WHO PASSES ON CLASSIC BREAKS?

NateBizzoNateBizzo 2,328 Posts
edited November 2007 in Strut Central
I used to pick up Mountain, Johnny Jenkins, Bloomfield Super Sessions, Bob James, Joe Farrell etc.... everytime I see them and pass them on to a friend or whatever, but lately I just don't have it in me to by an LP that has a classic break when I see it in "the crates (tm)". Do you all pass up breaks or feel compelled to buy them?

Comments

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    I used to pick up Mountain, Johnny Jenkins, Bloomfield Super Sessions, Bob James, Joe Farrell etc.... everytime I see them and pass them on to a friend or whatever, but lately I just don't have it in me to by an LP that has a classic break when I see it in "the crates (tm)".

Do you all pass up breaks or feel compelled to buy them?

I can't even give that shit away these days. So I pass.

• DJCireDJCire 729 Posts
    I think it just depends, some of them are passable and some aren't. Plus we all know regionally some of the commons/classics aren't as common/classic... Shit, I'm still looking for Apache...

• I pass usually. I see shit all the time. I'll pick it up if it's actually a classic break on a good album and I'll give that to a friend who may be just getting into buying records, but I won't get breaks solely for the break to give to anybody. I don't know anybody who uses breaks anymore, really. If it's not a good album to begin with, there's no point anymore. For me, anyway.

• NateBizzoNateBizzo 2,328 Posts
    I think it just depends, some of them are passable and some aren't. Plus we all know regionally some of the commons/classics aren't as common/classic... Shit, I'm still looking for Apache...

See that's funny. I never pass on Bongo Band. I've found it probablly 6-7 times over the years, basically everytime I dig in Quebec I find it. I think it must have been big there. That is the only one I will buy no matter what.

I pass usually. I see shit all the time. I'll pick it up if it's actually a classic break on a good album and I'll give that to a friend who may be just getting into buying records, but I won't get breaks solely for the break to give to anybody. I don't know anybody who uses breaks anymore, really. If it's not a good album to begin with, there's no point anymore. For me, anyway.

Is Johnny Jenkins a scoop or a pass for you?

• To clarify, I would buy any record that would make me some guaranteed cash just on principle (Bongo Band still goes for a fair amount, no?). Les McCann Layers isn't getting more than $10 anywhere though, so something like that usually gets the passface unless I know somebody who would like the album and doesn't already have it.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    I'm currently building a public library for producers, so classic breaks are still very much right up my dollar bin alley.

• I wouldnt ever pass on a Johnny Jenkins...thats just good music...and it aint as common as one would think. it aint raer, but not as common as Mountain, super Session, etc....

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    I think it just depends, some of them are passable and some aren't.

Pretty much. I do try to pass 'em on if I know somebody who needs something. Some of them I still want for myself for various reasons. But if I've already got two clean copies, then I generally pass and keep looking for something else that I do need.

I wouldnt ever pass on a Johnny Jenkins...thats just good music...and it aint as common as one would think. it aint raer, but not as common as Mountain, super Session, etc....

Really? I've passed on "Ton Ton" 5 times now.

• I wouldnt ever pass on a Johnny Jenkins...thats just good music...and it aint as common as one would think. it aint raer, but not as common as Mountain, super Session, etc....

This sums it up for me. I LIKE the johnny jenkins record, and that Frickin' Super Session record was all about gettin' stoned in my friend's dorm room at age 19...Don't pass 'em up if you actually like the music.

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    Some classic breaks just suck. I don't need ten copies of Tom Scott sneakin' in the back. Soft drums, terrible record. A lot of the Ultimate Breaks and Beats tracks are junk.

But you'd be stupid to pass up an Apache, a Wild Magnolias, etc. For the most part IMO the best classic breaks are on great records that are worth listening to at least one whole track, if not the whole album.

It's not ultra-common but it does turn up. And when I do see it, it's the re-pressing on Capricorn, hardly ever the OG on Atco (with the gatefold).

• Im relatively new to diggin so I pickup whatever break i can get my hands on. my main mission for diggin is not only finding good quality music but also expanding my sample library. which is

If you saw Motherload for $6 bucks, what would you do?

• Lately I've been passing on The Fireballs & Iron Butterfly level of breaks, but still cop breaks.

• HamHam 872 Posts

that break sucks. but the record is good/some of the songs are good

So what do you do? That LP has a Dilla and Shadow sample, that's like the holy grail of bin breaks.

• TULSA TURNAROUND

• HamHam 872 Posts

So what do you do? That LP has a Dilla and Shadow sample, that's like the holy grail of bin breaks.

for $6 i would only pick it up to mint up, cause i guess most of my digger friends allready have it.

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    I wouldnt ever pass on a Johnny Jenkins...thats just good music...and it aint as common as one would think. it aint raer, but not as common as Mountain, super Session, etc....

It's not ultra-common but it does turn up. And when I do see it, it's the re-pressing on Capricorn, hardly ever the OG on Atco (with the gatefold).

Johnny Jenkins gets props from me for taking a fairly heavy song and making it even more dread. The original lyric is "I want to see my enemies at the end of their rope." Johnny's? "I want to see my enemies at the end of my rope."

(Gulp).

Johnny Jenkins gets props from me for taking a fairly heavy song and making it even more dread. The original lyric is "I want to see my enemies at the end of their rope." Johnny's? "I want to see my enemies at the end of my rope."

(Gulp).

Does Mike2600 ride for this?

• Bob James One still flies out of my record show boxes at $10 a throw. Hell, I sold a second pressing of that to some dude and he was stoked beyond belief. I guess it just means there's still some new blood coming into the game who get excited about these kinds of records that most of us take for granted at this point. So if I see them cheap ($3 or under) and they're clean, I'll usually pick up these kinds of titles.

• if u mean,
    do i still buy pretty much anything that james brown had a hand in, then yes.. but i just love tha music.
    i cant help that every other song on the album has turned up in a hip hop song (or miles davis album);)

i my make my own beats, hardly evar sample ..

i really like playin on a [color:purple] drumpsett [/color] SoulStrut

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    If the only thing I care about is the break and it's cheap, I buy it, burn it to a CD and trade it. I don't pay good money and keep anything unless I actually want it for the music and like the whole song or LP. I used to stockpile all this stuff, but the digital age has freed me from this burdon. I still love breaks and all that, but moving 6000 records a couple times will change your perspective on what you really "need". Plus I don't sell records or know any DJ's that care about breaks.

Haveing multiple copies of breaks is so '95.

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts

Do you pass up breaks?

Never that son

I be rocking a complete expedit of every UBB record (LPs only.... 45s I only have a shoebox full of each).

• Some stay grippin':

• RonanRonan 86 Posts
    if u mean,
    do i still buy pretty much anything that james brown had a hand in, then yes.. but i just love tha music.
    i cant help that every other song on the album has turned up in a hip hop song (or miles davis album);)

sorry, i dont get the miles davis bit

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    if u mean,

sorry, i dont get the miles davis bit

i think the last miles davis album sampled some james. But this dude is still confused.

• Some stay grippin':