Cumbia!!!

don_gigantedon_gigante 259 Posts
edited November 2007 in Strut Central
seems to be alot floating around out there...recommendations? favorites? id have to go w/ this one here. Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket...belonged to my grandfather (RIP/happy bday)...i have vague memories of hearing this record as a lil rugrat....he was pretty meticulous with his vinyl and catalogued them by number (by writing on the sleeve ...this one was purchased in D.F. circa 1964 by a sibling of his....great album btw and if u have anything similar for sale plz do holler

Comments

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,080 Posts
    Coincidentally, I found a couple nice cumbia records yesterday at a thrift near my new job. To be honest, it hasn't been long since I first started dabbling into this genre when I started having a fascination with trying to teach myself the multitide of Latin percussion rhythms, but I like the sound of cumbia. I especially like the swirly sound of the organs. The Peter Delis is courtesy of hcrink

• cumbias are good times

• very generous of you P*****k....recognized a few of those tunes but most are new and greatly appreciated...check yo pms homey

• first time I really remember opening my ears to cumbia was at a root down party. Dusk dropped some shit that I never would have thought to mix- good times ensued.

since then, one of my all time favorite joints to spin is this track from his "La Musica" mix cd.

Combo Candela - "El Carbonero"

• first time I really remember opening my ears to cumbia was at a root down party. Dusk dropped some shit that I never would have thought to mix- good times ensued.

since then, one of my all time favorite joints to spin is this track from his "La Musica" mix cd.

Combo Candela - "El Carbonero"

hey capitan, thnx for sharing...i play from time to time at a local salsa spot here in austin...i clearly remember one nite in particular droppin this tune...

...this older fella (60-ish) who reminded me of one of uncles came up to me, grinning from ear to ear and said 'I LUF DIS MUSIC' then proceeded to dance like nobodys business....the horns and the vocals make this tune for me...

• 8bits8bits 146 Posts
    is right
    This a great comp. if you are barely getting into it

• I love the old cumbia, but anybody care about / listen to / down with new style cumbia aka cumbia villera? I love this shit but I made a post on it a while back to strictly crickets. Pibes Chorros is probably my favorite so far but there is also good shit from Damas Gratis, Yerba Brava, etc for those interested.

Diplo's latest podcast is also all-cumbia, mostly of the older variety. Some of this shit is fire, especially check the little kid track and the end
    http://maddecent.com/blog/?p=198

• hell yeah, I remember your older post about los pibes. their music is cool, but damn if it ain't hard to play out. shit is just too crazy for your average listener. I'm feeling it though, but don't tell my friends.

• 8bits8bits 146 Posts

Here is a mix that quantic did about a couple months ago on Wax Poetics.

• does anyone here know how to dance to cumbias??

• CBearCBear 902 Posts
    does anyone here know how to dance to cumbias??

I kinda flail my arms around erratically and sing along, but I don't think that's how they did it orginally.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    Julian Y Su Combo

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts

I kinda flail my arms around erratically and sing along, but I don't think that's how they did it orginally.

PAGING DJ 8-Bits.

- spidey

• 8bits8bits 146 Posts

PAGING DJ 8-Bits.

- spidey
    It is all in the hips son!!!!!!!

• Julian Y Su Combo

...i saw your name and expected to find the entire Discos Fuentes discography ready for download ...this shall suffice though...thanks!! exactly the kind of stuff im lookin for...

• This gringo looks mad antsy and uncomfortable.

Cumbia has got to be one of the easiest Latin dances (second only to merengue). Of course, you can always add frills and spins, but the basic step is really basic.

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts

...i saw your name and expected to find the entire Discos Fuentes discography ready for download

CRINGE

...i saw your name and expected to find the entire Discos Fuentes discography ready for download

CRINGE
    My reputation precedes me...

• capt planet-
    thanks for acknowledging the existence of Los Pibes and cumbia villera. I guess nobody else cares for this shit but that's cool. Here's a link to Andrea and a s/t track... maybe I will dig up some others if there is interest (I kinda doubt it).

http://www.zshare.net/audio/5056302aee13b1/
    http://www.zshare.net/audio/5056383787a618/

Yeah, way too slow to play out anywhere in the US but what are you doing trying to play cumbia out somewhere anyway? This stuff is really stoopid and repetetive in a lot of ways, but damn if those froggy synths and silly keytar melodies dont touch a funny nerve with me. And from what I hear the lyrics are hilarious (anybody care to translate?) I know their name is loosely "The Theiving Kids" or something....

