Options

MacWorld '08

Comments

• bthavbthav 1,538 Posts
    true question is how much will the flash upgrade be? Jobs didn't even try to sugarcoat it, just said outright it'll be a grip.

it'll sell, mad otaku apple folks out there. Plus it'll be a fashionable gadget to have, and we know how many mac users fall into that camp.

not for moi.

i guess it just proved to be too expesive. But i imagine that was the plan in the first place. Not even quoting a price is a little extreme though.

Randy Newman?

with the flash upgrade, the comp is at 3Gs

absurd

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    true question is how much will the flash upgrade be? Jobs didn't even try to sugarcoat it, just said outright it'll be a grip.

With the current specs, it's not worth the MSRP, much less with a SSD upgrade what market is this for?

Is it an expensive, crippled laptop? or an overpowered, ulta-capable UPMC?

I don't get it.

its pretty!

mabye not pretty enough to compete with umpcs that are selling at 200 bucks though.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    No superdrive?

You can get a $99 usb external or you can use the remote disc function. Which is kinda cool.

• The 64GB SSD upgrade is $999.

it'll sell, mad otaku apple folks out there. Plus it'll be a fashionable gadget to have, and we know how many mac users fall into that camp.

not for moi.

i guess it just proved to be too expesive. But i imagine that was the plan in the first place. Not even quoting a price is a little extreme though.

Randy Newman?

with the flash upgrade, the comp is at 3Gs

absurd

ooohh.... doesnt look good.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts

not for moi.

Randy Newman?

You know, the price isn't really the issue. Everyone knows SSD is uberexpensive, but who would want SSD on THIS THING? It's like your backup laptop. What are you running that demands that fast of a HD and at the same time no pro specs like only 1 (Frickin' 1) USB port and 0 (MF 0) FW ports?!!

Just plain Frickin' stupid.

This is gonna be like the next Lisa. Only mac elitists and trustfund babies are gonna buy this.

• The external Superdrive is USB and has no additional USB inputs or pass-through or anything. Also, there's no Ethernet port built in, that's an additional $30 for a USB adapter.

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    next MBP rev will have the ssd as a BTO, that's for sure.

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    I don't think ethernet or superdrive are exactly a high priority for this machine. People buying this will already own another computer. Plus it's so thin, who would want to chain this thing to a desk w/ an ethernet connection.

next MBP rev will have the ssd as a BTO, that's for sure.

Now THAT makes perfect sense. Ryan Block should get a royalty check for every SSD MacBook sold.

MacBook Pro DIY SSD upgrade...

AAPL is down almost $10.00

slim shady

who would want to chain this thing to a desk w/ an ethernet connection.

I've never connected my mbp this way. And if you have 801.11n, there really is no need to. Even if ur watching HD movies off ur network.

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    whole market is down though, due to citigroup's 10bn loss.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    I don't think ethernet or superdrive are exactly a high priority for this machine. People buying this will already own another computer. Plus it's so thin, who would want to chain this thing to a desk w/ an ethernet connection.

Cosiggle. I don't mind the lack of ports. This isn't your primary computer. But cotdamn, it still is $$$.

• AAPL is down almost $10.00

http://blog.afraidtotrade.com/apple-shows-classic-gap-fade/

Phenomenon known as GAP FADE

when can i get my iphone upgrade!? you can already pay for the ipod one.

• edubedub 715 Posts
    pay to upgrade??!!

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    when can i get my iphone upgrade!? you can already pay for the ipod one.

Huh?

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    9:35 am $20 upgrade for existing users
    9:35 am Maps
    9:34 am Mail, Stocks, Notes, and Weather
    9:34 am For iPod Touch: 5 new apps

doesn't apply to iPhone.

this was a rather mundane keynote.

• edubedub 715 Posts
    I'm downloading the iPhone update now

• verb606verb606 2,518 Posts
    The external Superdrive is USB and has no additional USB inputs or pass-through or anything. Also, there's no Ethernet port built in, that's an additional $30 for a USB adapter.

Is there a way to have a Bluetooth optical drive? If so, they'll probably come out with something like that, no? I figure a stripped down machine like that would/should have as many bluetooth accessories as possbile.

Worst MacWorld ever...

• bthavbthav 1,538 Posts

same here.. but its free.. the touch update is $20... no idea why though.. thats straight bull.

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,889 Posts
    If they had better Exchange email integration on the iPhone (other than IMAP) where users could sync email and calendar sales would increase dramatically. They do appear to be hiring Exchange QA engineers but nothing has been released yet. 3G would be nice too.

Is there a way to have a Bluetooth optical drive?

You can use Remote Disc.

"Wirelessly install software to you MacBook Air from any other PC/Mac in the home with Remote Disc."

http://www.engadget.com/2008/01/15/apple-announces-remote-disc-to-wirelessly-install-software/

same here.. but its free.. the touch update is $20... no idea why though.. thats straight bull.

lol damnit, i think the update server is down

If they had better Exchange email integration on the iPhone (other than IMAP) where users could sync email and calendar sales would increase dramatically. They do appear to be hiring Exchange QA engineers but nothing has been released yet. 3G would be nice too.

forgive me, im not that knowledgeble about corporate email, but what is so great about exchange?

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    Well that was straight up awful.

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,889 Posts

forgive me, im not that knowledgeble about corporate email, but what is so great about exchange?

Microsoft Exchange has the largest marketshare. Mostly because of how well they have implemented Active Directory. Because most corporations are on Exchange if a phone won't sync in realtime with a user's calendar (like with Windows Mobile, Blackberry, Treo, or Symbian OS do) iPhones will hardly be used in the corporate world. I realize Apple was never intending it to be used in the manner but people want it.

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    http://discussions.apple.com/static/discussionsbacksoon.html

All the negative threads got them shook. SHUT EM DOWN!