Blazing Downtempo / Electronic Suggestions

RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
edited December 2007 in Strut Central
So... My aging self is listening to a lot more "background" type music preferably electronic and balzing downtempo. I'm getting kind of sick of my staples which include:Aphex Twin: I Care Because You DoBoards of CanadaSavath & SavalasCaural - Stars on My CelingPlease to Recommend mOre?

Comments

• If you haven't spent any quality time the Stereolab, nows a good a time as any.

Dots and Loops would be my suggested entry point

• I don't know if this is exactly the kind of stuff you're looking for, but I discovered a band called Track N Field that they play on the XM Chill channel all the time. I liked them so much I actually paid to download their album since it's the only way I could get it (and I *never* pay for downloads...that's the first time ever). You can check out their stuff here:

http://www.myspace.com/tracknfieldmarathon

The track I heard on XM that I dug a lot was "American Grizzly" but I dig the overall vibe of the whole album.

• Check out Freescha "What's Come Inside of You" or either of the Ulrich Schnauss records although I like the second one. The Tycho record is kind of cool. Am-Boy. Bola. This shit is not new by any means but it's what I listened to when I listened to those sounds quite a bit.

• Anything on the Cookin' Record label. It is an offshoot of Good Looking/Looking Good Record label -- a DrumnBass label out of the UK head up by LTJ Bukem and Tony. Cookin is the imprint where they focus on more of the downtempo, broken beat, hiphop soulful sounding stuff. Really dope label.

Get artists names from discogs.com cookin info.

Also this isn't really downtempo but you might dig some of the more soulful drumnbass (liquid) or atmospheric stuff like artists such as:

Blu Mar Ten
    Future Engineers
    Paradox
    Marcus Intallex & ST Files
    Calibre
    High Contrast
    Brooklyn
    Seba
    Makoto
    Marky & XRS
    Klute
    Mathmatics
    D Bridge
    Nookie
    Nu:tone
    Carlito & Addiction
    Kubiks

Put that in your Soulseek and smoke it.

Also check out Amon Tobin and anything on Ninja Tune.

• sixtoo- Jackals & Vipers In Envy Of Man lp
    joe beats- diverse recourse lp
    blockhead & dj signify-nobodys smiling 7in

I always dug the Villain Accelerate album...kinda in this vein.

• it's old (1994), but i dig sabres of paradise's haunted dancehall (warp)...

• it's old (1994), but i dig sabres of paradise's haunted dancehall (warp)...

Great record.

• verb606verb606 2,518 Posts
    sixtoo- Jackals & Vipers In Envy Of Man lp

I always dug the Villain Accelerate album...kinda in this vein.

VA is Sixtoo and Stig of the Dump, no?

Blockhead's instrumental outings are always a good look, IMO.

• mickalphabetmickalphabet deep inna majestic segue 374 Posts
    So... My aging self is listening to a lot more "background" type music preferably electronic and balzing downtempo. I'm getting kind of sick of my staples which include:

Aphex Twin: I Care Because You Do
    Boards of Canada
    Savath & Savalas
    Caural - Stars on My Celing

Please to Recommend mOre?

got these?

bola - soup
    autechre - amber / tri repetae
    the orb - orbus terravum

or for quick fix you could do worse then check some free 30 minute long net releases from our label ... last three in particular

ABCNET009 | Fringe ...'Chairs'
    ABCNET008 | SOLEN ...'Contextual Healing'
    ABCNET007 | THALAMUS ...'Theta Bear'

http://www.alphabetset.net/

• Bonobo's album Dial M for Monkey is a personal classic to me. Might be more on the housier side of things, but make sure to check out Etienne de Crecy's Tempovision too.. awesome record (plus Am I Wrong kinda predates the sound of the second 'French Wave')

• i like pretty much anything on
    www.dcrecordings.com , which is j saul kane's label.

from newish, krauty stuff like
    orichalc phase, and the emperor machine, to
    depth charge, which is pretty banging downtempo

highly recommended.

Also, if you havn't already check out Joey Beats "indie rock blues"...Shit is amazing!

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    Raj, peep out the Mo'Wax catalog, there is a really broad range of stuff on the label that you might be into like Andrea Parker, etc.

Also, I've been getting into newer not entirely electronic stuff like Album Leaf, Broken Social Scene, etc. Really nice atmospheric stuff, catching up on the indie hype.

Can anyone inform us on the really new aka 2000-2007 atmospheric stuff? I know there's a ton...

