The Pho Appreciation Thread

phongonephongone 1,652 Posts
edited December 2007 in Strut Central
Who here eats pho on the regular? C'mon you know you like it! The perfect food for cold winters. If you don't be knowin, I feel sorry for you.

Comments

• ZEN2ZEN2 1,540 Posts
    Hells yeah.. always accompanied by the cock sauce

• I recently dipped into this world ... my lady showed me a good spot in Providence. It is perfect winter food. The broth is absolutely addictive.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    Paging DJ Pho777....

I'll take a Large Pho Ga please, and an order of spring rolls. YES

• JRootJRoot 861 Posts
    Goddamit this thread makes me miss Chicago something fierce. Between this one and the donut thread, you guys are killing me. You Chicago folls head over to Tank on the corner of Argyle and Broadway after you're done flipping through not very good and usually pretty trashed and somewhat overpriced records at Dr. Wax north on Berwyn. Order up the pho however you like it. I just go pho tai myself.

The best thing I can say about our little ghetto wok down here in mid-MO (where Vietnamese spots have to masquerade as chinese jernts) is that it calls to mind the pho on argyle street.

My wife doesn't really like pho, so I used to head down to Tank when she was out of town. I'd get pho tai for takeout with a banh mi on the side. Unwrapping the raw beef to put it into the soup at home was a lovely, and rare, experience.

Slurp it down, dudes.
    JRoot

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    esqo - stop rehasing 5 yr old GR posts, hah!

The world will be a better place once people start pronouncing pho properly. It ends w/ an "A" sound, not "O".

yes I'm a stickler.

ps: gimme that tripe...

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    Now that it's getting colder I'm having it once a week with my family.

• OK ... so I've just been twice and both times ordered the Pho with just beef. One of the other options is beef with "tendons". That doesn't immediately strike me as something I want to eat (not that I'm a complete chump when it comes to food or anything ... I'll eat raw fish for dayz). But am I missing out? I'm picturing something a little wormy. Whats the word on the tendons, people?

Just find a place that makes seafood/chicken pho. I never fuk with the beef pho, unless it's tawainese beef noodle soup, which is something entirely different.

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    get the tendon, so goooooood, then step up to the tripe. Now you're ready for the "special" which has everything in it.

I've been in the bun bo hue game lately.

• phongonephongone 1,652 Posts
    OK ... so I've just been twice and both times ordered the Pho with just beef. One of the other options is beef with "tendons". That doesn't immediately strike me as something I want to eat (not that I'm a complete chump when it comes to food or anything ... I'll eat raw fish for dayz). But am I missing out? I'm picturing something a little wormy. Whats the word on the tendons, people?

Tendons is just like a irridescent piece of fat - it does down pretty easy and taste good. Tripe, which Aser mentions, is the stomach lining of cow and goes down a little harder. Now, I've seen some hardcore pho joints serve pho with cow penis, but that's for the grown and sexy.

• get the tendon, so goooooood, then step up to the tripe. Now you're ready for the "special" which has everything in it.

I've been in the bun bo hue game lately.

OK ... next time I'm diving in.

The first time I ate it I decided that it'd be a great "once a week" food. I'm gonna try to stick to that.

And the first thing I did was ask the waiter to pronounce Pho so I could hear it live and direct. He suggested that it was sort of like saying "four" without the "r".

It's pronounced Fuh, not Foh.

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    it's more like "fer", but for the avg person, it's easier to remember it as "pha" since it's just a change of one letter.

Pho w/o msg is not pho! MSG in moderation is essential, there I said it.

my local bun bo hue experience. Yes that's a pig's foot in there.

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    And the first thing I did was ask the waiter to pronounce Pho so I could hear it live and direct. He suggested that it was sort of like saying "four" without the "r".

"A more accurate way to produce this sound is to make an English /o/ sound but not round the lips. The "ph" is pronounced as an "f." The resulting pronunciation sounds like 'fuh?'."

