Options

MacWorld '08

Comments

• SnagglepusSnagglepus 1,756 Posts
    http://discussions.apple.com/static/discussionsbacksoon.html

All the negative threads got them shook. SHUT EM DOWN!

"We are busy deleting all negative feedback from Apple Discussions for you and will be back shortly."

• verb606verb606 2,518 Posts

Is there a way to have a Bluetooth optical drive?

You can use Remote Disc.

"Wirelessly install software to you MacBook Air from any other PC/Mac in the home with Remote Disc."

http://www.engadget.com/2008/01/15/apple-announces-remote-disc-to-wirelessly-install-software/

oh, i see. I wasn't up on what Remote Disc was. Is it just for installing software? I think a Bluetooth Superdrive that you could carry around with your laptop would be cool, as long as you could rip CD's, run programs, and do anything you can do with an internal. It might not be practical though.

• You'd think Apple would have learned not to mess with sub-notebooks from the Duo debacle.

• I don't get what all the hating on the new MacBook is about.

To me it seems obvious that it is designed for the corporate market, and in that market smaller and lighter is key. Have you ever tried lugging a laptop around between airports and cabs and offices all day? Straight up pain in the ass.

My work laptop - never used the optical drive, never used the ethernet, never used firewire, never taken the battery out and never used more than one usb port on when on the road (i have a hub for when it's on my desk).

This is basically the ultimate corporate dream machine in my opinion.

I don't get what all the hating on the new MacBook is about.

To me it seems obvious that it is designed for the corporate market, and in that market smaller and lighter is key. Have you ever tried lugging a laptop around between airports and cabs and offices all day? Straight up pain in the ass.

My work laptop - never used the optical drive, never used the ethernet, never used firewire, never taken the battery out and never used more than one usb port on when on the road (i have a hub for when it's on my desk).

You have a point.

The other thing I was thinking, regarding the optical drive, is that Apple is making a huge push away from the use of discs and towards the use of iTunes for media (obviously). They already supplied music and movies for purchase on iTunes. Now they're renting out movies, for the luvagod. So the average dude is covered for 95% of the reasons you'd use an optical drive. And they even thought ahead on software installation from a disc.

So the product isn't completely nutso considering the market they're trying to create. I, however, don't exist in their little dreamworld so I'll continue to use my MacBook Pro.

[though, I must say I'm jealous that all of these MacBook Air users will be able to send their computers to co-workers via inter-office mail. I'd do it all the time if it would only fit in the damned envelope!]

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    I don't get what all the hating on the new MacBook is about.

1.) Macs and corporate anything don't mix, except for smaller cottage style enterprises which aren't really "corporate" to being with.

2.) $1800 for a crippled, albeit ultraportable, lappy doesn't go over well with Becky in procurement.

"Here's a $600 Dell latitude coming your way." - Becky

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    I was reading the WSJ's analysis of it and they thought it was a bold and smart move BUT also noted that it's a micro-market designed for Apple to "fill in a blank" in their product line but ultimately - for all the reasons people noted - it's not really aimed for the wider consumer market in the way the MacBook is and not even at most professionals in the way the MacBook Pro is. The actual % of people for whom a computer like this would be truly useful - especially for the cost - is minute.

I'm more curious as to whether iTunes movie rentals will take off. This whole "you must watch within 24 hours" strikes me as kind of wack but then again, I've never split up watching a movie over more than a day anyway so maybe it does make sense.

BTW: I upgraded my iPhone to 1.1.3. I actually thought this firmware update was genuinely useful in terms of the new features, especially in moving around dock icons, adding in bookmarks, and the geek in me likes the fake GPS centering though people will real GPS will no doubt by lifting their noses right now.

This whole "you must watch within 24 hours" strikes me as kind of wack

To be clear, you have 30 days to begin watching the movie. Once you've started watching it, you have 24 hours before you can't watch it no mo'.

To be clear, you have 30 days to begin watching the movie. Once you've started watching it, you have 24 hours before you can't watch it no mo'.

Yeah - I wrote that misleadingly. Nonetheless, the model doesn't make me want to go out and delete my Netflix account even if video-on-demand seems tempting.

Yeah - I wrote that misleadingly. Nonetheless, the model doesn't make me want to go out and delete my Netflix account even if video-on-demand seems tempting.

Yeah ... I'm with you on that. I rather enjoy being able to burn dvds and watch them whenever I want.

I could just look this up of course, but does anyone know off hand what a downloaded "dvd" from iTunes is like? How is the quality? How large are the files? Does it have a navigation menu or do you just get the main feature?

Yeah ... I'm with you on that. I rather enjoy being able to burn dvds and watch them whenever I want.

I could just look this up of course, but does anyone know off hand what a downloaded "dvd" from iTunes is like? How is the quality? How large are the files? Does it have a navigation menu or do you just get the main feature?

I think the max resolution is 1080? People have pointed out that AppleTV maxes out at that so even if you had movies with a higher resolution, it's not like you could watch it off of an AppleTV anyway.

• I was reading the WSJ's analysis of it and they thought it was a bold and smart move BUT also noted that it's a micro-market designed for Apple to "fill in a blank" in their product line but ultimately - for all the reasons people noted - it's not really aimed for the wider consumer market in the way the MacBook is and not even at most professionals in the way the MacBook Pro is. The actual % of people for whom a computer like this would be truly useful - especially for the cost - is minute.

