Options

MacWorld '08

Comments

• I think I raised this before but just to put it out there again:

Is 80GB (let alone 64!) pretty tiny by today's standards? I mean, for a laptop, don't you think they should arm this with something bigger than an iPod HD?

It has a low-profile 1.8" HD, versus the standard laptop 2.5". You pay to be on the bleeding edge.

Not for everyone, and I'm keeping my iBook for the time being, but I could see a student or traveler picking one up.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    I could see a student or traveler picking one up.

I don't know about traveler but this is NOT aimed for students nor sensible for them. The Air is not designed to be a primary computer; it's a secondary one. MOst students I know don't have the kind of means to be able to roll with two computers.

• I don't know about traveler but this is NOT aimed for students nor sensible for them.

Maybe not students, but for faculty I could see this being an attractive option. For people in fields where constant travelling to deliver talks, etc. is a factor and for whom mac is already the preferred choice, an ultra-portable mac laptop is pretty appealing.

Whether that population is sufficient to contribute to this thing as a success is a separate issue.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts

I don't know about traveler but this is NOT aimed for students nor sensible for them. The Air is not designed to be a primary computer; it's a secondary one. MOst students I know don't have the kind of means to be able to roll with two computers.

You underestimate trustfund babies' genetic predisposition to be the objects of envy. Unless you are a TFB yourself, you don't really roll with TFB's.

You underestimate trustfund babies' genetic predisposition to be the objects of envy. Unless you are a TFB yourself, you don't really roll with TFB's.

I suppose if you were both a TFB and a geek but I don't see a ton of those around. Most TFB types I come into contact with (think fake-tanned OC kids) have other ways to floss before using an ultra-slim laptop to do it.

• When you look at how it integrates with the wireless reality that Apple is pushing, it's a great little machine. It would be a horrible choice as someone's only computer, but it would make a great companion for a desktop. Throw in the Time Capsule for storage of your media collections and you have a pretty cool setup.

this is what we were talking about at work on Tuesday. The reality of wireless home networks where there is a central hub, and all the kiddies and wife have MacBook airs to surf and access data on the Time Capsule.

• verb606verb606 2,518 Posts

this is what we were talking about at work on Tuesday. The reality of wireless home networks where there is a central hub, and all the kiddies and wife have MacBook airs to surf and access data on the Time Capsule.

I hadn't thought about it, but this is really what will be poppin in the near future, I think. You'll have a home server that will have all your data, and your personal computers will just connect to that. You can run network cables to your TV (because all your movies will be on it) and other high data transfers and run wireless for everyone's laptops. Doesn't Apple already have a wireless interface that lets you run your iTunes signal through your home stereo?

• SnagglepusSnagglepus 1,756 Posts
    damn what the hell are y'all talking about?

Just nerd shit.

check this out.

Macbook Air

13.3"
    1.8 ghz Intel Core 2 Duo processor
    2GB memory
    64GB solid-state drive1
    Built-in 802.11n Wi-Fi2 and Bluetooth 2.1 + EDR
    0.76 inch thin
    3.0 pounds

Cost: $3,098.00

vs.

My laptop (averatec)-

17"
    1.8 ghz AMD
    512 ram(upgradeable to 2)
    80 gig hd,
    w/firewire, usb 2.0, ethernet, wireless, 5in1 media reader, and dvd burner.
    1.37" thin
    7.2 lbs

Cost: $699

- spidey

Really now.

You sure proved a point by throwing in the optional solid state drive bumping the price up to 3 G's. Yeah ... those drives are hugely expensive whether put in a Mac or PC. Put the standard 80 gig drive back in the Mac and the price drops back down to $1800 (well, for the 1.6 ghz version). And put another 1.5 gigs of ram in your computer to even things a bit.

Regardless, the Mac isn't design to compete with your computer on the dimensions you're listing (that's what the standard MacBook is for). And it's not designed to be the affordable option. It's the sexiness and portability that will have Joe Corporate carrying an Air to the board meeting instead of a huge clunky beast.

• AserAser 2,351 Posts

Just nerd shit.

check this out.

Macbook Air

13.3"
    2GB memory
    64GB solid-state drive1
    0.76 inch thin
    3.0 pounds

vs.

My laptop (averatec)-

17"
    1.8 ghz AMD
    80 gig hd,
    1.37" thin
    7.2 lbs

- spidey

Really now.

You sure proved a point by throwing in the optional solid state drive bumping the price up to 3 G's. Yeah ... those drives are hugely expensive whether put in a Mac or PC. Put the standard 80 gig drive back in the Mac and the price drops back down to $1800 (well, for the 1.6 ghz version). And put another 1.5 gigs of ram in your computer to even things a bit.

Regardless, the Mac isn't design to compete with your computer on the dimensions you're listing (that's what the standard MacBook is for). And it's not designed to be the affordable option. It's the sexiness and portability that will have Joe Corporate carrying an Air to the board meeting instead of a huge clunky beast.

Why he bothers to posts in these mac threads I never know. We get it, you don't like macs, now please move on.

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts

Just nerd shit.

check this out.

Macbook Air

13.3"
    2GB memory
    64GB solid-state drive1
    0.76 inch thin
    3.0 pounds

vs.

My laptop (averatec)-

17"
    1.8 ghz AMD
    80 gig hd,
    1.37" thin
    7.2 lbs

- spidey

Really now.

Why he bothers to posts in these mac threads I never know. We get it, you don't like macs, now please move on.

Damn calm down Aser just showing an example.

My laptop claims to be the thinnest current 17". So, the mac is slightly thinner, has less shit, a much smaller screen, and costs about 4 times as much. Bump the processor power down, and the hard driver up and you it's still about 2 1/2 times more expensive then my laptop.

