Fab 5 Freddy,Basquiat,& Futura 2000 wall found....

SouthCrackalackSouthCrackalack 3,853 Posts
edited December 2007 in Strut Central
A graffiti wall with drawings by original graffiti subway artists Fab Five Freddy, Futura 2000 and some traces by Jean-Michel Basquiat is seen Tuesday, Nov. 27, 2007 in New York. The large mural, created by some of graffiti???s earliest pioneers, was discovered recently in a 10-story limestone building just as developers were converting it into luxury condominiums. (Mary Altaffer, Associated Press / November 27, 2007)

Comments

• there is already a thread about this. Just don't read the comments on the page. They'll piss you off

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    so what are they gonna do? try to detatch it and put it in a museum? seeing that makes me feel reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeally weird in the best way. like....really Frickin' good weird.

damn.

• there is already a thread about this. Just don't read the comments on the page. They'll piss you off

Oh, my bad..didnt see it. Thanks for the heads up.

• I cant seem to find the original post about this...gotta link? Of course by telling me not to read the comments is making me immediately WANT to read em.

I cant seem to find the original post about this...gotta link? Of course by telling me not to read the comments is making me immediately WANT to read em.

yeah, i cant find the thread either.

i bet all the comments are either racist, anti-grafitti, or somebody arguing with another person posting.

dont prove me right...i wanna enjoy this as-is.

• Wow..early 70's steez

• "TYPICAL NEWSDAY LIBERAL ARTICLE...EMBRACING CRIME!"

• Tom in North Carolina had this to add..

"ITS LAME LOW IQ BLACK WANNABE ART. A MONKEY COULD DO IT BETTER."

Good thing their wasn't any black guys involved in this "black wannabe art"

• i think he might've meant more towards "black wannabe-art" which is def no better look.

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts

Really cool on so many levels of preservation of history and culture. This is probably not "white enough" for the developer to keep. That wall should be sealed and displayed as a clubhouse/workout room for the condo's but it won't.

• The original post called this modern archaeology, which is a cool concept.

I read the article the other day, but I thought it implied that they would be transferring a thin later of the plaster to some other medium in order to preserve it.

Also, it reminded me of this:
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/11951597/

• Wow..early 70's steez

What is this all about? Is there an accompanying article?

• Nah, no article..it was on some blog I came across earlier. But, in case you are not aware of who they are(even though you probably do), here is something written by Zephyr that pretty much sums them up..

>>
    During the early 1970s when aerosol art was in its formative stages several young women participated in the male dominated field. Two of these women were the partners BARBARA 62 and EVA 62 from Manhattan. They were not necessarily the first female writers, but they were among the earliest to become widely recognized and respected.

They would become the most well known female writers of their time. They wrote on the subways and streets of New York City. As with most writers of the time period, their graffiti was limited to tags and tags outlined with an additional color. Their names were seen along side legends of the day such as LEE163rd, SUPER KOOL 223, PHASE 2 and Many others. BARBARA 62 and EVA 62 are acknowledged for their prolific writing. They paved the way for future generations of female writers.

Photos courtesy of ZEPHYR.

• Thanks, I'm aware of those names, but I was just curious if this was something rediscovered, along the same lines as the wall above.

When you think about it, it makes sense that there would be hidden pieces all over the place from (relative) ages ago... most of them aren't Basquiat's though (and thus, "aren't worth shit"), so they get no shine.

Nah, no article..it was on some blog I came across earlier. But, in case you are not aware of who they are(even though you probably do), here is something written by Zephyr that pretty much sums them up..

>>
    During the early 1970s when aerosol art was in its formative stages several young women participated in the male dominated field. Two of these women were the partners BARBARA 62 and EVA 62 from Manhattan. They were not necessarily the first female writers, but they were among the earliest to become widely recognized and respected.

They would become the most well known female writers of their time. They wrote on the subways and streets of New York City. As with most writers of the time period, their graffiti was limited to tags and tags outlined with an additional color. Their names were seen along side legends of the day such as LEE163rd, SUPER KOOL 223, PHASE 2 and Many others. BARBARA 62 and EVA 62 are acknowledged for their prolific writing. They paved the way for future generations of female writers.

Photos courtesy of ZEPHYR.

• I agree most of those comments were pretty stupid and ignorant.

However, as cool as this is I dont really get it. I mean I like graffiti but both Basquiat and Futura are pretty well documented and I dont see why this wall should be considered to be among their important works of art. Its cool when this kind of stuff shows up though.

Fab 5 never really did anything too amazing except maybe for being a part of the christmas wholetrain. Correct me if Im wrong...

I would love to read an interview with Barbara and Eva 62. Where are they?

Peace,

Dress

However, as cool as this is I dont really get it. I mean I like graffiti but both Basquiat and Futura are pretty well documented and I dont see why this wall should be considered to be among their important works of art. Its cool when this kind of stuff shows up though.

maybe but i'd say finding an actual wall preserved like this is a pretty great find, its like finding a hand-written shakespeare play vs. reading it typed in a book. bad comparison.

anybody know the fate of this wall yet? is there a way to preserve it by taking the whole wall, or something like that? regardless of the importance of this piece inparticular, i think this is definitely something that i should be able to go see in person someday if i want.

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    While it's cool that they found this, it's basically a lot of tags and Fab 5 Freddy drawing an airplane.

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    anybody know the fate of this wall yet? is there a way to preserve it by taking the whole wall, or something like that? regardless of the importance of this piece inparticular, i think this is definitely something that i should be able to go see in person someday if i want.

if yall actually read the article, it says its already been removed and it will be on display i think at the brooklyn museum of modern art or somesuch place in nyc.

mabye in years previous it would have just gotten torn down, but basqiat paitings selling for millions makes it all crazy. They halted all development on the renovations and went in there like it was an egyptian tomb searching for more.

Plus, the early 80's are huge right now, so id expect to see more shit like this.

pretty cool though. I dont think the actual piece is anything visually remarkable, but its cool that they found it intact so many years later.

• CraigCraig 269 Posts
    I agree most of those comments were pretty stupid and ignorant.

Fab 5 never really did anything too amazing except maybe for being a part of the christmas wholetrain. Correct me if Im wrong...

I would love to read an interview with Barbara and Eva 62. Where are they?

Peace,

Dress

I know fred was down with lee and stuff but I wasn't aware he was part of a christmas whole train. The fablious 5 did one (well mostly done by lee by all accounts although slug and mono did help).

• I thought that Lee did most of the Fab 5 wholetrain but the others did at least a car each. Is that not right?

The whole story is in Getting Up which I havent read for a couple of years.

Peace,

Dress

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts
    Could someone upload the article everyone is talking about please, I can't find it?! It would stop me from posting more about it.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Arguably graffiti as we know it started in Philadelphia. Even before Barbara and Eva there was "Bobby Beck In '66" who was citywide in Philly. We all know that "STYLE" was born in Philly so we shouldn't get that twisted - word to 'Bread.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts

^That's vandalism of private property.

• Yep. Yes it is.

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    Arguably graffiti as we know it started in Philadelphia. Even before Barbara and Eva there was "Bobby Beck In '66" who was citywide in Philly. We all know that "STYLE" was born in Philly so we shouldn't get that twisted - word to 'Bread.

I wonder when the earliest examples of graffiti originated in Sao Paolo?

- spidey

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    Yep. Yes it is.
    They should be fined and caned.