my queue is empty (netflix related)

keithvanhornkeithvanhorn 3,855 Posts
edited November 2007 in Strut Central
post your recent rentals and what you thought of 'em. i need some recommendations.here's what i've seen over the past few weeks:wire season 2: excellent. my favorite season.oceans 13: mildly entertaining, but pretty much crap. my least favorite of the 3.

Comments

• if you're in for a good tv comedy, i recommend season one of "it's always sunny in philadelphia."

• oceans 13: mildly entertaining, but pretty much crap. my least favorite of the 3.

you mean it's worse than ocean's 12 ? man that is literally the worst movie i've ever paid to see in a theater.

• pppppppp 261 Posts
    The Beat My Heart Skipped - amazingly acted movie about a thug who has a secret aspiration toward his dead mother's former passion: being a concert pianist. He tries to balance these two things in his life while his old temper and violent streak still get in the way. I recommend!

Hoop Dreams - great doc about two kids who fantasize about playing in the NBA. Recommended!

Terrifying Girls School - bizarre Japanese movie about delinquent girls who are forced into changing their behaviour through state sanctioned schools...however, they end up just getting naked and fighting with razors. Kinda good in a kitschy way but gets boring.

Modern Times - surprisingly good charlie chaplin movie that I was expecting to be boring. Not for everyone, but in terms of historical importance it's worth seeing, and for a few laughs too. Half recommended.

24 Hour Party People - was worse than I remember it being the first time I saw it. Steve Coogan is hilarious, but all of the surreal, post-modern, breaking down of the 4th wall stuff gets tedious and seems really superficial. Not so recommended.

Enron: The Smartest Guys in the Room - another really good documentary and should really be seen by everyone so that you can actually believe the level of outright greed that certain slimeballs can achieve within corporate America. Will leave you angry, no doubt. However, I recommend.

• MondeyanoMondeyano Reykjavik 863 Posts
    Living in Oblivion[/b] - funny-as-shit film w/Steve Buscemi about the filming of a shitty indie flick. Very awesome.

• JRootJRoot 861 Posts
    THE CELEBRATION. Tomas Winterberg's film about a family airing some dirty laundry at the old man's 60th birthday party. Watch it before the holidays and it is likely to make you feel much better about how lame/annoying/fuckedup your family is. And if you think this family has it easy, then I'm really sad for you. One of my favourite (it's European) films of all time.

• for the love of Jessica Lange: Francis. A tour de force effort on all fronts.

• Last King of Scotland was pretty good. Also, more Wire. If you're only on S2, you need to finish catching up most definitely. Also, cosign on Always Sunny in Philadelphia. Some outlandish humor, lots of wtf? moments, but I couldn't stop laughing when devito dropped acid in the one episode... Worth a viewing, for sure.

• i've seen a few episodes of Always Sunny in Philadelphia....ehh. i'm gonna check out a few of the flicks mentioned so far in this thread, but i decided to go with Band of Brothers (disc 1..planning on watching the whole series).

• LuminLumin 807 Posts
    band of brothers is the joint. once i start from the beginning i end up sitting in front of my tv for an entire day running through all the episodes

movies ive really dug lately
    wassup rockers: if you like "kids" this is in the same vein
    millions
    raising victor vargas
    any akira kurosawa flick from the 50s and 60s
    ill give some more when i recover from playin ball

• oceans 13: mildly entertaining, but pretty much crap. my least favorite of the 3.

you mean it's worse than ocean's 12 ? man that is literally the worst movie i've ever paid to see in a theater.

I actually enjoyed 12 significantly more than 11. I felt the story developed in a more naturalistic way. 11 felt really forced to me.

• The Beat My Heart Skipped - amazingly acted movie about a thug who has a secret aspiration toward his dead mother's former passion: being a concert pianist. He tries to balance these two things in his life while his old temper and violent streak still get in the way. I recommend!

Sounds like that movie Fingers with Harvey Keitel. Jim Brown, now that's an athlete that can act. Solid picture.

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    it's a remake. that scene in fingers with jim brown trying to get his menage on is

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    it's a remake. that scene in fingers with jim brown trying to get his menage on is

Yeah bet me to it. Thought it was a fair reworking of the original material and a damn fine movie in it's own right.

