Previewing records in the thrifts

12346»

Comments

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    what if you like to limit your spending for a given week on things like records (i mean--while they seem necessary for our survival, you also like to have money in the bank just in case a accident or something comes up (like a date)?[/b]

The Crate Diggin Lifestyle Manul advises that, prior to attending an actual date, all potential lovers should complete a two page questionnaire on plans for the future and give two minutes at Third Base to ensure that time and money spent on wooing this particular individual would not be a poor investment.

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts

Anyways, I think the portable has a lot of utility; however, I do get annoyed with how a lot of these new school diggers carry they shit.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    my local Goodwill Manager

doing anything with your local Goodwill Manager is what's creepy. especially if it's the regional manager.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    If you know your shit, you'll get to the point where you can gather what sort of records you will find interesting enough to buy without needle dropping them first. 8 times out of 10 anyway.

Exactly. I believe it's called "learning".

If you know your shit, you'll get to the point where you can gather what sort of records you will find interesting enough to buy without needle dropping them first. 8 times out of 10 anyway.

Which happens by listening--wherever. But your insistence that this must be done at home doesn't surprise me.

Which happens by listening--wherever. But your insistence that this must be done at home doesn't surprise me.

Just because it sucks doesn't mean it's not worth buying.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

Can you please[/b] make this the masthead on Waxidermy?

OK. Hold on. We need an operational definition of 'sucks'.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts

doing anything with your local Goodwill Manager is what's creepy. especially if it's the regional manager.

You asked for it........

True story

In the early 90's I was hitting up all the Thrifts in Dallas and some store stock, Northern soul 45's began springing up at various Goodwills. After about 3 weeks of scoring titles at every location I decided to go to their main warehouse/office and see if I could cut to the chase and see the bulk of what was obviously a big score.

When I got there and spoke to the secretary she told me that going in the main warehouse was against company policy and blew me off. These 45's were just eating at me so about a week later I decided to call and ask to speak to the "boss". When the operator told me the gentleman's name I needed to speak to the name was very familar although I couldn't put my finger on it.

After a few calls I finally got through to him and it winds up I used to work with the dude. And after catching up on old times he tells me that even though they don't allow it, he would let me come in ONE time and look ONLY at the pallet of 45's. In return I told him I would pay double the price of what they charge in their stores($0.25) for the records.

So I get there and he leads me to a pallet of about 100 boxes of 200 45's each. All in stock sleeves and all unplayed. I spend about 2 hours and pull about 1,000 45's. The load was from a Chicago distributor but had lots of Detroit and Midwest titles. Not being too hip to the Soul game at the time I was most excited about the Jackson 5 Steeltown's and Cobra blues 45's. I thank my buddy and tell him I'll buy the rest as they trickle out to the store.

About 2 weeks later I get a call from a UK collector who is in town and has heard about my score. He comes by my house and buys every single record and I get about 8x my investment. When he asks where I found them I relay the story.

At this point I realize that this is a goldmine but I don't have the balls to call the Goodwill dude back and beg him to get in there again. he had made it pretty clear that this was a one time deal and that he could get in trouble.

A few months pass and these 45's have stopped trickling out to the sattelite stores. And then one day I run into the Goodwill dude and ask him why the records stopped being sent out to the store.

"Your friend from England came by, told me that you had sent him , and he bought every last one of them"!!!!

D'oh!!!!!

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    I'm sorry - why is this thread 4 pages?

I don't understand the problem: a portable turntable is a tool that is helpful in some digging contexts, but alos unnecesary in others. Anyonw who says a) I listen to EVERY record before spwending more than 10 cents on it, or b) anyone who uses a portable isa fool, is, quite simply, a moron.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts

You asked for it........

True story

In the early 90's I was hitting up all the Thrifts in Dallas and some store stock, Northern soul 45's began springing up at various Goodwills. After about 3 weeks of scoring titles at every location I decided to go to their main warehouse/office and see if I could cut to the chase and see the bulk of what was obviously a big score.

When I got there and spoke to the secretary she told me that going in the main warehouse was against company policy and blew me off. These 45's were just eating at me so about a week later I decided to call and ask to speak to the "boss". When the operator told me the gentleman's name I needed to speak to the name was very familar although I couldn't put my finger on it.

After a few calls I finally got through to him and it winds up I used to work with the dude. And after catching up on old times he tells me that even though they don't allow it, he would let me come in ONE time and look ONLY at the pallet of 45's. In return I told him I would pay double the price of what they charge in their stores($0.25) for the records.

So I get there and he leads me to a pallet of about 100 boxes of 200 45's each. All in stock sleeves and all unplayed. I spend about 2 hours and pull about 1,000 45's. The load was from a Chicago distributor but had lots of Detroit and Midwest titles. Not being too hip to the Soul game at the time I was most excited about the Jackson 5 Steeltown's and Cobra blues 45's. I thank my buddy and tell him I'll buy the rest as they trickle out to the store.

About 2 weeks later I get a call from a UK collector who is in town and has heard about my score. He comes by my house and buys every single record and I get about 8x my investment. When he asks where I found them I relay the story.

At this point I realize that this is a goldmine but I don't have the balls to call the Goodwill dude back and beg him to get in there again. he had made it pretty clear that this was a one time deal and that he could get in trouble.

A few months pass and these 45's have stopped trickling out to the sattelite stores. And then one day I run into the Goodwill dude and ask him why the records stopped being sent out to the store.

"Your friend from England came by, told me that you had sent him , and he bought every last one of them"!!!!

D'oh!!!!!

I dream about finding a haul like that. In fact it's a recurring dream.

"Your friend from England came by...

That's pretty much how every tragic digger story starts/ends.

"Your friend from England came by...

That's pretty much how every tragic digger story starts/ends.

This is sooo true!

OK. Hold on. We need an operational definition of 'sucks'.

For example, I'd have bought Jonny's Led Zep test press for a buck even though one listen would prove that it sucked.

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    Hi-oooohhhh!

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts

For example, I'd have bought Jonny's Led Zep test press for a buck even though one listen would prove that it sucked.
    C'mon man, Led Zep 1 ain't a bad album.

• why even have them then? i mean they are cool and all-- but what is the practical use for them? just to have as museum like fodder for your pad? i say no go.

might be wack to some of you audiophilistines, but i do a good part of my listenig on portables around the house...kitchen, shower, study. i dont really go to my record room a lot, cause it is a black hole of time and productivity.

most of my portables arent working properly anyway
    i definitely dont bring the out the house much at all. too much hassle, and if i see cheap records, its fun to chance it.

Man, i hear those portable needles don't treat your raers too well.

::son don't risk it::

• I will never play a record on this piece of shit.

I will never play a record on this piece of shit.

Not much worse than those concord cartridges.