CLASSICS that suck...

Comments

• PonyPony 2,283 Posts

I don't ever have to hear "I Feel Good" again, especially considering JB's body of work.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    I knew the day would come when knownot whippersnappers would lean so heavily on their retrospective orientation to the unfuckwittable classic soul/funk music of my childhood that they would literally cement the generation gap between us and them to a complete impasse, but I still don't want to believe that that day is here.

^^^ a prize for anyone who can decipher this ^^^

You think your perspective on soul/funk is as valid as mine, despite the fact that you weren't around to experience it when it was originally popping off. You are adamant in your stance, which renders a reasonable dialogue between we two on the subject impossible. I knew it would happen eventually, but I'd like to think it has not yet come to that.

Or thereabouts.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts

War - Lowrider

Yup.

California Girls - Beach Boys
    Blue Monday - New Order
    Humpty Dance - DigiUnderground
    Oh My God - Tribe/Busta

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Big difference, in my eyes at least, between something that has been overplayed and something that "sucks".

• I don't ever have to hear "I Feel Good" again, especially considering JB's body of work.

'I Got The Feelin',' always feels like the same song, only better.

I can get behind this, and I'll cosign 'Respect.'

I will also add:

"Let's Get it On," which is just so much tacky wedding funk at this point.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    this is a CLASSIC thread that (always) sucks.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts

"Let's Get it On," which is just so much tacky wedding funk at this point.

Never that son.

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts
    I think people have moved from "sucks" to "overplayed" in record time.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    I never want to hear scenario, or choice is yours remix again in my life...period.
    not that they're bad, but i just can't stomach them any more. i've been hearing people recite the lyrics since i was in 8th grade. it's not a sing along, and you're not "down" because you know the words, becky.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    I never want to hear scenario, or choice is yours remix again in my life...period.
    not that they're bad, but i just can't stomach them any more. i've been hearing people recite the lyrics since i was in 8th grade. it's not a sing along, and you're not "down" because you know the words, becky.

Chickity-Chocolate, the Chocolate Chicken!

how about Option 3 being that you never liked it in the first place? would not go as far as to say my picks suck, but that I never felt them in the first place. ok - Blue Monday I liked until the drum machine kicks in.

• "Let's Get it On," which is just so much tacky wedding funk at this point.

Never that son.

This more than any of my other choices is probably guilty of my judgement as 'overplayed,' rather than, 'sucks,' I will admit.

That said...IllSON, at this point in our history, that song DEFINES the white-man's-overbite.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    ok - Blue Monday I liked until the drum machine kicks in.

haha! that's not too long, since the first sound in the
    entire track is an electronic kick drum ... but you knew that ...

• Humpty Dance - DigiUnderground

I am from the Bay and was actually listening to rap when this came out. But I have never, ever liked this joint. that is to say, it's not really an issue of "played out." I always thought it was weak. hatt me now.

• PonyPony 2,283 Posts

how about Option 3 being that you never liked it in the first place?

That's what I was going for, I said "sucks" for dramatic effect.

• PonyPony 2,283 Posts

Call me disconnected but I've missed all these threads (focusing on single songs rather than artists). Although I've seen my share of Dylan/Beatles sucks etc threads...

Maybe not! I mean that duh-duh-duh-duh-duh-duh fast succession drum sound that comes after geh-geh-geh-geh-geh geh-geh-geh-geh-geh more keyboardy sounding part...does that song start off with the duh-duh-duh-duh-duh-duh?

• PonyPony 2,283 Posts

Maybe not! I mean that duh-duh-duh-duh-duh-duh fast succession drum sound that comes after geh-geh-geh-geh-geh geh-geh-geh-geh-geh more keyboardy sounding part...does that song start off with the duh-duh-duh-duh-duh-duh?

The 12" version starts with the kick drum.

Oh! OK...anyway, I don't like that song.

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts

Yeah.... 'low rider' and a few other cuts mentioned may fall into the later, but not the former category.

And while I'm here: I can't Frickin' stand Kiss.

• PonyPony 2,283 Posts
    Kiss

The band or the song?

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Alright, I thought of one...

Sugar Hill Gang - Rapper's Delight

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    Kiss

The band or the song?

The freakin' band!

Call me disconnected but I've missed all these threads (focusing on single songs rather than artists). Although I've seen my share of Dylan/Beatles sucks etc threads...

i feel what you're saying. this is more about played out. i do weddings. so i NEVER listen to those songs except at a gig. and at that point, people go so crazy that it makes you learn to deal--and even like some played shit.

however, Gaye's version of Heard it Through the Grapevine is a very important piece of American art. It deserves its own thread. just listen to his phrasing alone.

but I can't heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeellllp bein' confused

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts

Saying though - we're switching the topic here. It's not a question of songs you're sick of b/c you've heard them too much.

It's CLASSICS THAT SUCK and I think this implies that these "classics" have ALWAYS sucked to you.

• PonyPony 2,283 Posts

It's CLASSICS THAT SUCK and I think this implies that these "classics" have ALWAYS sucked to you.

Exactly!

however, Gaye's version of Heard it Through the Grapevine is a very important piece of American art. It deserves its own thread. just listen to his phrasing alone.

That's not a good enough reason to like a song.

That's cool, but what's the purpose of this thread anyhow? Who really gives a fuck if a couple of shut-ins like Bustin' Loose or Humtpy Dance? Them shits are unstoppable at his point. Good luck.

• PonyPony 2,283 Posts

That's cool, but what's the purpose of this thread anyhow? Who really gives a fuck if a couple of shut-ins like Bustin' Loose or Humtpy Dance? Them shits are unstoppable at his point. Good luck.

I for one, find it interesting. A lot of the tracks mentioned by others could have easily been on my list.

What's the purpose of any thread? To kill some time, have a laugh, and maybe learn something.

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts
    f---ing american pie
    f---ing buttercup
    f---ing sweet caroline

• 900 number

are we talking the instrumental or the rap version with lakim shabazz?

Both, that beat sucks.

agreed