It's been a week since I last brought it up so may as well recommmend Save The Green Planet again - truly one of the most original films I've seen in years combining as it does Torture horror, Romance, Comedy and Sci Fi.

• None of my recent rentals have been very noteworthy, but here are some of the upcoming joints in my queue:

El Topo:[/b] In this surreal Western, avant-garde filmmaker Alejandro Jodorowsky uses allegory and religious iconography to tell the story of a gunfighter, El Topo (Jodorowsky), who wanders the desert on an odyssey seeking enlightenment. But first, he must defeat four master gunfighters and dig a tunnel to free a colony of deformed underground dwellers from their dark confines. This experimental film reached cult status as the first of the "midnight movies."

March of the Penguins:[/b] Award-winning photographer Luc Jacquet takes documentary film to new heights -- and depths -- with his first feature film, a stunning insider's look at the life of the emperor penguin. The product of more than a year of filming in the brutal Antarctic ice, this Oscar-winning Best Documentary presents never-before-captured footage of the penguins' underwater life and explores their steadfast quest for monogamous mates.

Talk To Me:[/b] Oscar nominee Don Cheadle stars as real-life radio trailblazer Ralph "Petey" Greene, a high-school dropout and charismatic ex-con who leveraged a prison disc jockey gig into a stint at a Washington, D.C., radio station, a television show and an invitation to the White House. Chiwetel Ejiofor, Martin Sheen, Cedric the Entertainer and Taraji P. Henson also star in this compelling biopic from director Kasi Lemmons.

Holy Mountain:[/b] Avant-garde filmmaker Alejandro Jodorowsky weaves a grotesque tale rich in allegory and sacrilegious imagery as a thief (Hor??cio Salinas) is first crucified, then enlisted by an alchemist (Jodorowsky) to join a group of elites who seek divinity and immortality. Juan Ferrara, Adriana Page, Richard Rutowski, Valerie Jodorowsky, Zamira Saunders and Ana De Sade also star in this surreal mind trip.

Vanishing Point:[/b] A classic among "car chase" movies. James Kowalski (Barry Newman) works for a car delivery service and agrees to motor a supercharged 1970 Dodge Challenger from Colorado to San Francisco. For grins and giggles, he bets that he can deposit the car in California in less than 15 hours. So begins an uproarious high-speed adventure that includes confrontations with a blind DJ, gay hitchhikers, a naked biker chick and lots of cops.

Fantastic Planet:[/b] In director Rene Laloux's animated, sci-fi classic, a band of humans -- known as Oms -- are kept as domesticated pets by an alien race of blue humanoid giants called Traags. The story centers on an Om named Terr, who escapes his subjugation with a Traag learning device and eventually uses it to educate other Oms and incite them to revolt. Said to be based on the Soviet occupation of the Czech Republic, the film nabbed the Grand Prix at Cannes.

OZ, Season 1, Disc 1:[/b] From the Oscar- and Emmy-winning team of Berry Levinson and Tom Fontana comes HBO's groundbreaking, long-running series Oz. Emerald City, an experimental unit of the Oswald Maximum Security Prison, focuses on prisoner rehabilitation over public retribution. In this world, you must choose your friends carefully, because every gang has its mutual friends -- and mutual enemies.

Dunno if these are any good since I have yet to see them but that's what I got goin on in my Netflix.

• Enron: The Smartest Guys in the Room - another really good documentary and should really be seen by everyone so that you can actually believe the level of outright greed that certain slimeballs can achieve within corporate America. Will leave you angry, no doubt. However, I recommend.

with cameo by sabadabada as "the guy walking down the hall"

• I say go with...

Science of Sleep

Any Wes Anderson

Seventh Seal

Any Jordorowsky

Natural Born Killers

Ghost Dog... almost strictly for the OST

• LuminLumin 807 Posts
    Science of Sleep

this is a necessity

• DrJoelDrJoel 932 Posts
    Living in Oblivion[/b] - funny-as-shit film w/Steve Buscemi about the filming of a shitty indie flick. Very awesome.

Wow, i haven't even thought about this one in a while. I have to see this now.

• thropethrope 750 Posts
    watch holy mountain before el topo