Fab 5 Freddy,Basquiat,& Futura 2000 wall found....

2»

Comments

• Am I the only one who is sorta surprised this wall wasn't immediately torn down without anyone ever having known about it in the first place?

I mean, who is the construction worker who had been tasked with tearing down this particular wall on this particular day and happened to be so well-versed in early graf history as to halt the project in order for this thing to be verified and preserved?

I think most people would just see a bunch of spraypaint scribbles and not think twice about tearing it down. chances are there were one or two guys working on that corner and the chances of it having been obliterated and no one ever having known are real high...

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    Am I the only one who is sorta surprised this wall wasn't immediately torn down without anyone ever having known about it in the first place?

I mean, who is the construction worker who had been tasked with tearing down this particular wall on this particular day and happened to be so well-versed in early graf history as to halt the project in order for this thing to be verified and preserved?

I think most people would just see a bunch of spraypaint scribbles and not think twice about tearing it down. chances are there were one or two guys working on that corner and the chances of it having been obliterated and no one ever having known are real high...

If you read the OG article.

The developers, Michael and Izak Namer, purchased the building in 2004, and had long heard rumors about some hidden art within its walls. But they dismissed them even after Rite-Art magazine editor deAk, who moved out in 1984, told them: "There is a Basquiat, and it's somewhere where you won't think it is."

Basquiat or not (DeAk did not return calls for comment), the mystery was solved last year by Michael Namer's son, Matthew, who was then living in the loft-turned-two-bedroom apartment.[/b]

"He started to poke around, climbs on the kitchen cabinets and opens up a little piece," says Namer.

• TAGS AND THROW UP SHOW N.J.

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    Arguably graffiti as we know it started in Philadelphia. Even before Barbara and Eva there was "Bobby Beck In '66" who was citywide in Philly. We all know that "STYLE" was born in Philly so we shouldn't get that twisted - word to 'Bread.

Thank you for mentioning this. I went to see the documentary about Cornbread a couple months ago and he spoke afterward. Worth checking out for a history lesson on the artform.

Here's a clip:

And an article:

NO ROOFTOP WAS SAFE