mine.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    I'm curious, have all the Mac haters spent any time actually using one?

You really do have to own one to understand all of this "design" and "style" talk. I know what that must sound like ... trust me, I'm not this dude:

:ewf:

Memorizing the J-Crew catalog vs. being an Apple acolyte = not really the same thing.

More like this:

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    I think that about sums up what vexes a lot of people about Mac heads. I think at this point you'd have to be living in a cave to not have used a mac, but for a lot of people who are not trying to spend serious bread on the computer plus every adaptor, cable, etc, there are other options. Theres very little I cant do on either my laptop or my desktop, and I dropped some $40 ram into my desktop, almost doubled my Pro Tools performance for the same price it would cost to get the iphone headphone adaptor. Just saying, if you think they're the only game in town, one size fits all, you are playing your self. I just cant get down with having to buy everything from one company, that can choose to charge whatever they want because everythings proprietary...

Seriously, there's an entire cottage industry built on just 3rd party mac accessories. What you're saying hasn't been true since the late 90's.

yeah, even cheap ram too... If you have the matching specs, you can buy ram from any manufacturer.

• yeah, even cheap ram too... If you have the matching specs, you can buy ram from any manufacturer.

I just bought 2 x 2GB Kingston memory that is specifically designed for Macbook Pro for about 70 euros. There's probably even cheaper manufacturers than Kingston too but I don't trust them. The price for the equivalent memory from Apple would have been almost 1000 euros.

I have had MBP for about a month now and never used a Mac before that. Frickin love this machine and I happen to be a Windows sw developer too. I wanna change sides now.

• JoeMojoJoeMojo 720 Posts
    I have had MBP for about a month now and never used a Mac before that. Frickin love this machine and I happen to be a Windows sw developer too. I wanna change sides now.

Haha, at this point Windows software developers command a salary premium because so few programmers want to deal with Windows.