Options

MacWorld '08

Comments

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    No DVR for AppleTV2..

oh, you mean like tivo and apple tv in one?

• bthavbthav 1,538 Posts
    time capsule is kinda slick.... albeit absurdly expensive

Not at all if it can be used as a NAS which I'm sure is the plan. In addition, it's a wireless N router which itself can cost $150.

Here's a popular 1Tb NAS at TigerDirect for: $549.00 (without router)
    Buffalo 1TB NAS (no Wireless N hotness)

Add another $150 for a linksys Wireless N router and we're looking at $700.00

"Absurdly expensive"? No! Absurdly cheap? yes!

shieeeeeeeeet

9:20 am 2 versions: 500 GB version - $299, 1 TB $499
    9:19 am Full Airport Extreme base station with "server grade" hard drive internal.

I want to know MORE.

Think about centrally backing up all your mpraer. and having access to it not only locally, but I'm pretty sure there will be remote access as well.

Yeah that's what I thought. I wonder if you can link terabytes, like 2 or 3 of these bitches - have another one at a different location in case your house burns down. This shit is ILL / exactly what the fuck I;m looking for.

Also, what's up with the new MacBook Pro?

havent heard any rumors about a new mbp. but its possible.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    No DVR for AppleTV2..

oh, you mean like tivo and apple tv in one?

Zactly... Which would be the selling point for me and alot of other people, I'm sure... But as it is right now XMBC seems to trump all, and it can be made at home for less than a bill.

• bthavbthav 1,538 Posts

my bet is that its gonna be dropped last in the keynote

iphone 3G or Macbook Air will be last, mark my words. A refresh of an existing line is not that big of deal for a "one last thing"...

oh well. i bought mine like 6 months ago.

10:01 am Apple TV price drop. Entry price drops from $299 to $229
    10:00 am The new Apple TV is a free software update.

I see what you did there.

• SnagglepusSnagglepus 1,756 Posts

9:19 am Full Airport Extreme base station with "server grade" hard drive internal.

I want to know MORE.

Think about centrally backing up all your mpraer. and having access to it not only locally, but I'm pretty sure there will be remote access as well.

Yeah that's what I thought. I wonder if you can link terabytes, like 2 or 3 of these bitches - have another one at a different location in case your house burns down. This shit is ILL / exactly what the fuck I;m looking for.[/b]

I'm planning on upgrading to Leopard soon and was thinking about the whole time machine/external drive scenario. I was thinking of replacing my current router with an Airport Extreme so I could hook up my external to that. Now it's all in one product.

10:08 am "The World's Thinnest Notebook"
    10:08 am As you know, Apple makes the best notebooks in the industry. Today, we are introducing a third kind of notebook. It's called the MacBook Air

I want to know MORE.

Yeah that's what I thought. I wonder if you can link terabytes, like 2 or 3 of these bitches - have another one at a different location in case your house burns down. This shit is ILL / exactly what the fuck I;m looking for.

I'm pretty sure, knowing apple, that it will have a couple of FW400 ports on it then you can daisy chain whatever external HD that you want on top of it.

Throw a coupla dees on that bitch:

tight fit b/w I look good on you

• edubedub 715 Posts

MacBook Air!

10:08 am "The World's Thinnest Notebook"
    10:08 am As you know, Apple makes the best notebooks in the industry. Today, we are introducing a third kind of notebook. It's called the MacBook Air

10:12 am MacBook Air is 0.16" to 0.76". The thickest part of the MacBook Air is thinner than the thinnest part of the Sony. It fits inside a envelope[/b]

10:20 am Other features: 45 Watt MagSafe, 1 USB 2.0 port[/b], Micro-DVI, Audio Out

Kills my Microwave upgrade dreams.

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    no fw, no audio in.

this is targeted at switchers for sure.

I don't think the stock will jump that much today. Watch that bite me in the arse.

• 10:12 am MacBook Air is 0.16" to 0.76". The thickest part of the MacBook Air is thinner than the thinnest part of the Sony. It fits inside a envelope[/b]

Damn. Laptops just got a whole lot easier to jack.

no fw, no audio in.

this is targeted at switchers for sure.

I don't think the stock will jump that much today. Watch that bite me in the arse.

It was down 7.50 when I last checked 5 minutes ago...

• 1 USB port, 80GB hard drive, no optical drive, $1799?

• bthavbthav 1,538 Posts
    1 USB port, 80GB hard drive, no optical drive, $1799?

shit fits in your butt crack though...

10:24 am $1799

Hell to the Nah...

• 1 USB port, 80GB hard drive, no optical drive, $1799?

shit fits in your butt crack though...

but that's where the stash at...

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    10:24 am $1799

Hell to the Nah...

SERIOUSLY. I mean, it's cool but for $1800?

It's a beautiful product, but at $1800 how many people are going to choose this over a MacBook or MacBook Pro? Yeah, it's thin. But it still has a 13.3" screen so it isn't much smaller than a MacBook. And without a Superdrive, firewire ports, etc, it just isn't that useful. I suppose if you grab a Time Capsul with it, you could hook up devices to that.

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    true question is how much will the flash upgrade be? Jobs didn't even try to sugarcoat it, just said outright it'll be a grip.

it'll sell, mad otaku apple folks out there. Plus it'll be a fashionable gadget to have, and we know how many mac users fall into that camp.

not for moi.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    Remote Disc bitches!

• $1799

YAHHHH TRICK YAHHHH

It's a beautiful product, but at $1800 how many people are going to choose this over a MacBook or MacBook Pro? Yeah, it's thin. But it still has a 13.3" screen so it isn't much smaller than a MacBook. And without a Superdrive, firewire ports, etc, it just isn't that useful. I suppose if you grab a Time Capsul with it, you could hook up devices to that.

Im an apple fanboy to the death, but i gotta agree. No superdrive?

ehhhhh.....

its pretty!

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    The other limitation is memory. 80GB seems mad small.

true question is how much will the flash upgrade be? Jobs didn't even try to sugarcoat it, just said outright it'll be a grip.

With the current specs, it's not worth the MSRP, much less with a SSD upgrade what market is this for?

Is it an expensive, crippled laptop? or an overpowered, ulta-capable UPMC?

I don't get it.

it'll sell, mad otaku apple folks out there. Plus it'll be a fashionable gadget to have, and we know how many mac users fall into that camp.

not for moi.

i guess it just proved to be too expesive. But i imagine that was the plan in the first place. Not even quoting a price is a little extreme though.

Randy Newman?