Cumbia!!!

Comments

• discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts
    Julian Y Su Combo

QUANTIC AND HIS COMBO BARBARO 7" just came out today. The first track is a beautiful guajira off his new LP "Traditions in Transitions", but the b side is a cover of a hot funk track from Julian Y Su Combo "Enyere Kumbara"...
    I'm sure there will be some cumbia on the new lp

Has any one heard it yet??

Where can you buy this? All online shops say mid-June.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    Here's Julian Y Su Combo "Enyere Kumbara" off of Noche de Fiesta

http://www.divshare.com/download/7384449-a26

Re-up of "Cumbia Cumaque??a"

http://www.divshare.com/download/7384520-a8f

• does anyone here know how to dance to cumbias??

I kinda flail my arms around erratically and sing along, but I don't think that's how they did it orginally.

PAGING DJ 8-Bits.

- spidey

You beat me to it.

• Has anyone been in to these?

??

I think they're like 4 or 5 vol's deep now.

I really liked the first vol. but the rest are a little too electric for me. Not hating, just not really up my power alley. I want the conga.

Do "Los Hermanos Latinos" even need to be brought up?

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,889 Posts
    I only own one Cumbia record. I've never been able to find any info on it. Been meaning to rip it to mp3.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Here's a personal favorite - a cumbia/guaguanco cut from the Latin Brothers, "Dulzura En Sol."

Discover Simple, Private Sharing at Drop.io

I really liked the first vol. but the rest are a little too electric for me. Not hating, just not really up my power alley. I want the conga.

i have the first two and like both. i'd have the others, but have not had a chance to get them.

i've also been listening to dj/ruptures "k-k-kumbia" and dj vampiros' "la sonidera colombiana." most of my cumbia listening is via afternoon mix shows on knon out of dallas.

??

Why You hatin on the electro!!!!!!

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts
    I really can't hang with most of teh Mexican cumbias out there. Gotta be Central America --> South for me to dig it, usually.

Sadly, yeah. Mexican Cumbia is better if it's got more of a Rock/Garage vibe. Still a bunch of S. American Cumbias seem to shout out Mexico though. And I think they invented the grito.

Very Be Careful is that shit!

If anyone knows of a Brooklyn venue that could hook up a VBC gig, I think they are still looking for early July. They do a rooftop party in Greenpoint every 4th of July and then used to stumble to Lucky Cat for the late night set when that was still around. 4th/5th maybe. It's always a great time.

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,889 Posts

I encoded the one side to share.

The Latin-Image - Cumbia de Galveston (Mal-Do Records - Austin, Texas)

• I've been wanting to start a thread on this. Glad it popped back up.

Cumbia I like:

De Mexico:

Amandititita

Almost on every cumbia tape ever, but I still like it

De Peru:

De Argentina:

I like everything coming out of ZZK. True, a little too electronic like Bersa Discos, but I still like.

I listen to these mixes in the whip

• willie_fugalwillie_fugal 1,862 Posts
    De Peru:

The guy who compiled this is the owner of Barbes and leader of Chicha Libre. I saw their live show a couple weeks ago and it was one of the most fun concerts I'd seen in a while. Danced my ass off (read: flailed my arms around erratically and sang along). I've since been rocking their album Sonido Amazonico on the regular.

Here's an NPR article from last year (w/some old school Chicha samples too) and two favorites off Sonido Amazonico:

The Hungry Song:

Mi Plato de Barro:

p.s. i'm so happy for this thread. i've been on a kick recently (mostly Fuentes stuff) and this is helping feed the need.

request though: can anyone re-up some of those albums from the 07 posts?

• ageage 1,131 Posts
    Here's some cumbia for y'all

and

Enjoy!

• magromanmagroman 88 Posts
    Julian Y Su Combo

QUANTIC AND HIS COMBO BARBARO 7" just came out today. The first track is a beautiful guajira off his new LP "Traditions in Transitions", but the b side is a cover of a hot funk track from Julian Y Su Combo "Enyere Kumbara"...
    I'm sure there will be some cumbia on the new lp

Has any one heard it yet??

Where can you buy this? All online shops say mid-June.

I HAD copies in at my store NORTHSIDE RECORDS in Australia........fools who distribute it here only bought in about 20 copies....didn't even last a day.

www.northsiderecords.com.au

I will make them get more copies in, but looks like it should be flowing world wide next week.

• Old school scratchy Peruvian Cumbia from WFMU's Beware of the Blog:

Chicha for the Jet Set

• hobo_dhobo_d 331 Posts
    CUMBIA CUMBIA CUMBIA

so infectious!!!!!

Im part of a dj crew down in Austin devoted to cumbia, salsa, boogaloo, descarga and latin sounds in general. Check it out if you got time.

http://www.peligrosablog.com/

here are some remixes we've done and some bonus og steez

CUMBIA REMIXES[/b]

Dj dus - dirt off yr shoulders (JAY-Z cumbia)

Dj Orion - Dos Pa Ti (Camp Lo Cumbia)

Dj Dus - Passin Me By Cumbia

Dj Orion - ritme de juventud (BMORE cumbia)

Dj Orion - La Burita (BMORE cumbia)

OG 60's Cumbias[/b]

mario cavagnaro - san lazaro

edmundo arias - el mecanico

rufo garrido - la cumbia brava

alex acosta - la millionara

lucho bermudez - arroz con coco

andres landero - lolita la cumbiambera

Excellent site. RSS added!

• CUMBIA CUMBIA CUMBIA

Im part of a dj crew down in Austin devoted to cumbia, salsa, boogaloo, descarga and latin sounds in general.

http://www.peligrosablog.com/

Good shit - thanks.

• doisndoisn baleadas&pupuzas 303 Posts
    Los Mozambiques - Noche de Cumbia

does it very well for me!!!!

• a lil phoeniquerra flava, sin microwave...

• sergserg 682 Posts
    I'm a big fan of the Krunk Krew/dj panic/equalizer/energy shit. Southern rap over cumbia is f*cking banging. This tussle remix is my shit

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    Chingo Bling ft Ice "Where The Hataz At?"

Por favor believe it!

I have a couple live ones I do...I need to clean 'em up and rerecord 'em so I can post 'em.

• LokoOneLokoOne 1,823 Posts
    this post rocks (or should I say cumbiea....)

Gotta wait for the boss to bounce so i can get to d/l all them links. Will try and post up some stuff too....

• willie_fugalwillie_fugal 1,862 Posts
    I love the old cumbia, but anybody care about / listen to / down with new style cumbia aka cumbia villera? I love this shit but I made a post on it a while back to strictly crickets. Pibes Chorros is probably my favorite so far but there is also good shit from Damas Gratis, Yerba Brava, etc for those interested.

THIS SONG IS SO COTTAMN CATCHY.

COOOOOOOOOOLLAAAAAAAATTTEEEE UNN DEEEEEEEDDO

YO a bunch of you weisenheimers trying to talk about some Panamanian cigarette girls with Pshop asses being all that with a cricket bat and you haven't even watched this vid at least 5 times in a row? You don't know the real.

PS: this track is also available on my mix from a couple of years ago the LATIN TEMPO vol 1. (recording vol2 as we speak and I am wrecked)