Just putting that out there for anyone who cares about hardware.

- spidey

Just putting that out there for anyone who cares about hardware.

- spidey

Aren't you the guy who said that people who own Macs don't care about hardware? Only style?

In that case:

vs.

• 33thirdcom33thirdcom 2,049 Posts
    the macbook air isn't for everyone right now but its THE FUTURE. it has the technology that we will all be using in a few years

You could say taht about most new laptops though, I thought the AIR while being a cool idea, is highly impractical - 13.3" screen? thats the wort part, at the very least have 15". Everything will be FLash drives in a few years anyway, the hard drive is on its way ooooout.

• SnagglepusSnagglepus 1,756 Posts

My laptop claims to be the thinnest current 17". So, the mac is slightly thinner, has less shit, a much smaller screen, and costs about 4 times as much. Bump the processor power down, and the hard driver up and you it's still about 2 1/2 times more expensive then my laptop.

My point was that the base model is $1800. You had to add the hugely expensive solid state hard drive and bump up the processor to get the $3000 price you quoted.

And your computer has 1/4 of the RAM that the Mac has.

Regardless, it's apples and oranges. The Air isn't trying to be your computer.

My point was that the base model is $1800. You had to add the hugely expensive solid state hard drive and bump up the processor to get the $3000 price you quoted.

I only bumped it so the processors matched in speed. I upgraded the Memory[/b] in my computer which cost me a whopping $50.

I'm not trying to say the air is trying to beat my computer. I'm just showing an alternative that is equivalent, much cheaper, and has more features overall.

Mac people don't care about the specs. Plain and simple.

- spidey

I only bumped it so the processors matched in speed. I upgraded the laptop in my computer[/b] which cost me a whopping $50.

I'm not trying to say the air is trying to beat my computer. I'm just showing an alternative that is equivalent, much cheaper, and has more features overall.

Mac people don't care about the specs. Plain and simple.

- spidey

Damn son! If you could patent that...

LOL, yeh yeh that's what I get for typing so fast.

"People don't read."

- spidey

• are they seriously calling their new, thin laptop the "Mac Air"?

what a dumb name.

seriously aren't the Apple mkting guys supposed to be some of the better compensated cats in the industry? step your game up folls.

I only bumped it so the processors matched in speed. I upgraded the laptop in my computer which cost me a whopping $50.

Mac people don't care about the specs. Plain and simple.[/b]

- spidey

You bought an Averatec, you must not care about quality. Plain and simple.

That brand is infamous for making shit quality comps...
    DOO DOOO...

It's cool to buy boxes of oranges from CostCo but lappys?

LOL, yeh yeh that's what I get for typing so fast.

"People don't read."

- spidey

No but seriously, what did you upgrade for $50 that you couldn't upgrade in a MacBook/MBP for roughly the same price?

DOO DOOO...

They sell Macs at Costco. What I needed was cheap and great and that's what I got from a small laptop store here in town. Never had a problem with my Averatec. It's actually what I use to record and mix music with. Sorry dude. I would sympathize with you if my laptop was shit.

I'm all about Value over Cost.

- spidey

No but seriously, what did you upgrade for $50 that you couldn't upgrade in a MacBook/MBP for roughly the same price?

Memory.

- spidey

DOO DOOO...

They sell Macs at Costco. What I needed was cheap and great and that's what I got from a small laptop store here in town. Never had a problem with my Averatec. It's actually what I use to record and mix music with. Sorry dude. I would sympathize with you if my laptop was shit.

I'm all about Value over Cost.

- spidey

I doubt you did any research before buying your crapbox. If you did, you'd know that Averatec pretty low rated. You've got the Ford Festiva of Laptops. You're not an educated buyer so don't try to pass as one.

I doubt you did any research before buying your crapbox. If you did, you'd know that Averatec pretty low rated. You've got the Ford Festiva of Laptops. You're not an educated buyer so don't try to pass as one.

Meanwhile, I have a 17" laptop that I've had for a year that I can play video games on, make music with and watch dvds on.

You got me. Uneducated.

- spidey

Meanwhile, I have a 17" laptop that I've had for a year that I can play video games on, make music with and watch dvds on.

You got me. Uneducated.

- spidey

Talk to me in a year. When you're on your second Averagetec.

"It doesn't matter how good or bad the product is, the fact is that people don't read anymore,"

- spidey

Talk to me in a year. When you're on your second Averagetec.

Fasho, talk to me when the next Mac trend comes out.

- spidey

Memory.

- spidey

Ok, so like how much memory. Interesting you list your heap as having only 512mb Ram and that's WITH[/b] a memory upgrade that you paid $50[/b] for?!!!!

You are Best Buy's dream customer.

Uneducated? Hell to the yeah!

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    By all accounts you've sonned us. You got a bigger screen, equally fast laptop for a far better deal. You sound very happy, and have no qualms in reminding us of your happiness in saving much more money than Apple zealots at every opportunity.

Ok, so like how much memory. Interesting you list your heap as having only 512mb Ram and that's WITH[/b] a memory upgrade that you paid $50[/b] for?!!!!

You are Best Buy's dream customer.

Uneducated? Hell to the yeah!

Uh, 512 came with the laptop, I've upgraded to 2 gigs. Maybe you're reading me wrong.

By all accounts you've sonned us. You got a bigger screen, equally fast laptop for a far better deal. You sound very happy, and have no qualms in reminding us of your happiness in saving much more money than Apple zealots at every opportunity.

Yah, I didn't even mean to take it there homie. They tried to test my gangster.

- spidey

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    Who doesn't want the best?