lame "streetwear" thread

dayday 9,611 Posts
edited November 2007 in Strut Central
I'll go first.Blow' t-shirt A new design from In4mation which depicts the Space Shuttle Challenger upon its tragic explosion 73 seconds after the launch of its tenth mission, on January 28, 1986, killing all seven crew members. In4mation triangular crossbones woven label on the right wrist.[/b] 'OHSHIT' t-shirtThis new design from In4mation recalls one of only two times that a nuclear weapon has been used in warfare - the explosion of "Fat Man" over Nagasaki, Japan, on August 9th, 1945 by the United States. The other instance occurred three days earlier at Hiroshima. The Nagasaki bomb lead to Japan's surrender to the Allies, at the cost of tens of thousands of lives - about 80,000 that year, with many more related deaths in years to come - the majority of which were civilians. In4mation triangular crossbones woven label on the right wrist.[/b]Ooh...shocking.

Comments

• NAGL X 1,000,000

• That's totally skurban.

• I bet they wear this, too.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    Whoops. I thought this was a thread about lam??[/b] streetwear. Carry on.

• Whoops. I thought this was a thread about lam?? streetwear. Carry on.

hahahaha.

I would cop.

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    Whoops. I thought this was a thread about lam??[/b] streetwear. Carry on.

My great aunt used to wear gold Nikes like that when she went out to play tennis in her late 80s. (I'm unsure whether what she did constituted "playing" tennis, but it was still pretty cool)

Those t-shirts are a borderline hate crime.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    Those t-shirts are a borderline hate crime.

Hey (getting back on topic): ignorance and blind shock sells. And the wearer can always cop out with a quick "I'm wearing this for political reasons" or "this event changed my/my parents' generation forever."

Now you know why no one respects art anymore - it all looks too much like some flavor-of-the-day design on an overpriced bullshit t-shirt.

• I cram to understand.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    This is another example how corny and oblivious people are.

Speaking of fashion, I was driving down Fairfax today. I came across this store right next to a thrift that had the entire wall enclosed in this glass window shit. I believe the brand was "Alife" or something? Price tags were slapped on the side of each prominently displayed t-shirt or hoody. It was one of the most corniest pieces of shit I've ever seen. Too many of these wannabe stussy boutique shit's popping up and too many herbs standing in line trying to cop that shit!!!

Carry on with hating fashion, people.

I wonder if the "LA Riots series" is up next?

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    I wonder if the "LA Riots series" is up next?

I believe 100% that this will actually happen.

• I bet they wear this, too.

The Arab Parrot is a lame streetwear blog that makes fun of other lame streetwear blogs.

• "streetwear" is lame, can't you dudes just call it fashion and get over feelin' about it? And those gold nike's are def at the intersection on old people and hip... like cardigans [color:white] hermie, I'm looking at you... [/color]

• streetwear: a tax on lame and insecure people.

• ostost Montreal 1,375 Posts

guys wearing wak ass fake fur jackets and I gotta mention those ridiculous t-shirts that are so long they loog like dresses...

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    I'll go first.

Blow' t-shirt

A new design from In4mation which depicts the Space Shuttle Challenger upon its tragic explosion 73 seconds after the launch of its tenth mission, on January 28, 1986, killing all seven crew members. In4mation triangular crossbones woven label on the right wrist.[/b]

'OHSHIT' t-shirt

This new design from In4mation recalls one of only two times that a nuclear weapon has been used in warfare - the explosion of "Fat Man" over Nagasaki, Japan, on August 9th, 1945 by the United States. The other instance occurred three days earlier at Hiroshima. The Nagasaki bomb lead to Japan's surrender to the Allies, at the cost of tens of thousands of lives - about 80,000 that year, with many more related deaths in years to come - the majority of which were civilians. In4mation triangular crossbones woven label on the right wrist.[/b]

Ooh...shocking.

Ok, I'll play devil's advocate here cause i'm kinda drunk...

What if those images were put up in a museum? I'm sure they have in some capacity, but would they be as inflammatory then? What is the difference inherently in displaying "art" on a t-shirt and up on some building.

I would NEVER wear anything like that. I guess i'm not cool enough. But a lot of art is supposed to be dangerous. Was the intent to glamorize these events or to provoke thought?

