Ubiquity Records

phongonephongone 1,652 Posts
edited December 2007 in Strut Central
When was the last time Ubiquity Records put out some quality joints? The first "Rewind" comps were good and I've always checked for Greyboy's stuff, but have they put out anything new worth checking for? I remember Ubiquity was considered one of the hotter boutique labels in late 90's/early 00's.

Comments

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    Repping my home country:

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts

• Ohmega Watts, watts happening
    Platinum Pied Pipers triple p are some good one

love and haight are also a subsidiary of ubiquity correct? they are re-issuing some serious joints.

• Ohmega Watts, watts happening

love and haight are also a subsidiary of ubiquity correct? they are re-issuing some serious joints.

they're nic people - but the only "cool" thing they put out was sa-ra...

• Some of the best things they have released are stuff they're distributing in the U.S., such as albums on Tru-Thoughts.

• jimeyjimey 279 Posts
    choices ep 1 and 2 are good

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    an A&R man contacted me before i put out my first 45 wanting me to put a 12" out for them...didnt have anything ready for them though so it never happened.

• gravelheadwrapgravelheadwrap corn 948 Posts
    choices ep 1 and 2 are good

Thats what I was about to say, those are recent releases that I reaally like.

• huge co-sign on the owasu LP, PPP, and they're going to do the next SA-RA Full Length. And word on Ohmega's joint, is pretty decent.

• an A&R man contacted me before i put out my first 45 wanting me to put a 12" out for them...didnt have anything ready for them though so it never happened.

...so you couldn't have just followed up on later when you DID have something ready?

Or was it that simple?

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    an A&R man contacted me before i put out my first 45 wanting me to put a 12" out for them...didnt have anything ready for them though so it never happened.

...so you couldn't have just followed up on later when you DID have something ready?

Or was it that simple?

funny thing is when i was ready the guy apparently didnt work there anymore....haha

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts
    I like that radio citizen album...

• I really appreciate ubiquity records. not everything i have herd them put out has hit with my but they are very diverse in their sense of musicality.

• "Ohmega Watts, watts happening

love and haight are also a subsidiary of ubiquity correct? they are re-issuing some serious joints."

• Ubiquity was my favorite label for contemporary music for a long time, and I used to pick up just about everything they put out. I loved the Cubop and Luv N' Haight imprints, particularly.

They haven't resonated with me in a long time; I keep checking back and it just doesn't hit me like it used to.

It's a bit of a void for me now. I still call them my favorite contemporary domestic label, though.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    prepare thyselves for pure
    dropping in '08

• gravelheadwrapgravelheadwrap corn 948 Posts
    dropping in '08

I'm anxious to hear this.

PPP was very dope, I thought the album was a little bit of a let down compared to all the 12"s. Still good though. Glad to hear Sa-Ra's next album is being released by Ubiquity, seems like a good label for them as far as the type of exposure they'll get.

I like their clothing too.

Damn Ako, thats pretty cool they tried to get you 12" release.

• phongonephongone 1,652 Posts
    dropping in '08

What is this about? Looks like a reggae-ish joint.

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    http://www.myspace.com/lionsbread

The Lions are Dan Ubicks new roots group.

Cool sounds, can't wait for the LP.

- spidey

• Ubiquity and Luv n Haight played an important role for me in finding out about great music in the mid 90's. I was completely blank and thanks to compilations like Deja Vu, Bag of Goodies, Hip City I was able to discover all these great artists.
    CuBop also became a favorite.

• "Ohmega Watts, watts happening

dude is kind of corny, no?

truthfully, so is most of the ubiquity roster...

• I don't wanna bring the hate, but speaking of corn...does anybody else besides me find those Gilles Peterson comps a little sappy and middle-of-the-road? OK, I know that he's more of a laid-back jazz type and if I want chicken-chokin' funk I should get a Keb Darge anthology, but GOD DAMN...you'd think with two houses full of records he'd come up with some better shit than that! Seems like he goes for every pseudo-Nancy Wilson and poor-man's-Jarreau that ever stepped in front of a mike 30 years ago!

• Some of the best things they have released are stuff they're distributing in the U.S., such as albums on Tru-Thoughts.

didn't know that about them. The last Quantic Soul ORchestra album is hella fresh, and I love they packaged the LP with a full CD version as well. SAved me the time of ripping it to MP3.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    I don't wanna bring the hate, but speaking of corn...does anybody else besides me find those Gilles Peterson comps a little sappy and middle-of-the-road? OK, I know that he's more of a laid-back jazz type and if I want chicken-chokin' funk I should get a Keb Darge anthology, but GOD DAMN...you'd think with two houses full of records he'd come up with some better shit than that! Seems like he goes for every pseudo-Nancy Wilson and poor-man's-Jarreau that ever stepped in front of a mike 30 years ago!

I thought the first one was very, very strong. The second one was more "meh" to me but to me, it's the nature of these kinds of comps, esp. since I don't think Gilles is out to out-son everyone else. That said, it can be an acquired flavor.

• not down with gilles comps ... but i did dig this ..

• I don't wanna bring the hate, but speaking of corn...does anybody else besides me find those Gilles Peterson comps a little sappy and middle-of-the-road? OK, I know that he's more of a laid-back jazz type and if I want chicken-chokin' funk I should get a Keb Darge anthology, but GOD DAMN...you'd think with two houses full of records he'd come up with some better shit than that! Seems like he goes for every pseudo-Nancy Wilson and poor-man's-Jarreau that ever stepped in front of a mike 30 years ago!

I thought the first one was very, very strong. The second one was more "meh" to me but to me, it's the nature of these kinds of comps, esp. since I don't think Gilles is out to out-son everyone else.

If by "out-son" you mean "out-obscure"...the rarity of the tracks don't bother me, I guess it's just the weird easy-listening bent (I don't know how else to describe it) of the tracks, especially since a lot of the stuff I've read about Peterson makes him out to be DJ King Funk or something.

• Ubiquity and Luv n Haight played an important role for me in finding out about great music in the mid 90's. I was completely blank and thanks to compilations like Deja Vu, Bag of Goodies, Hip City I was able to discover all these great artists.

I learned about a lot of great music through those comps too. Also snagged some good records that I wouldn't have looked at if I hadn't heard the artists first. (Johnny Frigo comes to mind.)

• piedpiperpiedpiper 1,279 Posts
    I like that radio citizen album...

I saw them live a couple of weeks ago and that was great as well.