Blazing Downtempo / Electronic Suggestions

Comments

• this mix is the truth...all early ninja tune mixed by dj krush and coldcut: http://www.ninjatune.net/ninja/release.php?id=162

• doomdoom 305 Posts
    Who here's down with DJ Smash's New Breed label?!? Could never get enough of this stuff and suprisingly haven't found that many people who feel the same... will never tire of the Kromozone & Prunes EP's...

I love the prunes but never checked out the Khromozomes, is it similiar in style? How does the rest on the label sound?

• DJFerrariDJFerrari 2,411 Posts
    Meatyogre has this genre on lockdown... just gotta put more stuff out there *ahem*

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts
    Just PM Meaty and have him send you some of his beats.

EDIT: Yeah, what Ferrari said.

• piedpiperpiedpiper 1,279 Posts
    To add a few "classics": Peace Orchestra LP and the Tosca Suzuki LP. I still enjoy the Thievery Corporation Sounds from the Thievery Hifi LP as well. They did a lot of mediocre crap, but this is hot fire.

For recent additions I would recommend stuff from Quantic and other tru thoughts acts, Dimlite, Forss, Radio Citizen. There is quite some new stuff on Ubiquity and sonarkollektiv.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    hearty cosign on stereolab and the bonobo albums mentioned. I like my donwtempo earthy and organic, and would like to add

express rising - st (dante carfegna on memphix)
    the rehash stuff obviously
    tortoise - millions now living will never die ("postrock" - hate the term - from 1996)

pretty much exactly my recomendations...i have 3 of these mixes containing these artists
    check thine pms in the coming days

• kicks79kicks79 1,334 Posts
    this mix is the truth...all early ninja tune mixed by dj krush and coldcut: http://www.ninjatune.net/ninja/release.php?id=162

Dope mix... Me and my girl of a few years back used to religiously fall asleep listening to that album, Can't really listen to it any more just heard it too many times. I find a lot of the mo wax stuff dosn't really stand the test of time.

• DJ Krush is the gawd.

Maybe not his best album, but I would recommend the album DJ Krush & Toshinori Kondo "Ki-Oku"

It is about as chill as you can get, amazing nighttime, city driving music.

• Bent
    As One
    Blue States
    Caia
    Boards of Canada
    Lemon Jelly
    Hood
    Herbert
    karminsky experience
    Fragile State
    Jaga jazzist
    M83
    Loscil
    Any of the Another Late Night series

I love me some downtempo/chillout/low-fi noises.....not to mention minimal!! indeed

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts
    ...not to mention minimal!! indeed

If you haven't heard that Marcel Turkowsky "Night Tapes" album, you should probably check it out.

• GnatGnat 1,183 Posts
    You would dig Quantic's "Mishaps Happening"...that's a downtempto-esque part of what he does. Quantic is fuckin' fire in my humble ass opinion.

Trees and Seas is a beautiful song.

• catalistcatalist 1,373 Posts
    You would dig Quantic's "Mishaps Happening"...that's a downtempto-esque part of what he does. Quantic is fuckin' fire in my humble ass opinion.

One of my favorite albums + producers of this decade.

• Who here's down with DJ Smash's New Breed label?!? Could never get enough of this stuff and suprisingly haven't found that many people who feel the same... will never tire of the Kromozone & Prunes EP's...

I love the prunes but never checked out the Khromozomes, is it similiar in style? How does the rest on the label sound?

Not as moody and dark as Prunes (Tracks from the Dark Side does sum it up well) but similar in production style... I wouldn't exactly call most stuff on New Breed 'downtempo' being uptempo jazzy hiphop instros for the most part but there are certainly more then a few exceptions... name of the label's long-running comp series was entitled Fat Jazzy Grooves... still, it always mixed quite well with stuff on MoWax, Ninja and the likes... Nutsek, I-Cue are some others on New Breed worth checkin for...

• You would dig Quantic's "Mishaps Happening"...that's a downtempto-esque part of what he does. Quantic is fuckin' fire in my humble ass opinion.

to all of the above. I think some of his best work is his non-album remixes though...

But yeah. Everything he touches is

• You would dig Quantic's "Mishaps Happening"...that's a downtempto-esque part of what he does. Quantic is fuckin' fire in my humble ass opinion.

The title track and 'Sound of Everything' off 'Mishaps Happening' are especially dope imo... gotta respect Will Holland's prolificness... album every year, remixes, touring, work with Jazzman, etc...

Saw Quantic Soul Orchestra couple years back at the waterfront on the most perfect summer evening with a great crowd... One of the best shows I've ever seen despite also being the quietist concert I've ever attended...

• cpeetzcpeetz 2,112 Posts

• eno for days.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,889 Posts
    Jimpster
    Cinematic Orchestra
    Keston & Westall

The above are pretty chilled. If you want it more beaty, then go down the Amon Tobin / Squarepusher route. Avoid "Music Is Rotted One Note"; I think that set is a practical joke.