Ok dumb psuedo academic rant over.

• Not only is that jacket fugly, hes about to trip on his shoelaces.

• streetwear: a tax on lame and insecure people.

I disagree. I think you'd have to be pretty ballsy to wear some of this shit. I'm way too insecure to be seen in anything in this thread.

• What if those images were put up in a museum?

Swastika on t-shirts.

Swastika in museum.

Context is everything.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    What if those images were put up in a museum?

Swastika on t-shirts.

Swastika in museum.

Context is everything.

Though it seems that the people behind these shirts are trying to push the context of how seriously we should take a t-shirt? Dunno maybe their just trying to make $$$ offa douchebags that want to be shocking. It seems that intent is everything too.

• ostost Montreal 1,375 Posts
    OHHHH shitt !!! I had forgotten about that vomit inducing Soldja Boy.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    in4mation is a hawaii-based brand =P

and comparing the way soulja boy dresses to this garbage shows a high level of disconnection

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts
    What if those images were put up in a museum?

Swastika on t-shirts.

Swastika in museum.

Context is everything.

Though it seems that the people behind these shirts are trying to push the context of how seriously we should take a t-shirt?

A shift in context like you're describing can't be achieved unilaterally.

• i liked it when dudes were rocking ski goggles.

• dudes clothes are one step away from

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    i will say this. even though the people who made that shirt are japanese and can go on some "we are expressing our feelings regarding this incident" blah blah bullshit, a t-shirt is really not a great venue for it. a t-shirt at the most offers a quick glance in which a first impression is quickly established. it offers no explanation. at the VERY least, there could be some blurb on how a portion of the money made from the shirts go to some hiroshima survivor fund or whatever.

i find it really funny that these were made here cos i can think of several places off the top of my head that you would get your ass beaten in if you wore that shit

• i will say this. even though the people who made that shirt are japanese and can go on some "we are expressing our feelings regarding this incident" blah blah bullshit, a t-shirt is really not a great venue for it. a t-shirt at the most offers a quick glance in which a first impression is quickly established. it offers no explanation. at the VERY least, there could be some blurb on how a portion of the money made from the shirts go to some hiroshima survivor fund or whatever.

i find it really funny that these were made here cos i can think of several places off the top of my head that you would get your ass beaten in if you wore that shit

What bothers me is these boutique streetwear companies' shameless exploitation of political issues for cash. The designers pretty clearly don't give a shit, the messages are often incoherent or hackneyed to the point of being stupid, and the t-shirts cost $40, the majority of which goes into the pockets of the designers and Digital Gravel. I remember a couple years ago when that site would sell shirts with some corny rasterized image of guns from some corny company and the little product description blurb talked about the purported "message" of the shirt being about how "lax gun laws make accessibility easy for kids and blah blah blah." Within a couple months they were selling all over print hoodies with the "ill uzis and m-16s." It's a farce. And generally, anything that aestheticizes suffering is a touchy and conflicted subject.

i will say this. even though the people who made that shirt are japanese and can go on some "we are expressing our feelings regarding this incident" blah blah bullshit, a t-shirt is really not a great venue for it. a t-shirt at the most offers a quick glance in which a first impression is quickly established. it offers no explanation. at the VERY least, there could be some blurb on how a portion of the money made from the shirts go to some hiroshima survivor fund or whatever.

What bothers me is these boutique streetwear companies' shameless exploitation of political issues for cash. The designers pretty clearly don't give a shit, the messages are often incoherent or hackneyed to the point of being stupid, and the t-shirts cost $40, the majority of which goes into the pockets of the designers and Digital Gravel. I remember a couple years ago when that site would sell shirts with some corny rasterized image of guns from some corny company and the little product description blurb talked about the purported "message" of the shirt being about how "lax gun laws make accessibility easy for kids and blah blah blah." Within a couple months they were selling all over print hoodies with the "ill uzis and m-16s." It's a farce. And generally, anything that aestheticizes suffering is a touchy and conflicted subject.

Well said.

• Not only is that jacket fugly, hes about to trip on his shoelaces.

Tell Will I Am to keep Diddy out of his closet.