I got access to the entire WGBH Archive

Comments

• erewhonerewhon 1,123 Posts
    Have you searched any artist appearances on the New Television Workshop? I was only up on this show very late in the game, but there were a lot of experimental artists that performed on the show, going back into the 70s.

I'm looking through right now, but all I've found so far is a bunch of weird shit like "Lotte Goslar's Pantomime Circus"

Yeah, it's definately heavier on the performance art/video/dance side of things, but they had some pretty interesting musical guests too. I did a little research and was able to dig up this John Cage episode: http://openvault.wgbh.org/ntw/MLA000318/index.html. I know there's more of that sort of thing to be found, though. It's not gonna give Say Brother a run for it's money or anything, but it might have some gems.

p.s. I also came across this must-see footage: http://openvault.wgbh.org/saybrother/MLA001372/index.html

• erewhonerewhon 1,123 Posts
    Oh yeah- I'm also gonna be in Beantown for the holidays, so if the screening party goes down between 12/20 and 12/27 I'd love to come out.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    Have you searched any artist appearances on the New Television Workshop? I was only up on this show very late in the game, but there were a lot of experimental artists that performed on the show, going back into the 70s.

I'm looking through right now, but all I've found so far is a bunch of weird shit like "Lotte Goslar's Pantomime Circus"

Yeah, it's definately heavier on the performance art/video/dance side of things, but they had some pretty interesting musical guests too. I did a little research and was able to dig up this John Cage episode: http://openvault.wgbh.org/ntw/MLA000318/index.html. I know there's more of that sort of thing to be found, though. It's not gonna give Say Brother a run for it's money or anything, but it might have some gems.

p.s. I also came across this must-see footage: http://openvault.wgbh.org/saybrother/MLA001372/index.html

I can't find that John Cage footage (the archive can be quite difficult to search), but I did come across this craziness:

"Collisions ??? Unaired Drama Comedy by Lily Tomlin & Jane Wagner starring Dan Ackroyd, Gilda Radner, Prof. Irwin Correy ??? PBS"

The television equivalent of many, many, many, many rare unreleased acetates?

That Say Brother episode with Melvin van Peebles and Dick Gregory is available, but only on 3/4" tape. We'd need to pay for a transfer, or find someone with a U-Matic to watch it.

Oh yeah- I'm also gonna be in Beantown for the holidays, so if the screening party goes down between 12/20 and 12/27 I'd love to come out.

Right now I'm looking at the weekend after New Year's for the big one, but we can always get a few cats together for a smaller deal. I'll holler.

So, it appears we've hit some delays in the transfer process. However, I picked up a VCR on the cheap, so viewing this stuff is still possible. I'm thinking of having a lil viewing while Dave from Friends of Sound is in town. PMs will be sent to Boston Headz. Holler if you're interested and I missed you on the PM!

• I suck

b/w

At least we hired an engineer to fix the problem.

I suck

b/w

At least we hired an engineer to fix the problem.

Don't sweat it, G. It'll get done eventually. It's been 37 years since some of this stuff has seen the light of day, so I don't think a few extra weeks or months are a big deal.

b/w

I hope you didn't hire the engineer solely for this.

So, beyond this episode, the rest of what we have now consists of:

plus the 1968 James Brown concert at the Boston Garden and an episode of Say Brother called "The Politics of Soul" where they discuss the James Brown concert. Bitchin'.

• BaptBapt 2,503 Posts
    Ok, I want it.

• i have a friend that lives to collect old footage like that, and his dayjob involves dubbing all kinds of tapes

i'll ask him if he's got a 3/4 machine at his place and if so, i bet he'd be able to dub some stuff for much less than $30...i'll update later

i have a friend that lives to collect old footage like that, and his dayjob involves dubbing all kinds of tapes

i'll ask him if he's got a 3/4 machine at his place and if so, i bet he'd be able to dub some stuff for much less than $30...i'll update later

Word? You live near the City of Champions?

