Torrent downloading question...

SouthCrackalackSouthCrackalack 3,853 Posts
edited November 2007 in Strut Central
I have used torrents for a few years now, but now when I try to download them..they never work. I always get error messages and shit. I use an older version of BitTornado and I am wondering if that might be the reason. Can anyone recommend a good program to use(free)? I am specifically trying to find font torrents on the information superhighway..so if anyone has any tips for searching for these, too..then by all means feel free to share any info,tips,etc on where to find the good stuff. Since I never see any real descriptions with these large font downloads, i'd prefer to skip all the bullshit if possible.

Comments

• magneticmagnetic 2,678 Posts
    I use bitcomet 0.70 this version is virtually problem free.

• Cool..works for me..i'll try finding it now.

• Just DLed..wow, this is totally different than the shitty program I was using.

• You on Comcast? They're blocking bittorrent files.

• Nah, not Comcast...Charter.

I just tried a few downloads with this new program and nothing seems to be working on this one either. Damn. I hope my provider isnt blocking them as well. That would make a little sense though as to why nothing will download. I havent downloaded a torrent in several months..so that could be it.

• Ok, ignore that last post...I have a download working now(slow as hell, but working).

• ZEN2ZEN2 1,540 Posts
    You on Comcast? They're blocking bittorrent files.

I'm about to switch because of this.

Has anyone on here successfully implemented a workaround?

• I use Azureus. Some find it too bulky but it works for me. It's important to note that some private torrents sites will only let you connect if you are using one of the better clients. I.E. Azureus, uTorrent, etc. This was the case with Oink and remains the case with KG.

I also have Bit Comet which I use occasionally. One big advantage of BC is that you can download one file within a torrent at a time. That means if there is a TV torrent with a seasons worth of episodes..you can just get the ones you need. Very handy.

If your torrents are crawling along I have two other suggestions.

1) PORT FORWARDING. If you are using a router there is a pretty good chance that the slowness will improve w/ port forwarding. Semi involved process, but worth it. http://portforward.com/routers.htm

2) reset your connection. turn off and turn on. We didn't know about our ISP's increase until we randomly reset our router. We went from an average upload of 55 kb/s to 125 kb/s and downloads as high as 400 kb/s!

• Hey L****n!

Knowledge dropped on the bit torrent game, I'm gonna check out this port forwarding you speak of. Also, I am able to download select files with Azureus in a specific torrent, as long as the torrent isn't for an archived/zipped file. I found a bunch of huge music video torrents that I would go through and just check the actual videos I wanted and it worked pretty well. Maybe you are using a different version or something? I dunno. Anyway, hope all's well, tell J** and L***a I said what up!

-B

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    I found a bunch of huge music video torrents...

• dj_pidj_pi 335 Posts
    Azuereus is ok...but I didn't like the whole media player thing built into it and all the additional stuff they were trying to put into it.

BitComet was what I used for a while...but always crashed on em.

I use uTorrent (the u is actually Greek letter mu) and recommend it to everyone. Fast, compact, no extra crap, and very customizable.

http://www.utorrent.com/

Also, not sure with the other clients, but with uTorrent you can enable it to use a different random port each time you start the program. That way, if someone is monitoring that port, it'll be changed the next time you start up. On top of that, you can allow encryption on the stream being sent over which I recommend as well.

• I found a bunch of huge music video torrents...

I don't get it, what'd I say?

• I found a bunch of huge music video torrents...

There is totally music in those videos, Drew.

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts
    You on Comcast? They're blocking bittorrent files.

I'm about to switch because of this.

Has anyone on here successfully implemented a workaround?

This must be regional. I have no trouble with torrents on Comcast. Have you guys tried changing your ports?

• Hey B***n,

I'll definitely tell Joe and Lei whats up. He's actually living in SF right now, working, and going to LA on the weekends to make music with Noel. He's coming home soon! What are you guys doing for Thanksgiving?

----

I am definitely going to give uTorrent it a try at some point. Several friends have spoken highly of it. I'm confused about what you said about Azureus though. My version, and I think I have the latest one, doesn't have a media player and previous versions didn't either. Bit Comet is the one that had the embedded player and I found that cumbersome and annoying but easily turned off.
    ---
    Apparently with both uTorrent and Azureus (although I haven't figured it out yet) you can download rss plug in's! These will auto download your TV Shows as soon as they are posted, or what ever other recurring torrents you might be in to.

Sounds

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    utorrent is whats really and it takes less than a minute to setup all the rss feeds shit. utorrent also uses a lot less system resources than all the other bit torrent clients i have used (azureus in particular)