Chef Knife Ownerz

batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
edited November 2007 in Strut Central
I know there are some here. What you got?

Comments

• magneticmagnetic 2,678 Posts
    Give it a rest.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Give it a rest.

Soulfull Hip Hop Fan?

• Danno3000Danno3000 2,850 Posts
    Ah, I thought this was a legitimate thread about knives and I could spout about double bevels and ceramic steels and get Aser to share his whetstone knowledge.

Ok

Wusthof Santoku

Decent Cleaver that im gonna upgrade eventually

And a regular Chefs Knife that i copped from Bodum a minute ago.

• All I have is an 8" chef knife and a 5" santoku both made by Calphalon. They both need to be sharpened. These is hard times, I haven't even been grocery shopping lately much less cooking.

Come to think of it, a couple more decent knives would sure be a nice holiday gift. I need to get this idea to my peoples.

All I have is an 8" chef knife and a 5" santoku both made by Calphalon. They both need to be sharpened. These is hard times, I haven't even been grocery shopping lately much less cooking.

Come to think of it, a couple more decent knives would sure be a nice holiday gift. I need to get this idea to my peoples.

U should cop a Stone as well to keep them sharp. And while ur at it a Honing steel as well.

• Henckels Five Star 8-in. Chef's Knife

• I still have my Cutco's from when I sold them briefly. Ten years and still going strong!

• Yeah I need the honing steel cuz you're supposed to use one everytime you use the knife, right?

As far as a stone, I do need to get one of those as well. Paying to have them sharpened is a waste of money. I've never paid to do it, but I know it costs a bit. My sister in law's dad is a stone sharpening vet so I just holler at him.

• Danno3000Danno3000 2,850 Posts
    I have a Global chef knife and the guy who sharpens warned me away from anything but a ceramic steel. Anything else will dull the edge, apparently.

I don't mess with a a whetstone myself, since I have access to a fantastic sharpener and you need to know what you're doing with a stone (and I don't). Finding a guy who sharpens professionally will make your life better. I'm talking knives so sharp you can shave with them. It sounds silly, but using a sharp knife every day make me that much happier.

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    Im in the market for a good set, Anybody have any reccomendations?

Preferably ones that i can stab people with.

Im in the market for a good set, Anybody have any reccomendations?

Preferably ones that i can stab people with.

utility blade or razor in the mouf like Pam Grier in Fort Apache The Bronx

• I fully understand, nothing is more frustrating than trying to prep food with a dull knife. It's hard to get even slices, it wears more on your hands, you're probably even in more danger of injuring yourself when struggling to cut things with a dull blade.

• Everyone seems to recommend the Wusthof or Henckel 8" chef knives as good basic workhorses. More particular amongst my friends suggest the Globals. I am on the fence but looking for a new everyday knife as well. The Kershaw/Shun Ken Onion's look crazy, with a price tag to match.

Investing in a good blade is

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    I fully understand, nothing is more frustrating than trying to prep food with a dull knife. It's hard to get even slices, it wears more on your hands, you're probably even in more danger of injuring yourself when struggling to cut things with a dull blade.

jeez, thats nothing, try stabbing people with a knife that accidently made it through the dish washer.

• piedpiperpiedpiper 1,279 Posts
    Dick 10" chef??s knife.

I used various Solingen and Japanese knives, but this is was and still is the best thing around. Easy to sharpen on a steel, sharp and usable for almost everything. There is really no need to drop more money on fancy knives.

Easy to sharpen on a steel

U know that this doesnt sharpen the blade.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    I still have my Cutco's from when I sold them briefly. Ten years and still going strong!

My mom still rocks the Cutcos she bought probably 15 years ago. Those things are pretty serious. For me, I have bupkis when it comes to high-quality knives. But I do enjoy watching the knife infomercials where they slice the shit out of anything and everything you can imagine. It's almost hypnotic.

• waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts
    If you don't have a way to sharpen and maintain your knives, then it doesn't matter what you've got. They will all eventually go dull (and pretty fast), although a nicer knife will hold its edge longer. A professional chef will usually use a knife that he can afford to lose or damage because in the kitchen, shit happens.

Learning to sharpen your own knives is a necessary step to taking your game to the

• I still have my Cutco's from when I sold them briefly. Ten years and still going strong!

Half my friends sold these at one time or another. Seems like they make all their money from teenagers selling to their parents and their friends parents.

Similar experience with Kirby Vacuums. I heard stories of kids being dropped in the ghettos trying to sell these door-to-door.

• Alton Brown can be semi annoying and omni-present at times but you can't deny his wealth of knowledge. Anyone try his Kershaw line of knives?

Kershaw/A. Brown Knife - http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-2611989298700188336

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    Ceramic steel is a nice thing to have, albeit a bit too fragile for me. If all you're doing is cooking at home, then yeah get one. Unfortunately I'm in an uncontrolled environment where things will often get dropped. I've seen one too many break in my lifetime.

A stone is a great thing, as long as it's used correctly. It is time consuming, but once you master it, your knives will be ultra sharp. You have to angle it at roughly 20 degrees or so, and repeat the same # of strokes to both sides, all the way to the tip. Ayo?

The German knives are reliable, albeit very hard to sharpen once they're dull. Conversely once sharpen, they hold their edge longer than cheaper knives. If interested in Global, perhaps you should check out their Pro series (jpn only laar).

http://www.yoshikin.co.jp/w/products/global-pro/list_global-pro.html

• piedpiperpiedpiper 1,279 Posts
    Easy to sharpen on a steel

U know that this doesnt sharpen the blade.

I am so sorry for my poor English. It realigns the blade, it is called sharpening steel, although it doesn??t "sharpen". It??s an extremely useful tool and if used correctly, the knife will rarely need a real sharpening procedure.

lol lol lol
    I just found this nasty ass clip of ME "sharpening" my 10" chef??s knive.

• fejmelbafejmelba 1,139 Posts
    i collect these.
    its not the size that maters. its all about the style

real chefs know the deal

• HamHam 872 Posts
    why did i read this entire thread? i don't even cook like that.

• fejmelbafejmelba 1,139 Posts
    why did i read this entire thread?

your name is HAM...

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    Henckels Five Star 8-in. Chef's Knife

I bought a set of those over 15 years ago. Made it through dishwashers and roommates etc. I will probably never buy knives again. They were not called five star back then because all were quality. These days they have a lot of shitty China stamp out Henckels, but the real shit is the best for your money.