Combo Internacional Dinamita

"La Subienda"

"Cumbia Sobre La Arena"

• LokoOneLokoOne 1,823 Posts
    Giolito y Su Conjunto/Combo- Yes It Do

• LokoOneLokoOne 1,823 Posts
    capt planet-
    thanks for acknowledging the existence of Los Pibes and cumbia villera. I guess nobody else cares for this shit but that's cool. Here's a link to Andrea and a s/t track... maybe I will dig up some others if there is interest (I kinda doubt it).

http://www.zshare.net/audio/5056302aee13b1/
    http://www.zshare.net/audio/5056383787a618/

Yeah, way too slow to play out anywhere in the US but what are you doing trying to play cumbia out somewhere anyway? This stuff is really stoopid and repetetive in a lot of ways, but damn if those froggy synths and silly keytar melodies dont touch a funny nerve with me. And from what I hear the lyrics are hilarious (anybody care to translate?) I know their name is loosely "The Theiving Kids" or something....

ah shit...Cumbia Villera!!! Dont forget Damas Gratis...

This is cumbia from the slums, the streets and the jail cells.. when i was in argentina, hip hop was cool and had some street love...but Cumbia Villera was what all the 'pibe chorros' and ganstas where down with.

These boys got in alot of heat cus of their song 'Con Una Nueve en mano' (with a nine in my hand) which is basically a call to arms to do robberies and then shoot out with the cops.... estilo monoblocero.....

this shit is all sex drugs and crime.... but from the heart.....

• magromanmagroman 88 Posts
    Julian Y Su Combo

QUANTIC AND HIS COMBO BARBARO 7" just came out today. The first track is a beautiful guajira off his new LP "Traditions in Transitions", but the b side is a cover of a hot funk track from Julian Y Su Combo "Enyere Kumbara"...
    I'm sure there will be some cumbia on the new lp

Has any one heard it yet??

• disco_chedisco_che 1,115 Posts
    When I stayed six months in Chili I thought I would never be able to listen to Cumbia again. I practically didn't hear anything different than these cheap keyboard horn sections all the time.

After a few piscos at house parties it was pretty OK to dance to (chiliean ladies taught my how to corrcetly swing my hips to it).

That old Cumbia like in the Quantic mix is a different thing. Like it. From the records I picked up in Chili I remember the "Banana 5 - Sabor y Ritmo" to be pretty good.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    I got turned onto cumbia by a few friends in the last year or so. I originally thought, "isn't this just polka?" but it only took hearing a few good cumbia songs - played loud at the clurb - for me to realize how incredibly f*cking awesome cumbia is.

Then the Mochilla guys came through on separate occasions and threw down even more ridiculous shit, most from Colombia, and I was officially hooked.

I need to take a trip to Cali. (And I don't mean the Golden State).

• GrandfatherGrandfather 2,303 Posts
    I got turned onto cumbia by a few friends in the last year or so. I originally thought, "isn't this just polka?" but it only took hearing a few good cumbia songs - played loud at the clurb - for me to realize how incredibly f*cking awesome cumbia is.

Then the Mochilla guys came through on separate occasions and threw down even more ridiculous shit, most from Colombia, and I was officially hooked.

I need to take a trip to Cali. (And I don't mean the Golden State).

cool bump
    i'm listening to a few of the tracks/videos on here that still work and just like you I'm having to change my opinion
    growing up, 90% of the cumbia I heard reminded me of polka and being forced to dance to it at family parties growing up, it makes me a bit salty, some of this other stuff is fresh though.

• GrandfatherGrandfather 2,303 Posts
    "NO MOM! I DON'T WANT TO DANCE"

• discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts
    I really can't hang with most of teh Mexican cumbias out there. Gotta be Central America --> South for me to dig it, usually.

El Salvador has heat.