I got access to the entire WGBH Archive

124»

Comments

• lambertlambert 1,166 Posts
    GBH, thanks for the vhs raer for days viewing. I'll never be able to get that image of King Arthur wrapped in cellophane out of my head, nor the unnamed b-town bassist with the massive collar

It still went down?

We were told cancelled, damn it!

Well, I didn't get jaymack's pm in time and just showed up at the place with beers in hand. I called the man to see if you guys had gotten back from soul fire, when he let me know it got cancelled. I was just like "I'm phoning you from your front steps", and he invited me up. Coolhands came through about an hour later, just in time for the "best of spring" show.

So to summarize, the viewing was incredible once you got past the "smug rigidities" of WGBH.

Plus, now I can say I got my mother fucking serato at turntable lab.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    GBH, thanks for the vhs raer for days viewing. I'll never be able to get that image of King Arthur wrapped in cellophane out of my head, nor the unnamed b-town bassist with the massive collar

It still went down?

We were told cancelled, damn it!

Well, I didn't get jaymack's pm in time and just showed up at the place with beers in hand. I called the man to see if you guys had gotten back from soul fire, when he let me know it got cancelled. I was just like "I'm phoning you from your front steps", and he invited me up. Coolhands came through about an hour later, just in time for the "best of spring" show.

So to summarize, the viewing was incredible once you got past the "smug rigidities" of WGBH.

Plus, now I can say I got my mother fucking serato at turntable lab.

Well, things did come together, albeit at the last minute with half the original cast. I believe we learned a few things:

1) George Clinton sweats a lot when he's on acid.
    2) The Original Untouchables are awesome. Corollary question: Who the fuck are The Original Untouchables?
    3) Jazz poet Robert Ruff sucks. Who is Robert Ruff? Nobody you want to know about.
    4) People don't talk shit about the TV station they work for like they did back in the day.

And D*n learned how to say "I got my motherfucking serato at turntablelab" on Soulstrut. All around, a productive night.

Jaymack, KitchenKnight, and SoulOnIce all get a time out for flaking. Remember all:

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

Jaymack, KitchenKnight, and SoulOnIce all get a time out for flaking.

Well, I was actually ready to go until the "official"
    cancelation was posted, but I will allow my name to be
    included on the "flake" list, if only because I didn't
    call you myself for the real and the true.

I'm pissed I missed the vids and meeting cool hands, but
    I've known how to say fucking serato at fucking
    turntable lab on Soul Strut for a long time now ...

Jaymack, KitchenKnight, and SoulOnIce all get a time out for flaking.

Well, I was actually ready to go until the "official"
    cancelation was posted, but I will allow my name to be
    included on the "flake" list, if only because I didn't
    call you myself for the real and the true.

I'm pissed I missed the vids and meeting cool hands, but
    I've know how to say fucking serato at fucking
    turntable lab on Soul Strut for a long time now ...

It's all good. You were only 90% sure to begin with, but I lumped you in there anyway ???cause it's easier to paint with broad strokes. I ain't mad, doggie. You were right about that Parliament performance, though.

Ever hear of the Original Untouchables? None of us had any idea who they were, but it was pretty dope.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

Ever hear of the Original Untouchables? None of us had any idea who they were, but it was pretty dope.

Nope - were they local?

Because the Ohio Untouchables were the early version
    of the Ohio Players, there could possibly be some connection,
    or maybe even one of those things where they were made to
    add the "Original" to their name because of the Ohio group?

Hopefully I will see this footage at the second viewing party ... ?

Nope - were they local?

Because the Ohio Untouchables were the early version
    of the Ohio Players, there could possibly be some connection,
    or maybe even one of those things where they were made to
    add the "Original" to their name because of the Ohio group?

Hopefully I will see this footage at the second viewing party ... ?

Hmm. I didn't get an Ohio Players vibe, but it was 1969, so they could have developed into that sound later. It was from the spring special that was all musical performances, so I imagine we will be watching that again next time around. We talked through much of it, so I could certainly stand another viewing.

• lambertlambert 1,166 Posts
    I've been googling these dudes, and they have a release with Bonnie Floyd, and guess what label it's on.....

Big Yellow.

The riddle gets deeper, but this fact points to these guys being a local act.

BTW/ I could only find releases with them backing Bonnie Floyd, so perhaps it may be a different group entirely. On another release they go just as "The Untouchables".

Still, though, you all need[/b] to see that footage! A blazer for sure!

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    well, if we do it again, i'll bring my digital camera and record some clips to throw on youtube for the world to see.