And can anyone recommend solid QUALITY NON CHEESY, NON DISCO/HOUSE BASED lounge/hotel costes type stuff? I'm not into the house-y stuff but more into it for the atmosphere...and there are a ton of comps out there..I don't know where to start..UK /Euro heads I'm looking in your direction for some reason...

• Yea sixtoo - Duration is also a classic. Insomniac Olympics by blockhead. 10 seconds by jel.

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts

Funki Porcini - "Fast Asleep"

• DJAckDJAck 255 Posts
    Raj, peep out the Mo'Wax catalog, there is a really broad range of stuff on the label that you might be into like Andrea Parker, etc.

Also, I've been getting into newer not entirely electronic stuff like Album Leaf, Broken Social Scene, etc. Really nice atmospheric stuff, catching up on the indie hype.

Can anyone inform us on the really new aka 2000-2007 atmospheric stuff? I know there's a ton...

And can anyone recommend solid QUALITY NON CHEESY, NON DISCO/HOUSE BASED lounge/hotel costes type stuff? I'm not into the house-y stuff but more into it for the atmosphere...and there are a ton of comps out there..I don't know where to start..UK /Euro heads I'm looking in your direction for some reason...

my friend is a music director at a swanky restaurant/lounge and they throw in any of the Buddha Lounge comps during the early hours of the night. sounds like what you're looking for...

• jaysusjaysus 787 Posts
    Milosh - The City (Meme)
    Hotter than magma!

• kalakala 3,358 Posts
    squarepusher-hard normal daddy
    feed me weird things
    ultravisitor

• hearty cosign on stereolab and the bonobo albums mentioned. I like my donwtempo earthy and organic, and would like to add

express rising - st (dante carfegna on memphix)
    the rehash stuff obviously
    tortoise - millions now living will never die ("postrock" - hate the term - from 1996)

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    Sorceror - White Magic

• on bonobo.

And nightmares on wax's "in a space, outta sound" is pretty darn good. it came out in 2006 but kind of went back to their earlier style. Also, if you can find it, NOW's Late Night Tales mix is

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    Nightmares on Wax stuff.
    Protection remixed by Mad Professor
    Tommy Guerrero- Soul Food Taqueria
    J-Walk- A night on the rocks

• i put up a mix of some more recent blazing downtempo titled "blazing downtempo mix" a couple months ago. myspace.com/dreas then click on my blog.

• Don't Sleep:

taste test for you:

both cd and digital mp3's can be purchased at ttable lab, or groovedis or here: KidGusto - KG Originals

[/shameless promo]

• jimeyjimey 279 Posts
    dimlite

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    Can't believe no one mentioned this, but, for me, this is the watershed. This one stood the test of time and might have even gotten better. I would feel comfortable throwing out a vast majority of my downtempo records but never this.

• oh yeah don't sleep on "Free The Robots"

• some albums that come to my thought:

white rainbow-prism of the eternal now
    kruder&dorfmeister-g-stoned
    kim hiorthoy-hopeness
    boxcutter-glyphic / digital mystikz-magnetic city / health-s/t (i find good, current dub-step to be chill 'backround' music)
    ??-kantamoninen
    fennesz-venice and also endless summer
    clark-body riddle
    express rising-s/t (along w/ the other memphix 45s)
    afx-ambient works vol 1 & 2
    triosk-the headlight serenades
    triosk meets jan jelinek-1 + 3 + 1
    jan jelinek-loop finding jazz records
    jan jelinek-kosmischer pitch
    MHE-000-015
    GB-Soundtrack for Sunrise

• Lotta great suggestions posted.... HUGE cosign on the Mo'Wax... the bulk of their stuff released up until 96/97 is the straight dope... could start with the first HEADZ comp... good a place as any to start and IMO the best comp of its kind...

Too many great releases on Ninja Tune and Warp from this period as well.... again, their comps would be a good starting point...

Kruder & Dorfmeister also tops... especially IMO the G-Stoned EP... K&D Sessions is tight as well but it's a collection of remixes... just sayin...

Also check the stuff on Yellow Records outta France eg. early Mighty Bop, Ingrid De Lambre.... the first SourceLab comp is also nice for more of the euro flavour...

Who here's down with DJ Smash's New Breed label?!? Could never get enough of this stuff and suprisingly haven't found that many people who feel the same... will never tire of the Kromozone & Prunes EP's...