lyrics about sneakers ?

LawrenceLawrence 125 Posts
edited January 2008 in Strut Central
anyone know any rap songs with sneaker lines/ lyrics?

Comments

• DeeRockDeeRock 1,836 Posts
    Nas - I'm a Nike Head I wear chains that excite the feds

The Pack - Got my vans on but they look like sneakers

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    The Game mentions Air Force Ones and Air Max 95s multiple times on multiple songs on his first album.

• cool. anyone recognize the old skool rap tune they have used here?

"money in the bank" " sneakers on my feet"

http://mp3.juno.co.uk/MP3/SF1222186-02-01-02.mp3

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts
    uh...my adidas by this group called run dmc

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    Some old school artists were very loyal to their favorite brand of sneakers and would mention them often in their songs.

Run Dmc - Adidas
    Doug E. Fresh - Ballys
    MC Shan - Pumas

Here is one of my favorite old school joints involving sneakers, Doug E. Fresh and The Get Fresh Crew "All The Way to Heaven." There is a wild west shoot out between a pair of Ballys and Adidas superstars! COMEDY! I used to rock both back in the day. I was the only person I knew in the Seattle area rockin' Bally sneakers in the 80s. No place out here even sold them. I caught a couple pairs at Macy's in NYC when I was there visiting family.

"My name is Doug E. Fresh and I love to perform and you know I got to have my Ballys on."

• onetetonetet 1,754 Posts
    Parents Just Don't Understand...

• a pair of bright phat yellow Air Max hit the racks, snatch 'em up Son, $20 off no tax

SO IRL

• mrdeemrdee 29 Posts
    schoolly d - put your filas on

• a pair of bright phat yellow Air Max hit the racks, snatch 'em up Son, $20 off no tax

SO IRL

"You could pay three and buy yourself some Bapestas."

• nice track

• DeeRockDeeRock 1,836 Posts
    I was the only person I knew in the Seattle area rockin' Bally sneakers in the 80s

Stop lyin' son! You was in Tacoma. I WAS the 1st and only one rockin' bally's in Seatown. In fact I can tell you all about them. They were the "Pelham" style and I bought them from the Bally shop in NYC when I went out there for the New Music Seminar. I had mutltiple pair/colors. I had some super dope mustard color jump offs that NO ONE had. I know because they only made a few pair and sold them out of the NY store to test popularity b4 manufacturing them in mass amount for the rest of the world. That's what the sales guy told me anyway. I believe him because NY store always had different colors you could only get from them at that one shop. I tried to get them in the Seattle shop and they told me they didn't make them in that color and I had a pair on!!!! It used to kill me. I also, at that time went to find dapper dan to get one of those custom gucci or louis vuitton jump offs like Eric B and Rakim had. He wanted like $2000 and being a young buck at that time there was no way I could ever have that kind of dough! I worked weeks just to get a $150 pair of cazals and the same went for those damn bally's. Anyway long story short he had this gucci suit he made for some guy that left the deposit for it but never came to pick it up and I bought it for a few hundred bucks. It was about 3 sizes too big for me but I knew I would grow into it one day. Well, b4 that ever happend I got older and decided that suit was wack and donated it to a second hand store. Doh!!!! Now I wish I had kept it. Same thing with a "TROOP" track suit I had. They gave me a bunch of free stuff and I gave it all away cause I didn't want it all. I kept like one jacket and ended up giving it to a thrift store down the line as well. I do remember there was a dope ass Louis Vuitton goose down at dapper dan's place as well he was trying to sell me because the guy never picked it up and it said "Butter" across the back. I believe it was dj cutmaster butter's joint. Again way to big for me and out of my price range back then. I was like 15 years old. I noticed Busta Rhymes got a super ill joint on in the dj khaled I'm so hood video. Does anyone here at all know where to get something like that made nowadays? You can obviously do it since Busta is rockin one. I wish someone would do a story on dapper dan. I remember when Mike Tyson beat Mitch Green's ass at 4:00am in front of that place. I heard he was walking out with a custom POLO suit he had made. Do Remember that Dapper Dan's was opened 24hours. Hmmm.................... Sound just a bit suspicious at all? Lol...

Just dug this up through a google search: The Black Style Now exhibit at the Museum of the City of New York is a multifaceted tour of African-American influence on fashion, from celebrity style icons to historical photos and media images to talented designers and their work. Among these original creations I particularly enjoyed seeing Jeffrey Banks' "classics with a twist" and Sistahs of Harlem's "street couture," as well as Stephen Burrows' landmark contributions from the late 1960s and early 1970s.

But I was stopped in my Counterfeit Chic tracks when I reached the hip-hop section of the exhibit. The association between established fashion brands and rap or hip-hop artists is frequently noted, as is the copyright controversy surrounding the practice of "sampling" bits of others' music to create new works. Less popular attention, however, has been accorded the contemporaneous practice of "sampling" luxury logos to create new fashion.