I think it's aimed at the Euro and Asian markets, the people who seem to be in full buying frenzy mode at my local Apple stores. With the weak dollar, perhaps a more luxurious, flashy product was needed. No road warrior is going to take that delicate, expensive machine on the road.

I think the max resolution is 1080? People have pointed out that AppleTV maxes out at that so even if you had movies with a higher resolution, it's not like you could watch it off of an AppleTV anyway.

If I'm not mistaken the max out is 720P, which was a lot of the reason for huff and puff when it came out.

iTunes Store purchased video:

320 by 240 pixels
    640 by 480 pixels
    720 by 480 pixels (anamorphic)
    high-definition 720p

• mandrewmandrew 2,720 Posts
    biggest congregation of geeks ever
    the macbook air isn't for everyone right now but its THE FUTURE. it has the technology that we will all be using in a few years
    the only thing more bizarre than the $20 ipod touch upgrade fee was randy newman. his first song was so bizarre - talking in detail about all the atrocities that past world leaders have committed, such as drowning little boys in swimming pools - and especially in that setting. then he rambled on about watching the stock numbers on msnbc and his gambling drunk uncles, then he played that song from toy story.
    i'm now officially a mac geek though. i was hanging on every one of jobs' words and laughing at his nerd-jokes.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts

high-definition 720p

Disappointment.

the macbook air isn't for everyone right now but its THE FUTURE. it has the technology that we will all be using in a few years

I might actually buy that but apparently, no one on Wall St. is.

AAPL < $160

AAPL < $160

Yeah, it may be the FUTURE, but it unfortunately isn't the PRESENT for most computer buyers.

AAPL < $160

Yeah, it may be the FUTURE, but it unfortunately isn't the PRESENT for most computer buyers.

Slowly but slowly, my opinion is changing of this "device". Gizmodo has a good breakdown of it and some other leading slimmies...

head to head

I think I raised this before but just to put it out there again:

Is 80GB (let alone 64!) pretty tiny by today's standards? I mean, for a laptop, don't you think they should arm this with something bigger than an iPod HD?

Now...if my iPhone had that much storage?

Is 80GB (let alone 64!) pretty tiny by today's standards? I mean, for a laptop, don't you think they should arm this with something bigger than an iPod HD?

Pretty much 120 is standard nowaways. But the argument is as people have said here, less of your data and apps are being stored on your local HD. They released Time Capsule at the same time for a reason. That's a terabyte of your stuff in the air waiting for you to pull it down at any time.

More and more, it makes sense. Few years early, but makes sense.

• mandrewmandrew 2,720 Posts

AAPL < $160

hold on for the ride

also...

not sure how this song would go over with you lot
    even though it is very feisty and that song is unfuckwittable
    anyway, i had the chance to meet johnny ives yesterday. he told me he was into the music and i was like, uh, thanks, i like your design

AAPL < $160

Slowly but slowly, my opinion is changing of this "device". Gizmodo has a good breakdown of it and some other leading slimmies...

head to head

I am too in some respects (though I don't see it being a huge success for the company ... at least not right away).

When you look at how it integrates with the wireless reality that Apple is pushing, it's a great little machine. It would be a horrible choice as someone's only computer, but it would make a great companion for a desktop. Throw in the Time Capsule for storage of your media collections and you have a pretty cool setup.

Pretty much 120 is standard nowaways. But the argument is as people have said here, less of your data and apps are being stored on your local HD. They released Time Capsule at the same time for a reason. That's a terabyte of your stuff in the air waiting for you to pull it down at any time.

More and more, it makes sense. Few years early, but makes sense.

Word - I think the coolest product released yesterday was Time Capsule. Classic Apple: they don't come with something that hasn't been done before...they simply improve on it. I'd give serious consideration to copping the TB model once the inevitable price drop comes.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    That Mac Air jawn looks sexy for sure but I think I would break that shit. I'm just gonna get a Macbook Pro instead, fuck it (unless someone can tell me a reason why not to... )

That Mac Air jawn looks sexy for sure but I think I would break that shit. I'm just gonna get a Macbook Pro instead, fuck it (unless someone can tell me a reason why not to... )

The Mac Air w/ Flash upgrade would make an interesting Microwave machine, no doubt though!

The Mac Air w/ Flash upgrade would make an interesting Microwave machine, no doubt though!

Don't you need firewire for Serato?

As for the MacBook Pro, I've never regretted getting one.

Don't you need firewire for Serato?

As for the MacBook Pro, I've never regretted getting one.

No. I run Microwave off of USB

• damn what the hell are y'all talking about?

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    damn what the hell are y'all talking about?

Just nerd shit.

check this out.

Macbook Air

13.3"
    1.8 ghz Intel Core 2 Duo processor
    2GB memory
    64GB solid-state drive1
    Built-in 802.11n Wi-Fi2 and Bluetooth 2.1 + EDR
    0.76 inch thin
    3.0 pounds

Cost: $3,098.00

vs.

My laptop (averatec)-

17"
    1.8 ghz AMD
    512 ram(upgradeable to 2)
    80 gig hd,
    w/firewire, usb 2.0, ethernet, wireless, 5in1 media reader, and dvd burner.
    1.37" thin
    7.2 lbs

Cost: $699

- spidey