old people slang and idioms

Comments

• boondoggle (used by politicians when someone fux up)
    kit n kaboodle (as in "the whole")
    hogwash
    colored fella

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    my friend Rose, who heard the (intentionally butchered, I'm sure) phrase "go to the mattress" in some bullshit flick (Godfather or something) and kept crying foul when I would say "go to the mat," like a normal person.

I think "Go The mattress" is a legit saying. I think its mob slang.

Yeah, you may be right.

At the time of the aformentioned beef, every person I asked about it who was familiar with the phrase 1) defined it exactly as one would define "going to the mat" (that is, as "going all the way" or "going all out"), 2) couldn't give any plausible origin (a la "go to the mat"'s obvious origin in wrestling), and 3) qualified their definition with, "You know, like they say in The Godfather." Because of this, I maintained that "go to the mattress" was really more of a movie quote than it was a legitimate saying. I'm just cranky like that.

Upon quick interweb research just now, though, it appears that the saying does have some legitimacy: "going to the mattress" was a mob thing implying that you had called in out-of-town reinforcements for whom you'd provided beds, implying that you were ready for a long fight.

My apologies, Rose, wherever you are. You can keep the fin.

• my folks come from midwestern backgrounds so I have picked up a lot of sayings that got people when I say them:

6 to 1, half dozen of the other
    slow as molasses in february
    tomayto, tomahto
    tarnation
    heavens to betsy

I think a google search of Montgomery Burns dialogue from the simpsons would yield a lot of cool results.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    6 to 1, half dozen of the other

6 of[/b] 1, half dozen of the other.

• tomfoolery

I have my own modified version of this:

jackassery

as in "His tomfoolery is a perfect example of male jackassery"

• Montgomery Burns dialogue

"23 skidoo!"

• number-related again, but I always liked the term "86'ed" as well.

• "your ass is grass and i'm the lawnmower"

• "you don't even believe fat meat is greasy"

• "just as sure as grits are groceries"

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Montgomery Burns dialogue

"23 skidoo!"

"I'm really enjoying this so-called iced cream."

• "Your eyes may shine
    Your teeth may grit
    But this ___________
    You'll never never get"

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    had to call a 90 something year old southern man the other day. his wife picks up the phone and i overhear her calling him 'daddy' when she's letting him know about the call. Thought it was cute.

• When I was in junior high, I had two friends I'd call a lot: Todd and Lance (odd that I don't really know any Todds or Lances now--where'd they all go?).

Todd's dad was from deep East Texas and would say things like, "No, Ross, Todd went to the movin' pictures." He'd also use expressions like, "Well, whoopie-tye!" Or, "That's my favorite thing, right next to an ice water enema."

Whereas my friend Lance's mom had the all-time classic response to "Is Lance home?":

"No, hun...he went to do skateboards."

• LazerLazer 796 Posts
    "fair-to-midlin'"

as in "how you doin'" response, "fair-to-midlin'"

my fave.

• I dont usually use exclamations, but if I start to, I hope I use these:

Bully!

Capitol!

Huzzah!

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    More so a regional thing than an old-timey one, I talk with a lot of folks in the upper Midwestern states (Iowa, the Dakotas and Minnesota), who always use:

You betcha

• Capitol!

What's that supposed to mean?

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    The woman I work with is from Newfoundland (a much ridiculed but actually rad East coast province)and is a cross between a truck-driver/construction foreperson/pot-cookie baking grandmother. She was asked to approve picking up the tab for something the other day and her response was, "No way! They're asking me to buy a pig in a poke!" Huh?

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    rad

• "getting over like a fat rat in a cheese factory"

"like a Bull in China shop..."

"God dont like Ugly...."

"Haulin Ass..."

"Pin Joint..."

"Nookie..."

"Mamajamma.."

• Guy I used to know when I was a kid - he'd HAVE to be dead now - used to always say that a guy was "courting" a girl, if they were dating.

Only thing is, that thick Southern accent he had made it come out like "coating." It was years before it dawned on me what he meant.

• "monkeyshines"

• "what in Sam Hill is going on here"

• "ever since I was knee high to a junebug"

"Get Da' Bird........."

"Gimmie my Propers..."

• Capitol!

What's that supposed to mean?

much like the others, an exclamation of excellence... though I'm not sure if it spelled with the 'a', or the 'o'.

"My good sir, shall we adjourn to the bar room for several rounds of tipple?"
    "Indeed, sir. Capitol idea!"

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    high falutin'

malodorous

gobbeldy-gook

rapscallion (a personal favorite)

(worth) a pretty penny

pleb and underling