In describing this glazed calfskin topcoat screened with the LV logo, the curator notes, "In the early 1980s, Harlem-based design entrepreneur Dapper Dan recognized the selling power of luxury. He created customized high-end products that incorporated highly recognizable accessory logos like those of Gucci and Louis Vuitton, featuring them in non-traditional ways. His clients included Biz Markie, Salt-N-Peppa, Big Daddy Kane, Roxane Shante, and Don King. Before Nike itself started making clothing, Dapper Dan created apparel with the Nike logo. The result: one-of-a-kind clothing that provided the wearer with instant visibility."

In artistic terms, music sampling and the incorporation of luxury logos into new works of fashion appear to flow from a similar approach to creativity.

In legal terms, however, the "sampling" of a designer logo is distinct from music sampling. In addition to the difference in intellectual property regimes -- trademark for the former, copyright for the latter -- it is far more likely that the sampler will use an entire logo as compared with a few seconds of a musical work.

But should trademark owners object or look the other way? It's a matter of degree and of business strategy. Depending on the quality, transformative nature, and scale of distribution of the work, creations like Dapper Dan's aren't necessarily bad for the trademark holder. In the right hands, street fashion can make established labels newly trendy by association, much the way that fan fiction strengthens ties between consumers and an existing creative structure. The MCNY curator's description even raises the question of whether Nike was inspired by Dapper Dan, in addition to the reverse. In the wrong hands, however, sampling is little more than simple counterfeiting -- a trademark holder's worst nightmare. Moreover, trademark owners must police their marks or risk their becoming generic.

As in the case of music, African-American styles from zoot suits to modern urban streetwear have historically been more likely to be appropriated by mainstream culture than to appropriate it -- a circumstance over which creative designers have no legal control. The rise of luxury logos and their appeal to hip-hop culture have prompted examples of appropriation in the other direction.

P.S. For more on the branding and modern culture, check out Rob Walker's insights on Murketing or his NYT Magazine Consumed column on "Tribute Brands."

• This thread happened last year, you might be able to google it.

Seagram - Sleepin' In My Nikes

Lil Scrappy - F.I.L.A.

• waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts
    Parents Just Don't Understand...

b/w

Yeah, I got on sneaks but I need a new pair because basketball courts in the summer got girls there.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    I was the only person I knew in the Seattle area rockin' Bally sneakers in the 80s

Stop lyin' son! You was in Tacoma. I WAS the 1st and only one rockin' bally's in Seatown. In fact I can tell you all about them. They were the "Pelham" style and I bought them from the Bally shop in NYC when I went out there for the New Music Seminar. I had mutltiple pair/colors. I had some super dope mustard color jump offs that NO ONE had. I know because they only made a few pair and sold them out of the NY store to test popularity b4 manufacturing them in mass amount for the rest of the world. That's what the sales guy told me anyway. I believe him because NY store always had different colors you could only get from them at that one shop. I tried to get them in the Seattle shop and they told me they didn't make them in that color and I had a pair on!!!! It used to kill me. I also, at that time went to find dapper dan to get one of those custom gucci or louis vuitton jump offs like Eric B and Rakim had. He wanted like $2000 and being a young buck at that time there was no way I could ever have that kind of dough! I worked weeks just to get a $150 pair of cazals and the same went for those damn bally's. Anyway long story short he had this gucci suit he made for some guy that left the deposit for it but never came to pick it up and I bought it for a few hundred bucks. It was about 3 sizes too big for me but I knew I would grow into it one day. Well, b4 that ever happend I got older and decided that suit was wack and donated it to a second hand store. Doh!!!! Now I wish I had kept it. Same thing with a "TROOP" track suit I had. They gave me a bunch of free stuff and I gave it all away cause I didn't want it all. I kept like one jacket and ended up giving it to a thrift store down the line as well. I do remember there was a dope ass Louis Vuitton goose down at dapper dan's place as well he was trying to sell me because the guy never picked it up and it said "Butter" across the back. I believe it was dj cutmaster butter's joint. Again way to big for me and out of my price range back then. I was like 15 years old. I noticed Busta Rhymes got a super ill joint on in the dj khaled I'm so hood video. Does anyone here at all know where to get something like that made nowadays? You can obviously do it since Busta is rockin one. I wish someone would do a story on dapper dan. I remember when Mike Tyson beat Mitch Green's ass at 4:00am in front of that place. I heard he was walking out with a custom POLO suit he had made. Do Remember that Dapper Dan's was opened 24hours. Hmmm.................... Sound just a bit suspicious at all? Lol...

Just dug this up through a google search: The Black Style Now exhibit at the Museum of the City of New York is a multifaceted tour of African-American influence on fashion, from celebrity style icons to historical photos and media images to talented designers and their work. Among these original creations I particularly enjoyed seeing Jeffrey Banks' "classics with a twist" and Sistahs of Harlem's "street couture," as well as Stephen Burrows' landmark contributions from the late 1960s and early 1970s.