So, we've got myself, Jaymack, Lambert, DJCoolHands, and KitchenKnight down for next Tuesday, with no word yet from SOI or PJ. I live in Allston right near the Harvard Ave. stop on the B Line, and the 66 bus goes right by my apartment. I know some of y'all will have to travel a bit, so how's 7 p.m. for err-body?

Also, is anyone vegetarian? ???Cause I'm thinking Soul Fire for food. Everything there is incredible, but they don't cater much to herbivores.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Hey, sorry I didn't respond to your PM, I wasn't
    ignoring but doing the old "wait until I have time
    to properly respond ... and then forget about the whole
    thing" routine - but I will definitely try to make it
    out for next tuesday's viewing party, I'm 90% sure I'll
    be able to be there ...

Nice. I'll be interested to know how Soul Fire compares to that joint in Mattapan, Pit Stop, that you were recommending a while back. Haven't tried it yet???Mattapan is a bit out of the way for me, but I'm willing to go out of my way for good BBQ.

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    the City of Champions?

Edmonton?

the City of Champions?

Edmonton?

HAHA! No, the other one, aka, The Hub of the Universe.

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    Thweeet. BBQ sounds simply marvelous. I'm not sure I recall the route to your crib from the T. Is that where the viewing is?

Can't wait!

Thweeet. BBQ sounds simply marvelous. I'm not sure I recall the route to your crib from the T. Is that where the viewing is?

Can't wait!

You mean my palatial Allston penthouse? Yes, indeed. I'll holler at everybody individually and nail down directions for each of you. Hell, I might even put together a quick map in photoshop if I get bored at work. And that's a significant possibility.

For reference for those attending, my spot is about 6-7 blocks from the Harvard Ave. stop on the B (Green) line. The 66 bus, which goes through Harvard Sq., also stops directly in front of my apartment, as does the 57. Driving is easy as well, but I don't encourage drinking and driving. But I do encourage drinking.

• lambertlambert 1,166 Posts
    I may be a little late to the event (9-ish), but please don't let that get in the way of anything.

Alright err-body. The plan is to meet tomorrow night (Tuesday) at Soul Fire at 7 p.m., grab some BBQ and a beer or three, then head back to my spot. I'm PMing you all now with info on directions, etc. I'm at work now (despite the fact that we have a snow day), but will be leaving shortly, so I won't have ???Strut access for the rest of the day. Hit me on my cell with any questions.

Let me just say that if you live around the hub and decide to miss this, it's kind of like Neil Armstrong deciding to just stay inside the Apollo 11.

I'm flaking...
    I just can't make the journey. I feel kind of shitty, and it's so damn cold.

that bbq does sound hella good. let's have a re-screening when it's warmer.
    please try to have fun w/o me.

• Let me just say that if you live around the hub and decide to miss this, it's kind of like Neil Armstrong deciding to just stay inside the Apollo 11.

given that i'm sitting at work, and the show isn't finished editing, things aren't looking real good for me either...

I just got home from work, and am finishing dinner ...
    considering that GBH is already waiting for us all at
    Soul Fire right now, I'm feeling like a heel ... although
    I was planning on being late to begin with ...

FUCK!!!
    Looks like we left our man stranded at the restaurant.
    He's there waiting and lambert and coolhands won't be out till later. he thinks SOI isn't coming out at all, and kk i told him your situation.

massholes.

Viewing Officially Postponed

Igor is right. I am a spineless terd.

I vow to make the rematch, or die trying.

• damn. bad looks for boston.

i just got home, but i brought work with me, so i'm assed out for the evening.

GBH, and FoSound...apologies to all.

iou y'all a drink come march.

Shame on you fools.

D%$e, it was good to meet you. Have a safe trip back, and the mp3's are on the way. GBH, thanks for the vhs raer for days viewing. I'll never be able to get that image of King Arthur wrapped in cellophane out of my head, nor the unnamed b-town bassist with the massive collar. Fat Day MP3's forthcoming.

See ya'll at the next viewing.

GBH, thanks for the vhs raer for days viewing. I'll never be able to get that image of King Arthur wrapped in cellophane out of my head, nor the unnamed b-town bassist with the massive collar

It still went down?

We were told cancelled, damn it!