Previewing records in the thrifts

Comments

• i am of the belief that if you havent bought a million and one dollar bin turds, then you arent really a diggeur. i mean, part of the experience is finding out for yourself. which is why i never understood "lists".

There's some great lists out there, but yeah, someone's had to buy the million and one turds.

"HOW MANY CRATES DO YOU HAVE?" "15" "LESS THAN 200, SO: NOT ENOUGH"

"HOW MANY TURDS HAVE YOU BOUGHT?" "899,764" "LESS THAN A MILLION AND ONE: NOT ENOUGH"

Conversations that preclude one's realization that they aren't living the crate-digging lifestyle.......

youre missing the point.

• So, you're saying that a) more than 9/10 of your knowledge is of music you don't actually like

what dont you understand about this? it makes perfect sense to me.

puhlease. this is so obviously a cd reissue and not the OG record. you think a real digger like me wouldnt know?

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    dudes are sounding hella poor on here

buying bad records is part of paying the cost to be the boss

---

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts

So, you're saying that a) more than 9/10 of your knowledge is of music you don't actually like

what dont you understand about this? it makes perfect sense to me.

puhlease. this is so obviously a cd reissue and not the OG record. you think a real digger like me wouldnt know?

The picture disc seems to be UNGOOGLEABLE.

• My eyes ... the goggles do nothing.

• The picture disc seems to be UNGOOGLEABLE.

the flip side has kevin bacon riding a kitchen chair reverse cowgirl with his white buttondown affixed to the 4th button. i'll post pics in the fake threads find tomorrow.

kick off ur sunday shoes bitches.

• i am of the belief that if you havent bought a million and one dollar bin turds, then you arent really a diggeur. i mean, part of the experience is finding out for yourself. which is why i never understood "lists".

There's some great lists out there, but yeah, someone's had to buy the million and one turds.

"HOW MANY TURDS HAVE YOU BOUGHT?" "899,764" "LESS THAN A MILLION AND ONE: NOT ENOUGH"

Conversations that preclude one's realization that they aren't living the crate-digging lifestyle.......

youre missing the point.

No, I don't think I am. I never once claimed to be a digger. I come here for the cocktail weinies.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts

---

like i said, i buy bad records here and there-- but i like to weed the worst of the worst out when at the thrifts by listening to them---and i manage to still take chances on some bad ones -- even after listening to them.

the way i see it, is if i pay 20-30 dollars a week on gas money to drive around eastern pa/nj and occasionally ny to dig for records on weekends--i am going to want to save some money by putting some back. and using the portable has saved me hundreds of dollars on terrible records that are mostly worthless to ebay diggers as well.

that is rent. that is gas. that is meals and meals. that is money you have for other things.

maybe if i was in a higher income bracket, i probably wouldn't bother with thrifts and just do the stores. but that doesn't interest me near as much.

youre missing the point.

No, I don't think I am. I never once claimed to be a digger. I come here for the cocktail weinies.

ive always wondered what cocktails comes with the wienies? cuz i know for a fact they dont come with beer or whiskey.

• What's funny is there are very, very few "dollar bins" in Austin.

FoS has good dollar bins and so does End of an Ear. Places like Goodwill and HPB charge $2 - $5 minimum.

I reckon you can find sub-$1 records around town if you wanna deal w/ the garage sale scene.

No, I don't think I am. I never once claimed to be a digger.

You alwasy claim this. Aside from the absence of cargo pants and a chin beard, what exactly makes one "not a digger"?

i hate lists. i like hunting them out. but that doesn't mean you can't weed out the crap here and there. and i've bought turds-- tons of them. i mean-- you all see my weekend record finds-- but you don't see half of them (generally)-- those are the highlights. i'm not putting in a rare tom jones interview lp that i picked up in the weekly pictures though it may be a $ record, but it isn't what i care about--or what strutters (usually) care about. and i may pick up a bunch of classicals--but same thing. in other words-- that dakar you know and love as the cheapskate with the 10 cent to a dollar finds may have spent double the amount that weekend for records. but i always end up on top. the goal is to let my record habit pay for itself--and it more than has.

Haha dude I think you are the exception in this thread. You buy a LOT of records. Portable use in thrift store excused.

If a dude is freaked about possibly bringing home a couple of duds, they should probably stick to record shops or ebay. I mean, you could go into a stock warehouse or a big record collection and look at literally PALLETS of records you've never seen. What are you gonna do, sit with your portable going box by box, listening to everything that looks interesting??

For instance, I didn't know much about reggae 3 years ago - I knew enough to like certain artists and have a couple nice records. But what do you do when you look at 3000 reggae 12" singles? Listen to them all? The first major collection I ever bought was maybe 5 boxes of major label disco. I would've been there all week in order to listen to everything I didn't know. I bought most of it and I should have bought it all. Gotta break some eggs to make omelettes. I am sure there are other cheesy turns of phrase to describe this...