• maybe my album? i know i sent it to you back in March. but i dont know if you like it, nor if its actually fits this category of music? Its mellow and got beats tho.

• Avoid "Music Is Rotted One Note"; I think that set is a practical joke.

With the exception of "Don't go plastic" which has one of the illest electric bass solos.

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts

Can anyone inform us on the really new aka 2000-2007 atmospheric stuff? I know there's a ton...

And can anyone recommend solid QUALITY NON CHEESY, NON DISCO/HOUSE BASED lounge/hotel costes type stuff? I'm not into the house-y stuff but more into it for the atmosphere...and there are a ton of comps out there..I don't know where to start..UK /Euro heads I'm looking in your direction for some reason[/b]...

classics:
    co-sign on the K&D Sessions - perhaps these remixes are better than their og material anyway? a big part of the appeal is how they manage to effortlessly turn a diverse range of artists into the best lounge bossa band you never heard; Bone,Thugs N Harmony, Depeche Mode, Roni Size, Alex Reece, Lamb, Sofa Surfers, Bomb The Bass and others all get the signature K&D sound, and you'd never care that they'd cut original versions

Mo-Wax: DJ Shadow has been 'hatted' on, but "he good" . Have you got Preemptive Strike? Or did you score the individually graff'ed 4 x 10" releases? Plenty of other good stuff on that label, the best is ebay-gold-only, but a lot things have been booted for those who missed out the first time

Ninjatune: At the time that Mo-Wax was in it's prime, this label was the under-study, but has since come into it's own and the comparision now seems daft. Their website has soundclips!

Warp: great back-catalogue that has seen lots of recent (legit) re-press action, more focus on the experimental/electronic though

recent decent:
    for me, I've found it harder to identify bankable artists that I'll scoop-up without hesitation, but if you cast your net wide enough, the over-all quality is really good. I don't have many LPs to recommend, so buying individual singles, remixes and re-edits has been the thing. Some one should be putting out good comps, but a lot of the best stuff aint legal!

co-sign on Nightmares On Wax "Inna Space Outa Sound" LP. The first plate is the definition of blazing downtempo, but I feel the standard drops a little for the second half of the LP. Still a must-have though, if just for Flip Ya Lid

Azymuth remixes/re-edits on the Far Out label. One day I'm gonna post a mix on here with the Mr Beatnik re-edit, and y'all be hollerin' and slobberin' to know whut do it he?

Demicustico 12" listen here also on Far Our, if you like downtempo with the latin-american flavour

Shoes Re-Edit of Al Green Simply Good To You is some deep soul shit that's worth cussing over. And this Wu-Tang instr edit aint bad either!

would recommend looking out for Detroit dude DL Jones, and a guy named Paul White (has a couple of good mixes on the Demicustico single and this)

Galician Girl by Fanu is Lonnie Smith Voodoo Woman b-line chop-up supergoodness

some bloke called Burial has done an LP that the music press seems to like a bit.

DJ Day done some nice things

go to www.nyctrust.com and download the Ease E sets

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    hearty cosign on stereolab and the bonobo albums mentioned. I like my donwtempo earthy and organic, and would like to add

express rising - st (dante carfegna on memphix)
    the rehash stuff obviously
    tortoise - millions now living will never die ("postrock" - hate the term - from 1996)

Love "Millions...", TNT is great too. Tortoise were a favourite band of mine ten or so years ago. And do I ever regret not picking up that Express Rising album when it came out. I've got a few of the 45s, but damn, that album's expensive nowadays.

Also, this album:
    is great. One of the best balzing dt platters in recent years IMHO.

I've never understood the appeal of K & D. Nor Thievery Corporation.

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    BTW Martin, that picture is crazy. Is that the cover?

• Four Tet - Pause and Rounds are both excellent
    and would fit in with what you've mentioned quite nicely.

also, how about something like Steve Reich or Terry Riley?
    Reich's Music For Eighteen Musicians or Four Organs
    is what I reach for these days when I need background/foreground music.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    DONNA REGINA

A Quiet Week In the House

Northern Classic

Late

Slow Killer

Chillout/Downtempo/Lounge/Electronica/Folk-Tronica/etc.

• mandrewmandrew 2,720 Posts
    Sorceror - White Magic

co-sine

there are some nice tracks on the new soulsavers album, i think its either out now or out soon

here's "revival"
    http://www.divshare.com/download/3106330-e8c

• mandrewmandrew 2,720 Posts
    Sorceror - White Magic

co-sine

there are some nice tracks on the new soulsavers album, i think its either out now or out soon

here's "revival"
    http://www.divshare.com/download/3106330-e8c

meant to post "ask the dust" that's down-tempo electro mellow lovely
    "revival" is great too but doesn't fit the category

• does anyone have the aphex twins Melodies from Mars tracks?? im n dire need of these!!