REGGAE BY THE KILO

ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
edited November 2007 in Strut Central
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320183317267
You are bidding on a barrage of over 12500 unsearched Yard Style records, including all kinds of Chunes. Ska,RockSteady,Reggae,Roots,Rockers & Dancehall. These just came in today from the warehouse of an old Soundman who retired many years ago...and we are selling everything right back on eBay, in 2 kilogram LOTS, as it's too much work to search and list them individually.
How common is this method of liquidating a large amount of records?

Comments

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    Don't get fooled, hidden below those records is the dead body of K in Canada.

Substract from total weight.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    Don't get fooled, hidden below those records is the dead body of K in Canada.

Substract from total weight.

• I shudder to think of how much absolute garbage is in that collection.

Also, this is hilarious:

CONDITIONS: NM to VG
    SURFACE ABRASIONS: Negligible to minor[/b]

Ha! Jamaican-pressed 45s from a soundman's collection. I'm sure there are tonnes of NMs in the lot.

Also:

Some records have accumulated dust during storage, so you may have to do some cleaning as we are only willing to pick up a handful of records at random,drop them on a scale and package them. That alone, will make us sweat!

• Ha! Jamaican-pressed 45s from a soundman's collection. I'm sure there are tonnes kilos of NMs in the lot.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    I don't know, I'm kind of tempted. The possibility of
    getting 900 JA 45's for 50 cents each inc. shipping is
    hard to ignore ... you never know what might show up, there
    are some good labels in that photo but they may send you 95%
    crap, or you may get a pot of god ...

• TabaskoTabasko 1,357 Posts
    I ordered 4 kilo's..

I know it's probably a lot of garbage.. But I'm just too curious/fascinated.

I'll report back when/if I get the weight in.

• telegift =

• TabaskoTabasko 1,357 Posts
    telegift =

Feedback Score: 1502
    Positive Feedback: 97%

Members who left a positive: 1535
    Members who left a negative: 48

All positive Feedback: 23106

• telegift =

Feedback Score: 1502
    Positive Feedback: 97%

Members who left a positive: 1535
    Members who left a negative: 48

You'll see.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts

Dude moves product.

• Kind of hard to believe that a big seller of reggae singles would off anything decent in a mound like that...it's gotta be the dregs.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    Kind of hard to believe that a big seller of reggae singles would off anything decent in a mound like that...it's gotta be the dregs.

yeah, that's what I would assume. I mean, I am sure there is plenty of decent music, but that would be the kind of thing you would drag down to the flea market, or to a record show, let people cart it away. I bought about 200+ 45s like this at a flea and they have been useful, but I am relatively sure not at all valuable.

• I am sure there is plenty of decent music

Danroy Telegift has some great titles but is really shitty when it comes to grading.

• CBearCBear 902 Posts
    Kind of hard to believe that a big seller of reggae singles would off anything decent in a mound like that...it's gotta be the dregs.

• Instant reggae jukebox. I'm also tempted.

• If you're tempted to buy that, you might also be intrigued by this auction.

• I don't know, Hogg, the seller claims to have not inspected the lot (I know, I know...), so $5 for approximately 92 songs isn't that bad, is it? How horrible could those songs be, Hogg?

• I guarantee that what you will get in that lot is hundreds of completely hammered common 7"s. If that's your bag and you want a quick and dirty (emphasis on dirty) reggae singles collection then go in. If you are looking for a few hundred playable records in halfway decent condition I would act with caution.

The same amount of money, well spent, could yield 1/10th of the quantity but 1000% of the quality.

• All positive Feedback: 23106
    Dude moves product.

STEPPED ON PRODUCT

I calculate that it would take 7 hours to inspect the whole lot, assuming a 2 second per record inspection time.

• I calculate that it would take 7 hours to inspect the whole lot, assuming a 2 second per record inspection time.

What's 7 hours of Reynaldo time worth? Gotta factor that shit in.

• kalakala 3,361 Posts
    I calculate that it would take 7 hours to inspect the whole lot, assuming a 2 second per record inspection time.

better bring HKUNT with you
    I heard he knows a lot about reggae/dub and Led Zeppelin

better bring HKUNT with you
    I heard he knows a lot about reggae/dub and Led Zeppelin
    hcrink: BUN DEM!

• I guarantee that what you will get in that lot is hundreds of completely hammered common 7"s. If that's your bag and you want a quick and dirty (emphasis on dirty) reggae singles collection then go in. If you are looking for a few hundred playable records in halfway decent condition I would act with caution.

The same amount of money, well spent, could yield 1/10th of the quantity but 1000% of the quality.

I am no longer tempted.

• How horrible could those songs be, Hogg?

As someone who has easily flipped through/bought that many 45s in my life, I will tell you that many can be pretty horrible.

Consider this: 75 to 100 new singles come out in Jamaica every week. How many of those do you think are super hot?

Also, my point about linking to Frank's Favorite Auction is that the seller says that the lot contains "all kinds of chunes." The same could be said for those sad 45s on the doily.

• Damn, I didn't know the Jamaican biz was that productive!

You said doily...

Thanks for the response, Hogg.

• kalakala 3,361 Posts
    its such a crap shoot
    it could be mostly new dancehall-just think 1986-2007
    or rinked with sand and dirt
    or maybe unplayed 60s/70s insanity
    magnetic should eyeball it ASAP if he can

What's 7 hours of Reynaldo time worth? Gotta factor that shit in.
    The amount of post-inspection recharge time that I would require (a period for which I would be wholly unproductive) would also be substantial. $70 per hour might make it worth my time.

• magneticmagnetic 2,678 Posts

magnetic should eyeball it ASAP if he can

I see some Fat Eyes labels in the pic
    It could be some 90's dancehall era stuff.

• cpeetzcpeetz 2,112 Posts
    I guarantee that what you will get in that lot is hundreds of completely hammered common 7"s. If that's your bag and you want a quick and dirty (emphasis on dirty) reggae singles collection then go in. If you are looking for a few hundred playable records in halfway decent condition I would act with caution.

Listen to the man, he speaks the truth.
    No way telegift is letting raers in good shape go out by the kilo.
    I've bought from him in the past and he can't grade for shit.
    My advice when dealing with him is to buy stuff with soundclips, it's the only
    way to make sure you know what you are in for.