• clean fingernails.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts

---

Whatever. I was in Waynesboro, VA a few weeks ago. Came up on a huge collection of privates. Mostly Xtian Retarded and High School Bands. About 40 copies of every record. Sealed. The covers were great. I had that feeling like I just hit the motherlode. All of it was terrible. ALL OF IT. I bought two records. Without the portable I would have bought everything. ~500 records.

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts

---

Sayin'. I've got piles of shitty records staring me in the face right now. I even buy records that I KNOW are going to suck. If it has a stock sunset cover, I am buying that joint even if the back says 'covers of all your favorite polka hits'.

• I seriously can't believe people are griping about spending $1 on some crap. How did you learn about records in the first place? Is there no fun anymore in taking chances? You think you're gonna go out there and find Heitkotter or Blackout Sounds 70 without buying boxes, goddamn YARDS worth of bad records?? Does it have to be worth money or some shit for you to buy it? Get the fuck outta here. I can't believe that bullshit. Dudes spend $3.50 on records and then freak out when they suck and are not worth anything?? Throw them on the curb and keep it moving! What's wrong with you? I am surrounded with records ALL DAY and the ONLY FUN SHIT TO DO is to look through a bunch of crap I don't know priced at 50 cents a piece. How do you think new rarities get found? On ebay? Frickin' losers. If $5 is too much for you to lose get a better job or drink less beer. You should be ashamed of yourselves. The dude who is wanking around with his portable in the thrift store dollar stacks and freaking out is playing himself and disrespecting the legacy.

Like I said to you at WFMU : $5 RECORDS ARE THE NEW DOLLAR BIN

But a portable at the thrift store? Are you kidding me?
    Maybe you think you'll catch the clap because you overspent on a record?
    Do you also pre-taste a bite of everything on the $1 menu at Burger King?
    I mean, some of that shit might not be worth the dollar spent, but records?
    You can juice at least $10 of pleasure out of a freakin' Rupert Holmes LP and that shit is virtually free everywhere you go.

LIVE A LITTLE

I even buy records that I KNOW are going to suck. If it has a stock sunset cover, I am buying that joint even if the back says 'covers of all your favorite polka hits'.

This is when I realized I'd passed the point of no return.

• high_chigh_c 1,384 Posts
    I am buying that joint even if the back says 'covers of all your favorite polka hits'.

Newbies take note

POSSIBLE GAME OVER

• I even buy records that I KNOW are going to suck. If it has a stock sunset cover, I am buying that joint even if the back says 'covers of all your favorite polka hits'.

The above activity was so 2001.

COVERLESS IN 2007, DAWG

• No, I don't think I am. I never once claimed to be a digger.

You alwasy claim this. Aside from the absence of cargo pants and a chin beard, what exactly makes one "not a digger"?

I'll tackle this with a straight face. I thought "diggers" hit up all kinds of spots to find dirt-cheap records to listen to, sample or sell. What I mean is I don't spend a lot of time hitting second-hand spots to look for records. I make a weekly or bi-weekly trip to FoS or End of an Ear. I like to browse ebay at work. I buy from set sales. That's 96% of the records I acquire right there. I'm content to pay "retail" or "market" prices for records I've learned about, wanted for a long time or had recommended to me by my friends who run the shops.

Maybe this is faulty, but a lot of you guys make cash selling records...don't you need guys like me?

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,889 Posts
    this thread is becoming an instant classic

• I even buy records that I KNOW are going to suck. If it has a stock sunset cover, I am buying that joint even if the back says 'covers of all your favorite polka hits'.

this is just the first step. ive walked into a junk shop, looked through a pile of shit records, and left with an even more worthless bag of boardgames and ephemera.

I don't get what so 'big dude' or 'livin it up' about buying shitty records?

POSSIBLE GAME OVER

Please. That's a ridiculous comparison.

• I don't get what so 'big dude' or 'livin it up' about buying shitty records?

^^^ PURCHASER OF MANY SHITTY RECORDS ^^^

^^^ PURCHASER OF MANY SHITTY PABLO[/b] RECORDS ^^^

• Do you also pre-taste a bite of everything on the $1 menu at Burger King?

POSSIBLE GAME OVER

Please. That's a ridiculous comparison.

Well, I've never seen or heard of the Double Malibu Chicken Rings on Burger King, so how do I know I am going to like them without tasting them first? Because, you know, I refuse to surrender my dollar to explore.

^^^ PURCHASER OF MANY SHITTY RECORDS ^^^

Scenario:

So you're in Shitstock, OH.

There's five boxes of unmarked test pressings that just got put out as you walk up.

What you gonna do?

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts

Double Malibu Chicken Rings on Burger King

I tried these. Def not worth the dollar.