I'm gonna have to try this out sometime.

• dollar_bindollar_bin I heartily endorse this product and/or event 2,326 Posts
    It's pronounced Fuh, not Foh.

here's a visual mnemonic

it's

not

• I haven't had it in a few months, but it's probably my current favorite food. There's a place in Edison (Pho an Dao) that makes the best pho I've ever tasted.

• I fucks with pho 2-3 times a week.

no siracha sauce, just straight sliced jalepenos and I always add the sprouts.

some spots don't do cilantro in their pho but I think cilantro is a must.

I love pho.

PHO BAC OR FALL BACK.

• OK ... so I've just been twice and both times ordered the Pho with just beef. One of the other options is beef with "tendons". That doesn't immediately strike me as something I want to eat (not that I'm a complete chump when it comes to food or anything ... I'll eat raw fish for dayz). But am I missing out? I'm picturing something a little wormy. Whats the word on the tendons, people?

I'm not a food pussy either but I just straight up don't like the tripe or tendon. I fucks with the steak or brisket or combo of the two. I do chicken too. and fishcakes and fishballs is my occassional order.

Yes, lime, cilantro, sprouts, basil, green chilies are all

• PABLOPABLO 1,921 Posts
    Just had some today. Jalapeno a must.

• +1 for Pho, I'm all over this on the regular.

Also on the pronunciation, it's the most like 'fer', but it all depends a little on what part of Viet Nam you are from...

• YUM! i have it at least once a week.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    Phoooooock yea. Especially after a night of heavy drinking.

• I just had some Pho a few hours ago. It is my hangover cure. I don't know if its the broth rehydrating me or the protein blast of the all the cow parts but it works. I definetely get the tripe and tendon and throw all the fresh condiments on top. Although I don't really like cilantro for Pho. I do like the sort of long straight-razor shaped leaves that you get at some places. Also, for those who don't like the tripe or tendon, I recommend dipping in a mixture of half sriracha and half hoisin sauce. In Portland we are blessed with a lot of Pho joints, my favourites are Pho oregon and Pho Hung, but sometimes I like to go to Pho Van for uppity pho (also they have better vegetarian options for my girlfriend.)

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    my pho rec's for the following local experiences...

sf

Turtle Tower: a lighter/cleaner northern style broth, simply heaven.

to

Que Ling: again, a lot lighter than most places in the city. This is literally a shack (no dove), also where I get my bun bo hue.

Mimi's: not for the pho, their Canh Chua

Anh Dao: family run joint, very homey tastes, also quite the hole. I rike.

• And the first thing I did was ask the waiter to pronounce Pho so I could hear it live and direct. He suggested that it was sort of like saying "four" without the "r".

that's absolutely correct. that question mark looking symbol above any vowel in Vietnamese means that the vowel is supposed to be pronounced with the tone going up at the end like you are asking a question.

Just think HUH? but instead... FUH?

• my pho rec's

to

Que Ling: again, a lot lighter than most places in the city. This is literally a shack (no dove), also where I get my bun bo hue.

Mimi's: not for the pho, their Canh Chua

Anh Dao: family run joint, very homey tastes, also quite the hole. I rike.

i wanna try these (though my tastes are a tad more pedestrian, no tripe today...)...
    a good pho is so comforting...
    thanks fer the tips...

• Danno3000Danno3000 2,850 Posts
    Now, I've seen some hardcore pho joints serve pho with cow penis, but that's for the grown and sexy.

Since Aser's set a high bar for being a stickler, I'll just point out that cows don't have penise. Cows are strictly female cattle. You'd be eating bull penis.

Tripe may seem objectionable, but in pho it's just texture; it has no taste. I think it's a must.

• All you tripe lovers need to get with some mondongo.

On another note I had a tripe stew the other day at an Italian restaurant (al di la for the BK heads) and it was amazing.