But I was stopped in my Counterfeit Chic tracks when I reached the hip-hop section of the exhibit. The association between established fashion brands and rap or hip-hop artists is frequently noted, as is the copyright controversy surrounding the practice of "sampling" bits of others' music to create new works. Less popular attention, however, has been accorded the contemporaneous practice of "sampling" luxury logos to create new fashion.

In describing this glazed calfskin topcoat screened with the LV logo, the curator notes, "In the early 1980s, Harlem-based design entrepreneur Dapper Dan recognized the selling power of luxury. He created customized high-end products that incorporated highly recognizable accessory logos like those of Gucci and Louis Vuitton, featuring them in non-traditional ways. His clients included Biz Markie, Salt-N-Peppa, Big Daddy Kane, Roxane Shante, and Don King. Before Nike itself started making clothing, Dapper Dan created apparel with the Nike logo. The result: one-of-a-kind clothing that provided the wearer with instant visibility."

In artistic terms, music sampling and the incorporation of luxury logos into new works of fashion appear to flow from a similar approach to creativity.

In legal terms, however, the "sampling" of a designer logo is distinct from music sampling. In addition to the difference in intellectual property regimes -- trademark for the former, copyright for the latter -- it is far more likely that the sampler will use an entire logo as compared with a few seconds of a musical work.

But should trademark owners object or look the other way? It's a matter of degree and of business strategy. Depending on the quality, transformative nature, and scale of distribution of the work, creations like Dapper Dan's aren't necessarily bad for the trademark holder. In the right hands, street fashion can make established labels newly trendy by association, much the way that fan fiction strengthens ties between consumers and an existing creative structure. The MCNY curator's description even raises the question of whether Nike was inspired by Dapper Dan, in addition to the reverse. In the wrong hands, however, sampling is little more than simple counterfeiting -- a trademark holder's worst nightmare. Moreover, trademark owners must police their marks or risk their becoming generic.

As in the case of music, African-American styles from zoot suits to modern urban streetwear have historically been more likely to be appropriated by mainstream culture than to appropriate it -- a circumstance over which creative designers have no legal control. The rise of luxury logos and their appeal to hip-hop culture have prompted examples of appropriation in the other direction.

P.S. For more on the branding and modern culture, check out Rob Walker's insights on Murketing or his NYT Magazine Consumed column on "Tribute Brands."

Dope.

I wish someone would do a story on dapper dan.[/b]

Word the fuck up.

• erewhonerewhon 1,123 Posts
    I'm partial to Busy Bee repping Converse. Also, MC Shan perpetuating the KKK rumor regarding Troops is pretty classic.

• was that Troop thing true?

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    was that Troop thing true?

Industry myth created by the competition bacause TROOPS specifically catered to the Local Black Exp.

I forgot what the street meaning for T.r.o.o.p.s. was. They were trash sneakers and always will be. Fuck that wanna be retro shit. Dudes w/ bad taste in gear wore that shit. Fuckin downright game abomination.
    Shit was bad quality and all that shit.

But i cant hatt that they did focus on my demographic. proto FUBU.

"For you suckers,who attempt to wear TROOPS
    But Im an A-ONE General..."

• erewhonerewhon 1,123 Posts

I forgot what the street meaning for T.r.o.o.p.

T[/b]o R[/b]ule O[/b]ver O[/b]ppressed P[/b]eople

One of the best/stupidest rumours ever.

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts
    "always rock Adidas, never rock fila...." - Beastie Boys

"You exit, x-off, but what you really get:
    A box of newports, and puma sweats (damn!)" - 3rd Bass

• onetetonetet 1,754 Posts
    "always rock Adidas, never rock fila...." - Beastie Boys

and yet...

"Step into the party with the Fila fresh gear / People looking at me like I was David Koresh here."

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,890 Posts
    "Styles upon styles upon styles is what I have
    You wanna diss the Phifer but you still don't know the half
    I sport New Balance sneakers to avoid a narrow path
    Messin round with this you catch the sizin of em"

- A Tribe Called Quest - "Buggin' Out"

• this thread is kinda bugged because it's like asking "lyrics about beef?" you'll never quote em all, and the ones you do, there's 10 more better...

"i'm an addict for sneakers, 20's of buddah, and bitches with beepers"

"with the kangol sneakers and the wide shoe strings, wonderin where he from and how he do things"

"pair of bright phat yellow air max, hit the racks, stack em up son, $20 off no tax"

• "Styles upon styles upon styles is what I have
    You wanna diss the Phifer but you still don't know the half
    I sport New Balance sneakers to avoid a narrow path
    Messin round with this you catch the sizin of em"

- A Tribe Called Quest - "Buggin' Out"

isn't it "size 9 and a half"?

also, isnt there the Nelly song "Air Force 1s"?

And no one has ever mentioned Diadora? I loved those suede joints from back in the day.

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,890 Posts

isn't it "size 9 and a half"?

it could be. i just cut and paste the lyrics from another site and was having trouble remembering myself.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    "You exit, x-off, but what you really get:
    A box of newports, and puma sweats (damn!)" - 3rd Bass

Puma sweats = Track suit/Hoodie/Jooger pants/breakaways....

Not the kicks.